Another shock question - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 10-07-2013, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Another shock question

Here's a question for u guys that have done the busa shock on your bike......does it feel that much more stiff to you over your zx10 shock? I put my busa shock on and it feels soo stiff....with the comp all the way soft it barely "squats" an inch or so....so I switch back to the factory shock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-07-2013, 08:48 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

i have gen2 busa shock and dont feel its to stiff... how much do you weight ?

05 ZX-10R SWB.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-07-2013, 05:44 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Ok,shock 101....just cause a shock squats doesn't mean it's working right.you want a very progressive squat...if it squats too fast it will spin or wheelie depending on track conditions,hp,etc.your weight,gear and clutch hand play huge roles in how your shock reacts.i have a 14 shock on my bike and it's worked great until I've added gear and now it's bottoming out quickly at the start so I bought a Penske.Busa shocks aren't always the answer.suspension setup takes time on a drag bike.you can't just throw a shock at a bike and make a few passes and expect it to be money.put a zip tie around the shaft of the shock and move it to the top before a pass.after your run look and see how much it moved towards the bottom,if it's on the bump stop it's bottoming out.you can try adding more spring but always remember the more spring you add the more it affects rebound..too fast of rebound will cause the bike to spin or get very bouncy down track.9/10 stock shocks off any bike will get you by but you will either need it revealed and sprung or buy an aftermarket shock.

A shock built for your setup is FUCKING amazing at the track...after it's dialed in your bike will feel like a whole new machine and you will throw that Busa shock in the garbage

2008 ZX-10r 68" Dime Piece BST wheels
Authorized Woolich Tuner - FLASHED BY SIK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-07-2013, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm 213 unsuited.....yea I'm familiar with the whole idea about having the susp dialed in for correct weight and no and etc but I'm just trying to figure out if I made a good move by getting this shock bc it is soo much more stiff than my stock zx10 shock
post #5 of 10 Old 10-07-2013, 10:56 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Obviously you don't if that's your reply

post #6 of 10 Old 10-07-2013, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

What I mean is I have 2 other bikes at my disposal with revalved shocks done by bmcracetech.....and they r ok and like u said earlier to have a bikes susp dialed in is crazy good on the track but I am just trying to see if anybody else with a busa shock if their shock is as stiff as mine?.........I agree with ur comment about u jus cant put a shock on and expect it to be money bc I think that's where I'm at now......but I also know I can't afford a Penske or a jri or a Brock's......so let me ask u this sik r.......if u had a busa shock and a stock 10 shock which would u revalve?
post #7 of 10 Old 10-07-2013, 11:33 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedboitoo View Post
What I mean is I have 2 other bikes at my disposal with revalved shocks done by bmcracetech.....and they r ok and like u said earlier to have a bikes susp dialed in is crazy good on the track but I am just trying to see if anybody else with a busa shock if their shock is as stiff as mine?.........I agree with ur comment about u jus cant put a shock on and expect it to be money bc I think that's where I'm at now......but I also know I can't afford a Penske or a jri or a Brock's......so let me ask u this sik r.......if u had a busa shock and a stock 10 shock which would u revalve?

Neither,I'd revalve a 14 shock before a Busa shock...it seems to have to much spring IMO.

post #8 of 10 Old 11-07-2013, 09:42 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

the spring holds up the bike. the valving just slows down the reaction to changes in forces.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-07-2013, 10:17 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I love my reval 14 shock works great for me, im 225 suited my best 60 is a 1.37 hand clutch, I hated the BUSA shock I ran gen1 and gen2 14 shock a lot better to me. I really want a big boy shock lol........

Tone.R {checkmate}
Do what makes u happy whatever it is.....Roberson Racing
post #10 of 10 Old 12-30-2013, 05:32 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

To the op, it seems like maybe you have to much preload on the shock. Have you set the sag? My stock 06 shock squatted to much when it was swb. It would pivot at the arm lifting the front tire rather than the whole bike lifting and pivoting off the rear tire. I switched to a gen 1 Busa shock and was much happier. I was 215-220 suited when I raced my 10. 66" wb best 60's of 1.39-1.40. I'm currently going through the same problem on my 14 and a Busa shock will not fit on it. I'm using a gen 2 Busa spring on the stock 14 shock. I think I still need a little more spring but mostly need better valving. If I launch hard enough to go 1.40 or below the bike bounces back to fast jumping all over the place.

'06 "Corn Burner" Edition ZX10R
w/ a lot of bolt-ons
PERFORMANCE CYCLE 2 Racing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in