Gen 2: 2006-2007 Broke my Clutch Basket Rivets - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-23-2011, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Skype™ to eurichs07
Broke my Clutch Basket Rivets

Went to test and tune at my local track and made around 10 passes. Then I let my friend take it down the track because he only weighs 130lbs. He wheelied it and came down hard, smashing the midpipe into the oil pan. The flange pushed up into the oil pan and cracked it so it was leaking oil on the pipe. He shut it down right after the run because it was smoking pushed it back.

When we took off the oil pan there were some metal shavings and two dime size steel disks (the rivets from my clutch basket). I got lucky as hell that he cracked the oil pan because I would have never taken it off and found the rivets. They probably broke off the same run because there was hardly any internal damage. A few scratches on the case and a bolt head but nothing bad. I don't blame him for breaking it because it would have happen to me soon anyway.

I highly suggest welding your stock rivets to your basket, buying harder stainless replacement rivets, or a billet basket from Falicon to anyone who drag races. I got lucky, but this could have totally destroyed my motor!

I will be ordering a new billet basket from Falicon today and getting new rivets for my stock basket.

Video of him smashing the pipe.

Only one rivet holding the basket together.

She ain't to straight either. Could have caused some major damage if I ran it one more run!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-23-2011, 02:26 PM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

great..................one more thing I have to replace.......
post #3 of 9 Old 09-23-2011, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Skype™ to eurichs07
Called Falicon and they said that they don't make OEM replacement rivets because it is a common problem with these bikes. They do sell larger diameter rivets but you have to drill your stock basket and gear. I'm just going to go with a new billet one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-16-2013, 01:48 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

basket failure

i have a zx-10r 2007 im tired for the second time clutch basket failure. the first time one of the three rivets failed and then caused the whole basket failure. i got a new oem basket from ebay and installed. the second time i have used the same clutch disks but i changed the first two broken i have put used clean ones. now i have the second disk broken a small piece of it and the clutch basket with three cracks on the top at the ring. i do lots of wheelies but i am smooth slipping the clutch after the first failure sometimes im agressive. now im waiting for a used basket clutch from ebay to install it.
can you please tell me the reason for the failure of the disk and basket?
post #5 of 9 Old 08-16-2013, 02:10 PM
BigCat for Prez!

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe-kh View Post
i have a zx-10r 2007 im tired for the second time clutch basket failure. the first time one of the three rivets failed and then caused the whole basket failure. i got a new oem basket from ebay and installed. the second time i have used the same clutch disks but i changed the first two broken i have put used clean ones. now i have the second disk broken a small piece of it and the clutch basket with three cracks on the top at the ring. i do lots of wheelies but i am smooth slipping the clutch after the first failure sometimes im agressive. now im waiting for a used basket clutch from ebay to install it.
can you please tell me the reason for the failure of the disk and basket?
Order a billet basket from haysmachineworks.com u doing wheelies a lot is whats causing them to fracture and break. it doesn't if ur smooth on the clutch bec when it grabs its still a big jolt of force on the basket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
in reference to the man card issue, let me clarify it for everyone, " If a man builds a 1000 bridges and sucks one cock, that doesnt make him a bridge builder, it makes him a cock sucker..."
My bike is the fattest and slowest of all the G2s
post #6 of 9 Old 08-16-2013, 03:18 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I have had Tim Hays put in Hd rivets in the stock basket. 100 of runs and no issues.

https://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=131578

https://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=117796

2005 ZX-10R Akrapovic Ti Evo 2 w/CF LOR can, PC3 with custom map, Factory Pro velocity stacks

2009 ZX-10r Full Gen4 Brock's SS exhaust with CF 14" can, PC3, Secondary Butterflies Removed, Kawasaki Race Exhaust Cam, My Own TRE, Degreed Cams 109/108

2011 zx10r Lower'd 2" Frt & Rear, Stretched 8", Graves CF slipon, GUHL Flashed ECU
post #7 of 9 Old 08-16-2013, 03:55 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

You could try Vance and Hines they make a lot of billet clutch stuff. Spun the rivets on my clutch hub years ago bought their Gorilla hub no more problems. They should have a beefed up clutch basket available. If you can't get on from Falicon. Also try APE or MTC or check the Schnitz site they carry everything for drag racing. I had the MTC clutch components in my super comp drag bike 363hp never had a problem. The only thing it did was destroy the inner most fiber plate after maybe 2 or 3 passes. I bought the Barnett Kevlar fibers and that solved the problem.

Last edited by TechX; 08-16-2013 at 03:58 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-16-2013, 06:49 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Something else I keep forgetting about as well dam it bike should b done tomorrow n now in thinking about the clutch

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #9 of 9 Old 08-18-2013, 02:21 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

basket

ok thnx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in