Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

08 ZX10 Quarter mile Gearing?

5K views 27 replies 5 participants last post by  brickman 
#1 ·
Here's the dilemma, Running a shinko -1 on the front and stock rear the thing has run 9.84@144 on the rev limiter in 4th ,so i changed to -1 front, -1 rear and it went 9.99@ 145 top of 4th no rev limiter ,are you guys shifting to 5th? Tks Oh thats stock wheelbase.

#2 · (Edited)
Good question, read a few threads down I hit last weekend with a 1st Gen(9.96s @146.5mph) and before that thought I was limited to 145mph before the limiter but actually got almost 147mph and never hit the limiter. Remember a 1st gen has Higher Gearing edit lower gearing... so I would think or presume you may need a 5th gear change because a 3rd Gen seems to have higher gearing stock a 1st gen with a 100mph 1st gear is a must....... but really think you need to go aggressive at this point to make sure you HAVE to change to 5th gear. :idea::dontknow:

#3 ·
sorry Tony...forgot to mention if you didn't know already I was at -1/+1 from the stock 1st Gen 10R gearing and Never go into 5th gear or I will loose time and maybe MPH because I am close to redline just before the 1/4.

bloo

#4 · (Edited)
I guess I'll try the 40 on the back again tomorrow, It's not helping my 60, but I didn't really give it enough time, I broke two clutch plates the other night, so didn't really have enough seat time with it, all my passes are usually with -1 and stock 41, I'd love to run my 43, but then she's to wheelie happy(maybe with longer chain) See the problem is, the air is starting to get better here and that means that with the stock 41 she's gonna hit the limiter sooner so I'm thinking this will not help. :dontknow:

#5 ·
why would you care about your 60? :dontknow:...the 1/4 mile time is what counts as you know and it doesn't hurt to have a great top speed to boot....we have even a video on this site with sucky 60 but the 10R doing over 150mph and very low 9s(with some race gas and full system I believe)..... but you can do it.:wink::thumbsup:

#12 ·
I can't really answer that question as I am a weekend warrior meaning I try so many things to control the Wheelie but I noticed it's not my 60Ft that counts to get me in the 9s but stuff I do before the 1/8.....In fact I got to 121mph stock from the show room floor last weekend with just a slip-on and no PCIII but not a very good 60ft. I believe and seen many with bad 60 foots but what you do after the 60ft on a stock wheel base can make all the difference from my experience so far as well. :wink:

#14 ·
that 60 has nothing to do with terminal speed.... my old zx9r 1999 got has high as 138mph with a bad 60ft. :wink:

#18 ·
Read the strip section I run fat weighing in at over 200lbs only geared, strapped and slip-on and NO PCIII. I have to be on my best performance racing against the bigger bikes and other guys but my old 5yr bike usually represents well even with my fat arse.:wink::lol: .....as far as my 9s it's my Mentor Ruthless Racing....Seat Time and then it happens. :thumbsup:

#26 ·
I'm assuming this gearing may work, I'm not hitting the limiter and ran a 10.012@145.62MPH with a 116.58 mid MPH, and a 1.789 60 ft, Only got 3 passes in, so I'm gonna take her up Tues night usually able to get 25 or 30 in, that will tell the tale. Just wanted to say though with the 41 on the back, she would go out every pass at 144 with a 115 mid, the only thing that put her in the 9s was if i ran a low 1.7 60/1.73 or 1.74 ,otherwise she was in the 10.0s with high 1.7s or low 1.8s. For our All Bike Weekend did 69 passes, 12 were 9.90s and 29 were 10.0s The rest were oops. Tks for any input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.