10s lay over on the big end - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 03-18-2009, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

10s lay over on the big end

I have a 08 zx-10. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd she is nasty. I pull every gsxr 1000k with the same mods as I do in these gears. But in 4th she lays over and the 1000k starts to mph. My question is why do the kawis do this. do they take timing out? I would like to fix it but I don't know where to start.

My mods are; lowered, strapped, beet exhaust, 520 conversion, one down up front, tire, and Me (180 lb rider)

I will give you an example from sunday when I went to the track. Raced a 1000k with the same mods.

My time

1.7059 60 ft
4.3581 330 ft
6.43 @ 118.70 in the 1/8
9.7693 @ 146.15 1/4

His time

1.6959 60 ft
4.3809 330 ft
6.4686 @ 117.86 in the 1/8
9.8074 @ 146.63 1/4

Even on the roll ons I do, I pull in 2nd and 3rd and then they crawl on me in 4th. The bike has the power but for some reason it is just no there in 4th.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-18-2009, 12:11 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to HAYESTRX250R
1st, 2nd, and 3rd are very close in spread. Probably a bigger jump in ratio 3rd to 4th but I'd have to see the #'s. Maybe someone has that info will jump in. Another thing is Flywheel weight and torque. Your might have slightly less torque and lighter flywheel so the taller gears start to effect you more. Are you using your shift light? You may want to try shifting at a different RPM going into 4th than you do 1,2,3, at your next TestnTune. BTW was the other rider much lighter than you?
post #3 of 15 Old 03-18-2009, 12:19 AM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

What's the problem...you got him in MPH in the 1/8th and close in the 1/4.....what's that got to do with 4th gear?....BTW with gearing only I can do 146mph on my 1st Gen no performance MODs dontknow:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 03-18-2009, 12:21 AM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil View Post
What's the problem...you got him in MPH in the 1/8th and close in the 1/4.....what's that got to do with 4th gear?....BTW with gearing only I can do 146mph on my 1st Gen no performance MODs dontknow:

edit....and in 4th Gear with a -1/+1
post #5 of 15 Old 03-18-2009, 03:47 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

It could be aerodynamics because you're getting into the speed range where it's going to matter. Are you tucking down well? Do you have a windscreen that throws enough air over your head? Are you a really wide-shouldered person? Are you pointing your toes in?

I got nothing
post #6 of 15 Old 03-18-2009, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
It could be aerodynamics because you're getting into the speed range where it's going to matter. Are you tucking down well? Do you have a windscreen that throws enough air over your head? Are you a really wide-shouldered person? Are you pointing your toes in?
I thought it might be the aerodynamics of the bike. I am as tucked as one can get btw. With my head sideways laying on the tank and all. I am not very wide. The opponent in this particular race is about 20 lb heavier than me. I was talking with the mechanic of my bike tonight and he has built an 05 that went 8.90s and 06 that went 8.60s. He said all the 10s he owned did this and not just the 08.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-18-2009, 05:12 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Could definitely be bike aeros. Where are you located? There's a guy called shiphteey on www.dcsportbikes.com who does Maxton Mile type-runs and holds some records. He runs a zx12 but knows the Kawi family really well. He's very responsive and freely shares his knowledge so if you don't get some more feedback here you could try signing on there and sending him a pm. Tell him I referred you. I don't know if he posts here or not.

I got nothing
post #8 of 15 Old 03-27-2009, 12:28 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

You need to advance the timing slightly and it will cure your problem....Just call "Sal" at ACE Performance and he can put you where you need to be !!!! TRUST ME SAL IS THE MAN WHEN IT COMES DOWN TO THE KAWASAKI ZX-10'S....AND OH I FORGOT YOU CAN CALL MR. GARTH ALSO HE KNOWS A GREAT DEAL ABOUT THEM TOOOOO.....YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH EITHER ONE OF THEM GUYS....

Last edited by WRECKSHOP; 03-27-2009 at 12:29 AM. Reason: additions
post #9 of 15 Old 03-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Whats the number and where is ace performance located??
post #10 of 15 Old 03-27-2009, 09:31 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Once upon a time one of the glossy mags did a wind tunnel comparo on the 1st gen Busa, the GSXR 1K(06, I believe), and the 06 10R (the zx14 might have been in there... I forget). It might have been Squid Rider, now that I think about it.

Anyway, they came to some neat conclusions regarding the Zook's. The Busa with proper body position was slippery... and everyone expects that. The zx10r had a lower COD WITHOUT a rider on it than the GSXR, but the COD of the Zook WENT DOWN with a rider on it, while the ZX's went up. Overall, both the Zooks had better aero's with a rider on board. However, the difference is minimal and has very little effect intil you're well into the tripple digits.

On the other hand, I've -NEVER- had any stock/similarly modded bike pull on my 10R up top... even with me on it (tall, gangly, and 190-sh suited). On many a roll-on I'm actually have to reel in a few bike lengths that GSXR's seem to pull right away. No freaking way does my bike lay down up top... Maybe the 08 isn't quite as slippery as the 06/07....?

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in