Gen 1: 2004-2005 Canyon rider to try drag racing bike 1st time ever - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 10-11-2014, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Canyon rider to try drag racing bike 1st time ever

Hi. I looked and read for quit some time but haven't quite found what I need so please be kind if I overlooked something obvious.

Been a canyon rider for over 20 years. Dragged a street car legally and illegally but never a bike once. I'm going with my buddy who has a stock 2010 zx14 nov.1. We're making tethers to tie into the side stand switch this weekend. Being I may never go again, I have a few questions. I have 2005 zx10 with muzzy slip on, 520 chain +2 rear and steering damper (set for canyon).

1. Can I strap the front without lowering the rear?
2. If so, will it benefit anything just doing front?
3. For the 3-5 runs I may get... Can I just strap one side or do you HAVE to strap both? I mean just buy one strap for left fork leg.
4. Is there any cheap/free/basic things I should do? TRE or anything?

Thanks!!
Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-11-2014, 12:23 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Caution - can be addicting!

Chasing another 1/2 a second can lead to mental anguish.

Not sure if you are aware of the following forum,
if not check it out. Lots of info.

http://www.psychobike.com/forums/forum.php
post #3 of 6 Old 10-11-2014, 12:42 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

1. Yes you can strap the front without lowering the rear
2. Strapping will help keep the front end down some, but not completely
3.There is not a strap for each side. Its one strap that runs from one caliper up over the frame to the other caliper. So no can't just do a single side
4. I don't have gen1 so I dunno what the free mods are for it. Use the search feature for that.

2011 ZX10R

Schnitz Racing reflash and tune with Woolich, TB slip on, EvoTech crash kit and rear spools, Hotbodies black undertail and tinted windscreen, Gsxr Brembo swap, Bestem carbon heel guards, Renthal dual compound grips, KD block off plates, BMR air filter, Bazzaz QS4, EK ZZZ gold chain & -1 Renthal sprocket, Gsxr gold headstem nut, Roaring Toyz rear link, Schnitz front strap kit, Rifleman 1/5 insert, Gregg's mirror deletes

SWB best time [email protected] 1.67 60ft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-11-2014, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

That makes more sense about the strap going to both sides... No info or pics I found showed that.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-11-2014, 07:03 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverslk View Post
That makes more sense about the strap going to both sides... No info or pics I found showed that.
there are ton of Pics and Information on this site for 1st Gen Drag racing you just need to search many years back even the Archives on this site no need to go to other forums all the fastest guys Stock Wheel base are here or have put the information what you need to know on THIS SITE.

With that said after your search you going to learn WHAT to DO but AFTER that the REAL Modification is going to BE SEAT TIME and practice. The 1st Gen ZX10R is the HARDEST BIKE SWB to LAUNCH because it is only 54in long with A TON OF POWER.....When you can master that Bike the rest are a piece of CAKE.....Good Luck as some already said it can be ADDICTING. but it a Good Way.

Bloo

Sent from My Computer via DSL mid to low service Firefox updated version, sometimes wireless sometimes Wire from the garage depending on connection speed.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-01-2014, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Well.... Done for the day. I figured magazine guys have run 9.7 in the reviews I have read, but I weigh 264lbs fully suited... My best guess was 10.7 @ 140. My bike has 40,000 miles on it and with my weight I think I did ok. What is everyone's thoughts?

Muzzy slip on, BMC air filter, +2 rear sprocket and 180/55 rear tire. It was cold and rainy....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	293546  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in