Gen 3: 2008-2010 Advice on launching with stock wheelbase - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 10-13-2014, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Advice on launching with stock wheelbase

Hi, for the last few years I have been running a 2004 Z1000 but decided it was time for a change and a bit more power. I used to drag race in street bike back in the early 80's, but now I just do the odd run what you brung for a bit of fun. I took my 2010 Gen 3 to the strip for the first time and I have to admit I was struggling a bit. I was getting 1.9 60' time with a best of 10.3 at 143mph. I think I need a bit of advice from the seasoned racers on how to get this off the line better as I was not doing it justice.

I weigh in at around 175 without kit. The bike is stock height and length, stock motor with PCv and Akrapovic end can and link pipe, but I did have the front strapped. Gearing is -1 front plus 2 rear. I should add that I have replaced the clip-ons with an ABM handlebar conversion (I just don't find clip-ons comfortable).

I had a gopro type camera fitted and I have included a link below of a video of my best run (10.3). You will see that I am short shifting into second at around 8k as the front wheel starts to lift to control the wheelie. Crossing the stripe at the top end of 5th gear. Any constructive advice gratefully received. I won't be stretching it or lowering it as it is my street ride and trackday bike, I just want to do a bit better on the strip as it is

10.3 @143mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-13-2014, 11:11 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanUK View Post
Hi, for the last few years I have been running a 2004 Z1000 but decided it was time for a change and a bit more power. I used to drag race in street bike back in the early 80's, but now I just do the odd run what you brung for a bit of fun. I took my 2010 Gen 3 to the strip for the first time and I have to admit I was struggling a bit. I was getting 1.9 60' time with a best of 10.3 at 143mph. I think I need a bit of advice from the seasoned racers on how to get this off the line better as I was not doing it justice.

I weigh in at around 175 without kit. The bike is stock height and length, stock motor with PCv and Akrapovic end can and link pipe, but I did have the front strapped. Gearing is -1 front plus 2 rear. I should add that I have replaced the clip-ons with an ABM handlebar conversion (I just don't find clip-ons comfortable).

I had a gopro type camera fitted and I have included a link below of a video of my best run (10.3). You will see that I am short shifting into second at around 8k as the front wheel starts to lift to control the wheelie. Crossing the stripe at the top end of 5th gear. Any constructive advice gratefully received. I won't be stretching it or lowering it as it is my street ride and trackday bike, I just want to do a bit better on the strip as it is

10.3 @143mph
From you vid you seem to be doing everything right. The only thing I would say is you have to get 1st gear to redline before shifting that will improve your sixty foot time. It can be hard to do but your losing forward thrust by shifting to second early.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-13-2014, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Problem I was having was the front wheel lifting, which is why I ended up short shifting into second. If I rev it out I just end up with a huge wheelie. Here is a slo mo video taken of another (slower) run where the front lifted too much.

Slo Mo video
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 10-13-2014, 12:22 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Try more rpms and slipping the clutch a lot more on take off. I'm SWB but only -1 and on gen4. I hold it between 8-9k rpm. Light goes green try to pin the throttle and slip the clutch to keep the front end down. You'll feel like your riding the clutch hard...because you are. But that's kinda what you gotta do SWB. You probably won't be off the clutch completely til a cpl thousand rpm before you shift. Everyone has different technique, but watch some of tony ferlands youtube videos. You'll see what I'm talking about.

2011 ZX10R

Schnitz Racing reflash and tune with Woolich, TB slip on, EvoTech crash kit and rear spools, Hotbodies black undertail and tinted windscreen, Gsxr Brembo swap, Bestem carbon heel guards, Renthal dual compound grips, KD block off plates, BMR air filter, Bazzaz QS4, EK ZZZ gold chain & -1 Renthal sprocket, Gsxr gold headstem nut, Roaring Toyz rear link, Schnitz front strap kit, Rifleman 1/5 insert, Gregg's mirror deletes

SWB best time [email protected] 1.67 60ft
post #5 of 16 Old 10-13-2014, 12:52 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanUK View Post
Problem I was having was the front wheel lifting, which is why I ended up short shifting into second. If I rev it out I just end up with a huge wheelie. Here is a slo mo video taken of another (slower) run where the front lifted too much.

Slo Mo video
From looking at your slo mo vid. I would say you need to get your chest down on the tank more to keep the front wheel down and get to to redline in first. Your weight needs to be a bit more forward on launch. IMHO.

Last edited by TechX; 10-13-2014 at 06:11 PM.
post #6 of 16 Old 10-13-2014, 01:50 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Good thread I was gonna ask this question eventually.
post #7 of 16 Old 10-13-2014, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thanks jgarst and TechX, good advice. I will give it a go. I know not having clip-ons doesn't help as there is not enough weight over the front wheel, but if I can get it into the 9's I would be happy, so more practice needed :)
post #8 of 16 Old 10-13-2014, 02:58 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I need to practice my launches for when I start racing. I am scared I am going to loop it.

2009 R6 Racebike - Up for sale!!! Let me know if interested.

2013 ZX10R- SOLD

2008 ZX10R- SOLD
post #9 of 16 Old 10-13-2014, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent1101 View Post
I need to practice my launches for when I start racing. I am scared I am going to loop it.
A few sessions at the drag strip will help with your starts on the grid. Give you more confidence and also hopefully give you an advantage over those that haven't bothered to practice their starts
post #10 of 16 Old 10-13-2014, 04:00 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

from watching the video of the tach, you need to slip the clutch a bit more, as in dont let the rpms drop so much.

And when watching the slow mo vid you need to get your head more down. and elbows/hands in as soon as you leave the line.

i myself start with both feet on the ground(have a reverse shifter GP), and try and put my head and body on the tank(under the windshield) and hold it there while i launch.

my best 60ft like that is 1.64 at stock wheelbase on a GSXR 1000 K6, stock motor , pump gas, footshifting. and im 210 lbs suited. Went [email protected]
but that was lowered

also tried out last time that i was at the track an almost completely stock K7 1000 , only mod was a dual leo vince slip on. Everything else stock, stock height , stock length and no strap. Went [email protected] with 1.77 60ft

this video of Tony ferland on a stock wheelbase bike, shows exactly how to do it. Notice how he slips the clutch, and how he pulls his body and head down when he launches. Also hands and elbows in towards the bike

GEN 5: ZX10R "Winter Test Edition"
Gen 2 Hayabusa [email protected] // All motor // pump gas
GSX-R 1000 K6 // SWB(56") [email protected] // stock motor , pump gas & footshifting
GSX-R 1000 K7 @ 64"// [email protected] //

Last edited by GSX-R//Iceland; 10-13-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in