2013 1/8th mile disappointment - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-16-2013, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

2013 1/8th mile disappointment

I took the bike to the strip for the first time last weekend. It was about 60 degree's out and after sunset. Guhl flash, pc5 w/ custom tuning link dyno tune, and graves slip on. I don't have my timeslips on me but I have a stack at home with 7.2-7.3 second times. 60 foots were my crutch @ 2.0-1.9. I tried with traction control 1 and 2, and without it all together. Tried a burnout which really made me spin out of the hole. I had some odd situations at the top of 1st gear where it would suddenly hit the limiter like it was either spinning the tire or slipping the clutch. I still dont know which one was happening. My best run i had a 1.88 60ft but then at the top of 1st gear the tire came up and when it came down it bounced my shifter and the bike went into neutral. I managed a 7.23 on that run. Overall I have a bad taste in my mouth from the night. All the other 1k's were doing 6.xx second times but me. My mph was 110 almost everytime, but I just couldn't figure out how to launch this thing. Any advice on how to launch a stock bike would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-16-2013, 04:08 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung Fu Panda View Post
I took the bike to the strip for the first time last weekend. It was about 60 degree's out and after sunset. Guhl flash, pc5 w/ custom tuning link dyno tune, and graves slip on. I don't have my timeslips on me but I have a stack at home with 7.2-7.3 second times. 60 foots were my crutch @ 2.0-1.9. I tried with traction control 1 and 2, and without it all together. Tried a burnout which really made me spin out of the hole. I had some odd situations at the top of 1st gear where it would suddenly hit the limiter like it was either spinning the tire or slipping the clutch. I still dont know which one was happening. My best run i had a 1.88 60ft but then at the top of 1st gear the tire came up and when it came down it bounced my shifter and the bike went into neutral. I managed a 7.23 on that run. Overall I have a bad taste in my mouth from the night. All the other 1k's were doing 6.xx second times but me. My mph was 110 almost everytime, but I just couldn't figure out how to launch this thing. Any advice on how to launch a stock bike would be appreciated.
This bike's do not launch first gear is too tall. I know the feeling I went to the 1/4 with some friends and I'd lose a lot of ground up to the 1/8th then I'd run them down pretty hard. I'm not the best for advice but I can restate what I've been told. Most people launch around 6k rpms unless its stretched. You've got to find the right speed for releasing the clutch to keep the rpms up.

Could the tire spin/slipper clutch issue you talked about be the traction control kicking in? That's what I'd guess the front started to lift so it came on. Keep your weight forward. Or you've burnt your clutch out.

Try changing the sprockets to 16 front and 42 rear if you wanna keep it as a nice ride on the street. If you want it more for the strip stretch it and get aggressive with the sprocket change. Also you can by a front end strap to keep the front down. If your willing to spend more money you need to do the Brocks performance clutch mod and upgraded spring kit maybe even the clutch cushion kit. Then you'll get where you wanna be. If not then add a quick shifter.

Here's a link to a similar thread I had. Lots of good advice.
https://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=168105

Last edited by cooter; 09-16-2013 at 04:12 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-16-2013, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I thought maybe the tire spin/clutch slip w/e made it seem to hit limiter might have been the Traction control but I thought that it would just cut ignition stopping it from climbing rpms. Thanks for your suggestions. I do have sprockets at home waiting but so far its still a bit to much for me and until im bored with its current speed I'll wait on installing them. I did lean against my tank as much as possible to keep the front down. I fear sprockets will really make that more difficult. I think my clutch is still fine, and I think I need to focus on getting to full throttle faster while slipping the clutch. I found most of the time I wasn't doing that, partly because I'm still not sure how much I can twist it w/o coming up or suddenly 12 o'clocking. I might try to get back there 1 more time this season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-16-2013, 08:28 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung Fu Panda View Post
I thought maybe the tire spin/clutch slip w/e made it seem to hit limiter might have been the Traction control but I thought that it would just cut ignition stopping it from climbing rpms. Thanks for your suggestions. I do have sprockets at home waiting but so far its still a bit to much for me and until im bored with its current speed I'll wait on installing them. I did lean against my tank as much as possible to keep the front down. I fear sprockets will really make that more difficult. I think my clutch is still fine, and I think I need to focus on getting to full throttle faster while slipping the clutch. I found most of the time I wasn't doing that, partly because I'm still not sure how much I can twist it w/o coming up or suddenly 12 o'clocking. I might try to get back there 1 more time this season.
If the rpms suddenly climbed without the bike accelerating that sounds like the clutch slipping.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-16-2013, 09:04 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

If you wanna drag it spend the couple bucks on lowering links and a schnitz front strap to lower the center of gravity of the bike. These two items are CRITICAL if you're going to have any success at the strip. If you want to run stock wheelbase there is usually another inch or so you can add to the WB buy just moving the rear wheel rearward although you may need to add a link or two the chain. For 1/8 of 1/4mi passes you really want to be geared BUT its's not absolutely necessary if you're just a weekend warrior. I weigh 150lbs and on my 05 10r at stock wheelbase was able to consistently cut sub 1.55 60ft's and that was with the stock gearing so don't let anyone tell you it's not possible. When you leave the tree go to wide open throttle and use the clutch to moderate wheelstand. Be in a tuck when you hit it, transfer as much of your weight as possible forward by laying out on the bike damn near dragging your feet until the 1-2 shift. Get settled in, pull your elbows and toes out of the wind, press your chin down on the gas tank, and hit all your shift points. Congrats now go pick up that 9.20 slip..........I just noticed you were sub 110mph in the 1/8mi. Believe it or not your bike is capable of 125mph in the 1/8th

3127 land speed record holder (retired for now)

Last edited by Lil Sal; 09-16-2013 at 09:12 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-16-2013, 09:33 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

good info right here ^^^

05 ZX-10R SWB.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-28-2013, 11:33 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

dam.. wish I would have read this before I went to the track last night. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in