anyone running Hook up on the street - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 12-26-2012, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

anyone running Hook up on the street

I just ordered a Shinko hook up. And now kind of having second thoughts. I have had good luck with the stealth on my old gsxr 600. But figured id try a hook up for my 10r. Now I'm a little hesitant bc i ride on the street. But wanted a stickier tire for the spring time when its a little colder at the track. Anyway anyone have expierence with them on the street? I didnt want to spend the money yet for the michelin until i get useuse to the bike i didnt think i would benifit from it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-26-2012, 08:12 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I wouldn't use a Michelin for what your goals are. I wasn't a fan of mine at all. Very greasy when it was hot out, and not very confident inspiring the corners! I ended up switching to a Dunlop Q2 and I love them. Very sticky in all temperatures, and they stick for days in the corners. You don't get as much lean angle as you do with Michelin's, but I don't have the need to drag knee on the streets.

I will most likely be switching over to the Q2's again on my ZX-10r since I still do street riding, but also frequent the 1/4 mile track.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-27-2012, 01:24 AM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

I put a few miles on my hookup on the street. Thats usually on the way to and from the drag strip though. No good in the way of cornering, but I also have a 180/55 on a stock 10R rim, so its pretty flat and doesnt offer much lean angle.

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-27-2012, 12:52 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

shinko hookup isnt a very good tire for the street its to damn flat and soft ! shinko makes a 003 that is pretty sticky tire and will last while if you street ride and hookup good at the track.

05 ZX-10R SWB.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-27-2012, 11:44 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

The hook up seemed a little greasy to me also, probably wouldn't buy one just as my street tire but a great strip tire.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-28-2012, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Ive had nothing but the 003 on my gixxer and loved it for my riding. About half streethalf strip do figured might as well try the hook up. . Don't expect too many miles from it. But iy will be in the 40s up here when tracks open so i figured i could use the extra grip. Well see
post #7 of 10 Old 12-28-2012, 10:14 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I bought a used stock wheel from a member on this site with the brake rotor and everything on it. I had messed with a few gearing options so I had various sprockets laying around so I put one sprocket on the wheel with the hook up for the track and a different sprocket on my original wheel with a Q2. When I want to hit the track its just a matter of swapping out the rear wheel and putting two bolts in for the front strap. Less than 30min I'm ready to go.

2008 ZX-10R | Black | Arrow Headers | AreaP Slip-on CF | K&N Filter |GUTS ECU Flash By Guhl Motors | Block-Off Plates | Fender Eliminator | Clear Alternatives Integrated Taillight | Rifleman's 1/5th Throttle Insert | Speedohealer | Pro-Grip 719s | Vortex Bar Ends | Puig Z DB Windscreen | CBR1000 Mirrors | Vortex 520 Sprockets -1/+1 | RK Gold 520 Chain | Galfer SS Lines | Pazzo Shorty Levers | Vortex Gas Cap | Rebuilt Damper | Lightech Rearsets | Much More To Come
post #8 of 10 Old 12-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

i luv my hook up on the track and street have had no problems at all
post #9 of 10 Old 12-28-2012, 02:18 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by BratNetwork View Post
I bought a used stock wheel from a member on this site with the brake rotor and everything on it. I had messed with a few gearing options so I had various sprockets laying around so I put one sprocket on the wheel with the hook up for the track and a different sprocket on my original wheel with a Q2. When I want to hit the track its just a matter of swapping out the rear wheel and putting two bolts in for the front strap. Less than 30min I'm ready to go.
thats what I do too. I even swap my rear rotor over though. 16/39 on the street and 16/44 on the strip gearing. Street tire is a Michelin Pilot Power and my Strip tire is the Hookup.

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
post #10 of 10 Old 12-28-2012, 06:01 PM
Grease Monkey Bandit

Posting Frequency

Garage
I toasted a hook up (200/55) this summer, wasn't great on corners and it took some effort to get it thru them but I didn't care much since I'm stretched any way, worked fine in straight line. Was flatter in the middle compared to other tires, its designed that way for a reason, hence "hook up".

Switched to the 2ct's after but might try something else next season.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com App

"Homewrecker" Gen3 custom build by ZX-SIK-R in progress.... check the build thread: https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f28/airb...ad-140226.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in