Gen 4: 2011-2015 Best pass but night turned bad - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 10-12-2013, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Best pass but night turned bad

I just don't have good luck at the strip... night started great, first pass was my best pass ever. I don't think ill do any better for a long long time. Was weird i had proper slack at start of my very first, and fastest pass, then after burnout it got more slack which isn't a big deal slack changes on me but didn't have time to adjust it then suddenly i cut a great 60' lol.

But I did those four passes, plenty of time in between runs. Last run I wheelied and then they gave me the boot for going too fast without NHRA license. Talked them into letting me do short passes, did two short passes, kind of back to back, 6 minutes but only first gear passes too. But just messing around did a wheelie all of first gear on both of those for fun didn't slam down hard either but hit rev limiter.

Sat around for like half an hour left the track, went to get into it in first tire spun got into second ran out second and third then went to 6th and cruised. I really want to say it wasn't there when I started the bike up and left but then I heard a knocking noise kind of like when the bike was dropping 2 cylinders from the pcv firmware, had headphones in so sounded different i guess. Buddy said sounds like bottom end...idk what could of caused it oil just changed maybe few months ago with good stuff and bike only has 4k miles on it. But when i start the bike you can really hear it then it quiets down but still noticeable. Was really hoping exhaust leak from my pipe..but yea no.

Last edited by Johnn999; 10-12-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-12-2013, 02:23 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

So it spun a bearing?

2008 ZX-10r 68" Dime Piece BST wheels
Authorized Woolich Tuner - FLASHED BY SIK
post #3 of 11 Old 10-12-2013, 03:04 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

If you haven't experience it going into the next can tensioner if say its that. I started my motor after doing the pair valve. When I started it up I thought I'd dropped something down the butterflies. I actually thought the motor would blow!
Start it up, let it run until it's quiet then should be ok!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-12-2013, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx-sik-r View Post
So it spun a bearing?
I don't know really. Never had a bearing spun but I can't see it happening on relatively new oil low mileage motor? I mean yea it has a handful of drag passes on it but still. Oil level is fine 4k miles on the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
If you haven't experience it going into the next can tensioner if say its that. I started my motor after doing the pair valve. When I started it up I thought I'd dropped something down the butterflies. I actually thought the motor would blow!
Start it up, let it run until it's quiet then should be ok!
I will start it up probably monday when my shop buddy comes by to lend a ear into what he thinks it is. I am really hoping it's the CCT that just failed or whatever. Talked to a few people, couple think it's spun bearing one thinks it's the cam chain but I just don't know. Really hope it's not a spun bearing...$$$$
post #5 of 11 Old 10-12-2013, 05:22 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnn999 View Post
I don't know really. Never had a bearing spun but I can't see it happening on relatively new oil low mileage motor? I mean yea it has a handful of drag passes on it but still. Oil level is fine 4k miles on the bike.

I will start it up probably monday when my shop buddy comes by to lend a ear into what he thinks it is. I am really hoping it's the CCT that just failed or whatever. Talked to a few people, couple think it's spun bearing one thinks it's the cam chain but I just don't know. Really hope it's not a spun bearing...$$$$
From the way your describing it, it sounds like a CCT. It sounds identical to my buddies 2009 Honda CBR 600RR. We initially thought it was a spun rod bearing, until we tore into it. Sorry to hear about the engine trouble.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-12-2013, 06:22 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Mine lasted for about 20 seconds. I mean my motor really rattled loudly. It must sometimes get stuck in change over. I also had to blip my throttle too.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-12-2013, 09:42 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Drop the oil and see how it looks, if you spun a bearing you'll know. The CCT will be more of a rattle than a knock as previously posted.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-13-2013, 05:29 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

^Ya that's a good idea. You clearly need an oil change anyways lol.

Congrats on your new personal best.

2016 Ninja H2 - CANADAS Fastest 1/4 - 8.34 at 169mph - 208.4mph in the mile. Brocks Performance Stage 2 Package, MC Cycle works Intercooler, Full Polished Slash-Cut Exhaust, DNA Filter, PC5, Brocks Lowering Links, Brocks Front Strap Kit, BST Rim, Adams Performance Swingarm 7-11", Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen, Evotech Radiator Guard, Evotech Fork Sliders, Yoshimura Tail Tidy

2011 ZX10R - SOLD
post #9 of 11 Old 10-14-2013, 06:21 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

might not be a spun bearing check your clutch basket it has 3 rivets on back that tend to break off when riders start getting good 60' , just pull clutch cover and try to wiggle the whole basket note there should be no movement, i've know of atleast 7 or move thats done this
post #10 of 11 Old 10-15-2013, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Pulled my filter cut it open. In the grooves there are small shavings. I want to say they look like two different colors, but it's hard to tell i mean it could be the way the light is reflecting or just the way they were shaved off makes it look different. I don't suppose when I fried a clutch some of that would be what im seeing or does it not sound good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in