1st time drag strip! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 03-18-2012, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

1st time drag strip!

Just got back from the strip. Got to run 4 passes and 2 of them were somewhat respectable. The other 2 I had wheelie issue, and then traction issues (got beat by a VROD! F**K!). Bike is all stock except a slipon. strapped. and lowered.

Reaction times were pretty inconsistent .65 to 1.05 which i guess is part of the process..

1st run ever i ran 11.08
reaction: .83
60: 2.01
330: 5.01
1/8: 7.34
I know for this run my launch was not good and I didnt necesarily get full throttle even with the insert...

my second run was better because i had gotten rid of some of the butterflys associated with a virgin run

reaction :1.04 (shit)
60: 1.9
330: 4.80
1/8: 7.2
for a total pass time of 10.98 (broke 11!!!! hell yeah!)

I felt better about getting full throttle on this pass... but when i shifted into second I know the tire broke loose for a second which definetly added sometime.

I figure next month i will do the test and tune then actually compete in the bracket. and get a shitload more runs.. first there computer system went down and delayed it and hour and a half, then like every car that went down the strip, broke down.. it was so delayed!!

I will post video once i get it loaded.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-18-2012, 09:15 AM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

I've only done this 3 or 4 test and tune days total. For the reaction time, leave on the last yellow, not on the green. For the 60-foot times ... mine have been in the same range, got to work on that.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #3 of 13 Old 03-19-2012, 08:54 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

what year is your bike and do have any mods, what kind of gearing are you running
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-19-2012, 09:20 AM
Slow Poke

Posting Frequency

Good job man! Welcome to the drag racing world.. For now, don't even worry about your reaction time. Just worry about your 60ft and 330. The combonation of those 2 will tell you how well your slipping the clutch and getting on the gas. With practice you can get your 60's down in the 1.6x's or better swb. Once you get lots of seat time, your times will drop pretty quick. What will also help you a lot, if you have a stock seat take it off and sit on the battery. Its a little uncomfortable but it helps a lot! Good luck man!
post #5 of 13 Old 03-19-2012, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Hey thanks for the advice... I feel like next time I get to go I will be much better. I only got 4 runs and they took like 2 hours so It kinda sucked.. Sitting in line in the hot sun with a full suit on. And to make it worse I couldnt stand because my bike is too low and the kickstand is stock.

So I think seat time will be the best for me, the guys were saying 15 runs is normal for the test and tune.. not 4..
post #6 of 13 Old 03-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Slow Poke

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgraver View Post
Hey thanks for the advice... I feel like next time I get to go I will be much better. I only got 4 runs and they took like 2 hours so It kinda sucked.. Sitting in line in the hot sun with a full suit on. And to make it worse I couldnt stand because my bike is too low and the kickstand is stock.

So I think seat time will be the best for me, the guys were saying 15 runs is normal for the test and tune.. not 4..
No problem man. Yeah TNT's are always a hit and miss here as well. Sometimes we get a bunch of runs sometimes not. I got to ride a buddys 2011 busa this last weekend and only made 6 passes on 6 hours so I definitely feel your pain. Man you should find a little drop off in the asphalt or somethin to put your kickstand in. Screw sitting on it ALL day!
post #7 of 13 Old 03-19-2012, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Yeah I was able find a crack and loosen the straps a few times.. my friend had a good idea of buying a used kickstand and cutting that one so he has an extra for when lowered.

There are plenty of cracks in the waiting zone though.. Its really sad that this track doesnt have more funding. Coming from the mainland Im used to drags and tracks having all sorts billboards and sponsors and shit.. this place is lucky to have a nicely paved road for the pits! From what I hear its the oldest drag strip in the country! atleast thats what they say!
post #8 of 13 Old 03-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Slow Poke

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgraver View Post
Yeah I was able find a crack and loosen the straps a few times.. my friend had a good idea of buying a used kickstand and cutting that one so he has an extra for when lowered.

There are plenty of cracks in the waiting zone though.. Its really sad that this track doesnt have more funding. Coming from the mainland Im used to drags and tracks having all sorts billboards and sponsors and shit.. this place is lucky to have a nicely paved road for the pits! From what I hear its the oldest drag strip in the country! atleast thats what they say!
Wow! Another idea. I've herd about doin it but haven't tried, is cutting a kickstand down and welding a nut on the botton side and screwing a bolt in it. So you can adjust the height of the kickstand with the bolt. Worth a try. I hear ya on that man. A lot of smaller strips struggle a lot because they don't have many big events to bring in good money.. Same thing happened to my local track.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-19-2012, 03:26 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

nice time man and welcome to the addiction lol... seat time will help lower them times so the more you go the faster you will get. wat rpm was you launching at ?

05 ZX-10R SWB.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

glad to see another guy jumping into drag. its freakin funnnnnn man. youll be addicted almost guaranteed!! like everyone else said, seat time seat time seat time!!

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in