turning my gen 3 into a track bike. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-19-2013, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

turning my gen 3 into a track bike.

I have tried searching but I only have a phone right now so its rather annoying but besides the obvious like fairings, what are some things you all have done to prep your bike for track only use?

2008 zx10r- m4 exhaust, guhls ecu flash, pazzo levers, puig wind screen, Gregg's custom mirror block offs, core moto steel braided lines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-20-2013, 05:02 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
The fairings are the main thing but there are a couple more that may be a matter of personal choice. Rearsets and GP shift linkage can raise your feet and pegs up. Rear spools so you can use a rear stand (that one sounds obvious but some guys dont have em). Swingarm, bar end, frame and fork sliders. That can help minimize the damage if you go down. Make sure your front braking system is top notch. Your suspension should be working properly as well and if you havent had someone help you get it set up there are many times guys at the track that can help out for a small fee. Take advantage of that. It can make a huge difference in how the bike handles and that translates into better and safer laps. Get yourself a good tire pressure gauge and use it. Keep an eye on hot and cold pressures during the day and adjust as needed. That also can affect the handling big time. Have fun. Thats the biggest. Theres no place this side of heaven better than the track so enjoy it!

post #3 of 9 Old 09-20-2013, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Appreciate the info. I have most of that done. I flipped my linkage on the stock rear sets to gp. I thought about getting some cheap rearesets off eBay since they had decent review and wouldn't cost a shit ton o money. Do youuse steel braided lines on your bike

2008 zx10r- m4 exhaust, guhls ecu flash, pazzo levers, puig wind screen, Gregg's custom mirror block offs, core moto steel braided lines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-20-2013, 10:32 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

case savers (engine covers) are pretty much a must and i would get a catch can. yes steel braided lines will help. also might want to look into tank grippers. dont forget to safety wire!

"mechanical engineers build weapons, civil engineers build targets"
post #5 of 9 Old 09-20-2013, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I bought woodcraft covers and had an off the other day at 40 and it blew a a whole in the right cover...kind of sad about that lol

post #6 of 9 Old 09-20-2013, 06:00 PM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
jdub mentioned a good point. I found no matter how hard I tried I could not grip my tank. Tech Spec was a must for me.

post #7 of 9 Old 09-21-2013, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Awesome. I will have to look into that. I am ordering a new case cover and hopefully the fairings in the next week or so

post #8 of 9 Old 09-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Besides odds and ends, suspension will be your biggest investment but you can run the stock setup until you get really quick. Once you're throwing down solid lap times and are taxing your stock suspension, it'll be time to look into setting up your suspension right.

Need OEM parts? Discounts available on all Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, and Kawasaki factory parts. PM me.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-22-2013, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm sure I'm no where close to maxing out the stock suspension lol. These bikes are so incredible and my talent.....not so much lol but yea I understand what you mean.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in