Track Virgin no more - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By blitze

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-10-2017, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Track Virgin no more

Last Thursday, rode 2 hours to a track for a session. Did a 2 hour session (2 rides) and road 2 hours back home. Track is a tight one near Vetali in Finland, cost 30€ for the 2 hours.

Man was I shagged at the end of it all. There were a few bikes on the track when I arrived at 3pm including GSXR1K and RSV Aprillia which were dedicated track bikes. The GSX-R was running slicks and was blasting the place. Some Yamaha's and Honda's rocked up later as well and when I was rehydrating for the ride home it seemed someone binned it bringing out the red flag and slowing the traffic down .

It was fun to push the bike and the S21 Bridgestones held up well especially the rear which was beyond half worn. Front and rear were 32psi but I think I suffered some cold tearing on the rear. When trail braking, the rear on lean once seemed to step a little but that I think was as much me learning as anything else. I was running ABS, couldn't be bothered that time disabling it but I was weary of not pushing them to where they might cut in. ABS seemed to stay out of the way even when the rear was getting light as I started to tip into the turn. Standard lines at the moment but with aftermarket brake pads. I had added 2 clicks or preload and 1 turn of compression on the forks and ran the rear half a turn out from full compression, high/low on the rear shock.

The main straight was a 3rd gear topout, before coming back down to 2nd for a sweeper which lead to a tight RH turn. The last turn back towards the pits was a hook turn and tight which had me sweating. ))

Anyway much fun and nice top put myself, tires and bike through the wringer in a safe environment. Learning lines, ensuring smooth operation and transitions between braking and throttle twisting and so on. Given how much fun and the cost, I think I will aim for fortnightly track riding. Though I will look at another couple tracks as well for variety. Time to stock up on a new rear tire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170608_164929.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	400010   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170608_164937.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	400018   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170608_165002.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	400026   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170608_164952.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	400034  
Kllongbrake and Diescrap95 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-11-2017, 02:56 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Thumbs up

First time on track for sure is exhausting , it gets easier and better the more you learn. Deffo the best place to push yours and the bikes limits , good luck and stay safe

post #3 of 10 Old 06-11-2017, 06:56 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

You are now hooked. It is addicting. Sounds like you had fun. Although I would never ride my bike to a track day.

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-11-2017, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

It was fun. I found my legs were where I suffered the most fitness wise. Will do more mountain cycling to help. Upper body was fine but it also took a bit out of me mentally. Stock gearing is too tall as well especially with a 200/55 rear tire so I will look to change that -1 +2 combo.

Riding to the track, well gotta do what one has to do to get there and behave when I am there ))

See it as returning to my early biking days in the dirt. Lots to learn/practice and not so many things to kill you in the process. Much different to the street. I can see my Winter wish list building now - that is the scary part.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-11-2017, 01:36 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Thats awesome. Its such a fun place to really push the limits.

Do you do the whole day with that luggage rack attached? must have been funny going passed people with that on there

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
post #6 of 10 Old 06-12-2017, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Op- View Post
Do you do the whole day with that luggage rack attached? must have been funny going passed people with that on there
Yeah, that was the grab rail I brought along with me as I had the rear bag and corresponding rack when I rocked up. Given the time of day, it was only a few bikes and mine was the slowest of the group. The others were dedicated track bikes from the looks of things in the pits but when they passed and I saw their lines, observed and followed. ))

Left the large rack and bag in the pits with my other gear that I carried with me to the track, basic tools for adjustments etc.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-12-2017, 07:41 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Congrats Blitze, for that cost I would be going a whole lot. Just got done with my first track day myself, this past Sunday. Had my newly S21's on there as well at 32 psi. Held great for me as well, other then when I made mistakes. Sure is a blast and now I know why so many people refer to the track as crack! I wanna go back today!!!

The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-12-2017, 07:49 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Thats the way to do it!
Always run your 80% with first trackdays, not to crash.
Who can suggest rear pressure for S21, that 32psi is too high I think.

Is there MotoGP coming to Finland in 2018 and when will Kymi circuit be ready for us?

Gen4 race: high spec.
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 2013: stock.
Kawasaki KX450F 2016: love it.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-12-2017, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos76 View Post
Who can suggest rear pressure for S21, that 32psi is too high I think.

Is there MotoGP coming to Finland in 2018 and when will Kymi circuit be ready for us?
yeah, hence the pics, looked like it was cold tearing. Will try lower next time.

Hmm, Finns are relatively good at schedules so I would think Kymi will be ready on time. Bit of a hike for a ride to track day but maybe I stay over night )) Now to dispel woman's ideas of us spending a week in Dusseldorf. Priorities ))
post #10 of 10 Old 06-12-2017, 03:43 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitze View Post
Now to dispel woman's ideas of us spending a week in Dusseldorf.
Take a bike trip to Pärnu with your woman on back seat and don't tell her that there is a good racetrack.

Gen4 race: high spec.
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 2013: stock.
Kawasaki KX450F 2016: love it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
in the pits, rear tyre wear

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in