Trackin the 10... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 05-10-2007, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Trackin the 10...

Well, did my second trackday over the weekend. Hit BeaveRun with NESBA last weekend. I did one last fall with my 636 but this was the first for the 10. Impressions? Loved every minute of it! The 10 behaved like a serial killer...lol I was MUCH faster than i was last year, but thats probably due to more experience and of course the dan kyle forks and penske shock.

Got to finally meet up with the infamous JDGun. Helluva guy, and HELLA nice RC51 too! We parked together in the paddock but he's a fast SOB and was running the "I" group while i was running "B" so i didnt get to see a whole lot of him.

The 10 turns every bit as fast as my 636 did and i couldnt even tell that i was on a liter bike, until i hit the straights, or maybe the braking markers...lol I was pretty gentle on the throttle exiting the turns so i didnt spin it up but i was still able to be pretty aggressive. Well as aggressive as i can for being a relative newbie to the track still running in the "B" group.

I upgraded the brakes over the winter which came in handy in the first session. I was braking at the end of the front straight for turn one and could hear a tire squealing behind me, felt something hit my foot and then saw a rider (no bike) passing me on my right, then his bike came by and spun itself so it was directly in front of me... Had a little oh-shit moment while i was on the binders trying to keep away from his bike. There was a control rider following us and she said she thought i was going to evil kneivel it, and she could see my heart beating through my leathers...lol She also praised me on avoiding the bike, my reply... it was luck...lol JDGun might have something to say about it too, he was standing at the fence watching the whole thing. Probably a pretty good show.

I ran pirelli corsa III's and at the pirelli techs recommendation (last year) i ran em at 32psi front and rear, aiming for 36psi hot. Which i never checked because they were performing perfectly. Looking back, I wish i would have stuck a gauge on them just to see where they were at but there werent any indications of over-heating, no greasiness at all. Not one time did i worry about traction, i know i could have spun the rear up with a slight twitch of the right but as long as i stayed smooth they did there job. If you havent tried them, give em a shot.

The suspension... I cant even begin to describe how it changed the bike. This was my first time with this bike to the track so i dont have any comparison but, anywhere i wanted to be on the track is where the bike went. Even when i squirmed around and threw some bad inputs into it the ohlins/penske combo shined and pushed the rubber down like it was glued. The back kink on the track developed some ripples over the winter and was (supposedly) pretty bumpy but it didnt phase me one bit.

It was a pretty busy day, all the groups were full. At least in the morning... There were a LOT of crashed and towards the end of the day the sessions were thinned out some and i finally got to work with some of the control riders. I talked to them in the morning sessions but it seemed like i was invisible out there, guess my bikes not bright enough...lol To be fair though, they had there hands full. Lots of bikes and a few guys that needed help more than i did. They pretty much said that if they didnt notice me then i was doing something right. The last session of the day though i hooked up with a few of the control riders and when we came in they told me that next time out i should be sportin the "I" sticker, or at least going home with it.

There were 3 of us with DSLRS but didnt get many action shots, and the trackday photographer only got 11 shots of me (told ya i need a brighter bike). Heres a few from the day though. Nobody got one of me with a knee down, which i was kinda hoping for so i could compare my lean angle to last year...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	34483   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	34484   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	34485   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	34486   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	34487  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-10-2007, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

i threw the last pic in since nobody got any knee-draggin shots...lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5 (Medium).jpg
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	34488   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	34490   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	34491   Click image for larger version

Name:	10 (Medium).jpg
Views:	75
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	34493  
Attached Images

post #3 of 3 Old 05-10-2007, 08:12 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to Grease
Sounds like you had a great time!

Bikes: '88 EX250 (sold), '86 Nighthawk S (sold), '03 ZX7R (R.I.P.s), '07 ZX10R (sold)

I don't like repeat offenders; I like dead offenders.
My idea of 'gun control' is putting as many bullets as I can into the same hole.

- Ted Nugent
Iím all for gun control, I just define it a little differently. If you can put 2 rounds into the same hole from 25 meters, thatís gun control!
- Jesse Ventura
God gave man a brain and a penis, but only enough blood to run one at a time. - Stephen E. Ambrose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in