Gen 3: 2008-2010 best 1/4 mile gearing? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 08-23-2011, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider
 
Slow10r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ballwin Missouri
Posts: 795
Posting Frequency
 
best 1/4 mile gearing?

ok so i am ordering my extensions, sprocket, chain, and strap this week and wondering what rear sprocket to get. i am going with a 16 front, but cant decide the rear. what sprocket will help my times the best. right now with just -1 up front i am finishing the 1/4 at the top of 4th. the sprocket will be for the track only, then gonna run either a stock or lower than stock for my street/everyday riding. i was planning on going up 2, but now i am thinking to do more since i will have a 2nd rear one for the street. what would get me to the top of 5th? i will be running about 6 inches of stretch, and a shinko drag radial for traction.

2012 Zx10r- [email protected]
Past Bikes
2011 Zx10r- Bolt Ons
2006 Zx10r- [email protected] 170hp 86tq
2005 Zx10r-9.46 at 145- 158hp 81tq
2009 Zx10r- 10.1 at 140mph 154hp 69tq.. R.I.P. 9-11-11
1998 Zx9r- 10.9 at 129
Slow10r is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 08-23-2011, 05:01 PM
Slow Poke
 
bgmagma10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tulsa ok
Posts: 5,584
Posting Frequency
Images: 10
           
Ok from what I believe you are 17 41 stock. I'll tell you right now the best straight up drag strip gearing I have found being low and long is -2 +2. I was crossing the traps @ 152 almost top of 6th. Of course this depends on your weight...
bgmagma10 is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 08-23-2011, 05:15 PM
Squid
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 44
Posting Frequency
 
sweet
evo8u is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 Old 08-23-2011, 05:36 PM
Slow Poke
 
bgmagma10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tulsa ok
Posts: 5,584
Posting Frequency
Images: 10
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow10r View Post
ok so i am ordering my extensions, sprocket, chain, and strap this week and wondering what rear sprocket to get. i am going with a 16 front, but cant decide the rear. what sprocket will help my times the best. right now with just -1 up front i am finishing the 1/4 at the top of 4th. the sprocket will be for the track only, then gonna run either a stock or lower than stock for my street/everyday riding. i was planning on going up 2, but now i am thinking to do more since i will have a 2nd rear one for the street. what would get me to the top of 5th? i will be running about 6 inches of stretch, and a shinko drag radial for traction.
I'm -1 +2 as well right now. You can get a -2 for the front cheap like 30 bucks instead of the 70 or so for the rear, and it should be perfect. I'll tell ya ridin with that much gear at only 6 over makes it a really fun bike to ride at the track! IMO
bgmagma10 is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 08-23-2011, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider
 
Slow10r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ballwin Missouri
Posts: 795
Posting Frequency
 
Well I ride the bike daily on highway so I don't wanna go more than 1 down up front, I would rather just have 2 rears to swap, since they are quick and easy. I was just wondering if I should go up 3 4 or 5 in rear. I am 190ish suited. I will be trapping low 140s

2012 Zx10r- [email protected]
Past Bikes
2011 Zx10r- Bolt Ons
2006 Zx10r- [email protected] 170hp 86tq
2005 Zx10r-9.46 at 145- 158hp 81tq
2009 Zx10r- 10.1 at 140mph 154hp 69tq.. R.I.P. 9-11-11
1998 Zx9r- 10.9 at 129
Slow10r is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 08-23-2011, 09:24 PM
GP Star
 
zx racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Scottsboro, AL
Posts: 3,763
Posting Frequency
      
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow10r View Post
Well I ride the bike daily on highway so I don't wanna go more than 1 down up front, I would rather just have 2 rears to swap, since they are quick and easy. I was just wondering if I should go up 3 4 or 5 in rear. I am 190ish suited. I will be trapping low 140s
-1 +4 will be plenty for your weight. should put you top of 6th gear at da line.

05 ZX-10R SWB.
zx racer is online now  
post #7 of 15 Old 08-24-2011, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider
 
Slow10r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ballwin Missouri
Posts: 795
Posting Frequency
 
k good, i will be ordering my set up this weekend

2012 Zx10r- [email protected]
Past Bikes
2011 Zx10r- Bolt Ons
2006 Zx10r- [email protected] 170hp 86tq
2005 Zx10r-9.46 at 145- 158hp 81tq
2009 Zx10r- 10.1 at 140mph 154hp 69tq.. R.I.P. 9-11-11
1998 Zx9r- 10.9 at 129
Slow10r is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 09-21-2011, 12:53 AM
GP Rider
 
KIRK_ADAMS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,047
Posting Frequency
     
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx racer View Post
-1 +4 will be plenty for your weight. should put you top of 6th gear at da line.
x2....my bike was -1 +5 at the end of the year and it ran outta gear around 1000' with a 200 pound rider

Stock motor, Grudge ZX10 (( Walter White ))
https://www.facebook.com/kirk.adams.758
KIRK_ADAMS is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 09-26-2011, 06:04 PM
Slow Poke
 
bgmagma10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tulsa ok
Posts: 5,584
Posting Frequency
Images: 10
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK_ADAMS View Post
x2....my bike was -1 +5 at the end of the year and it ran outta gear around 1000' with a 200 pound rider
At what mph? Cuz I just went -2 +2 and trapped 147 at the very top of 5th. I was actually talkin to Duane from Cycle Concepts and he said that some guys are goin -2 +3-5 Which I think if I go +2 more it would put me top of 6th...
bgmagma10 is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 09-26-2011, 09:16 PM
GP Rider
 
codyc_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Deridder LA
Posts: 1,764
Posting Frequency
           
If your trapping low 140s then with -1 +4 you will be at the top of 5th. Should do around 147 in 5th with that gearing.


Sponsored by:
Vaughan Racing
Synthetic Shield
Moline Bar
codyc_13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
8th mile/1/4 mile times and mods rated zx Strip 14 06-29-2011 08:39 AM
mojave mile, march-6/the fastest mile in the west CHARLIEZX600 General Motorcycle Discussions 9 03-08-2010 11:40 PM
08 ZX10 Quarter mile Gearing? 347 tony Strip 27 08-31-2009 07:24 AM
1/8 mile gearing? zx-sik-r Strip 63 08-30-2009 07:01 AM
Heads UP Quarter Mile 1/4 mile times olec4 Race and Stunt 9 03-03-2006 06:52 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome