Welp, had my first crash at the track - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 06-07-2014, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Welp, had my first crash at the track

So today was an awesome day at the track with perfect weather, good people, and good vibes. As the morning turned into afternoon I started amping it up more. Things were feeling really good. I entered a right hand turn (probably too hot) and got on the gas as soon as possible and next thing I know I'm sliding across the track staring up at clouds. Big lowside. Surprisingly I walked away without a single scratch or bruise! The bike seems to be in solid shape too. I rode the last couple sessions and it felt ok - forks and triples might be misaligned, but thats it. Definitely lost a TON of confidence. Had to go beginner pace the rest of the day. This was my first crash on a motorcycle. Ever. Feel like I got as lucky as one can possibly get in this situation. Next time I need to be more responsible with my throttle. Sedici leathers don't hold up very well either. Wonder if the lifetime warranty applies? Bottom photo is of the damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	267226   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3-1.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	267234   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	267242  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 06-08-2014, 01:41 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Well all things considered it doesn't look to bad some rash on the bike but it could have been worse. Main thing is you were not hurt that's a huge plus. Your leather's seemed to have taken the biggest hit hopefully the company will make good on their warranty. Sucks to crash but it happens you have to adopt the short memory like the racer's forget about it and move on. Those guys get right up and go fast again. LOL
post #3 of 27 Old 06-08-2014, 03:16 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Yep, in my experience, these lowsides happen so fast that you've no time to react. One minute you're riding through the bend and in a split second you're sliding down the track watching your bike and hoping it comes to rest before it starts to somersault

Dont know what crash protection you're using, but I've found R&G to be excellent. The bungs seem to be placed in exactly the best position to minimise any damage and the bolts are designed to bend to avoid any energy transfer to the frame. I've twice had good reason to be thankful to R&G

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 06-08-2014, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechX View Post
Well all things considered it doesn't look to bad some rash on the bike but it could have been worse. Main thing is you were not hurt that's a huge plus. Your leather's seemed to have taken the biggest hit hopefully the company will make good on their warranty. Sucks to crash but it happens you have to adopt the short memory like the racer's forget about it and move on. Those guys get right up and go fast again. LOL
Agreed. Definitely glad I'm not hurt. That seems to be the most costly thing in this sport. I got back out there and had an instructor pace me a few laps to get some confidence back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renais View Post
Yep, in my experience, these lowsides happen so fast that you've no time to react. One minute you're riding through the bend and in a split second you're sliding down the track watching your bike and hoping it comes to rest before it starts to somersault

Dont know what crash protection you're using, but I've found R&G to be excellent. The bungs seem to be placed in exactly the best position to minimise any damage and the bolts are designed to bend to avoid any energy transfer to the frame. I've twice had good reason to be thankful to R&G
Yep...happened to fast I didn't even have a chance to correct. I think I came into the turn too hot, initiated a stupid low lean angle, cracked open the gas and then all was lost You know, I am not entirely sure what sliders are on the bike. They are short and stubby and kept the bike from flipping at a decent speed. Rash on my fairings, brake lever, and rearset are minimal.
post #5 of 27 Old 06-08-2014, 11:11 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

That was a great idea to have the instructor pace you.
post #6 of 27 Old 06-08-2014, 05:31 PM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Glad your okay. Looks like the bike faired okay too.

post #7 of 27 Old 06-09-2014, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Here is a picture from the second session of the day. I think I wrecked in the 3rd session in this very same turn. Looks like I could hang off more from the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	267457  
post #8 of 27 Old 06-10-2014, 10:40 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I don't know looks pretty good to me.
post #9 of 27 Old 06-10-2014, 10:46 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

you're a bit crossed up. definitely can push the bike up more. glad you're ok though, i'll take a lowside all day everyday over a highside
post #10 of 27 Old 06-10-2014, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I guess I need to over exaggerate and "push" the bike up more. It already feels like I'm hanging off a ton but obviously I need to experiment more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in