1Likes
  • 1 Post By Carlos76

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 06-16-2017, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

To Track or Not to Track

Hey all

I just moved to CO and did my first non-licensed race. I did well and placed third, but am still on the factory US spec tune and can see the difference when up against the new R1's and S1000RR's. I am at a very BIG decision point because I want to do amateur racing full time and convert the Z to a track bike. However, there is quite a bit of prep the bike needs ECU wise to even be fully ready for the Superstock class.

I was told that there wasn't a map already built that can be flashed to the ECU. I was then told that I need to do a Power Commander in conjunction with the dyno tune (which was almost $1k just to get the extra 20 or so HP back from the restrictions of the US spec flash). That does not include any full quickshift additions as well as race plastics, rearsets, etc.

My decision point is do I keep the Gen 4 and continue with the race build, or do I just sell as a street bike and use that money for either a Gen 5 or R1/S1000RR? While I know that this question may be biased here, I would like to make the most informed decision as possible.

Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-16-2017, 10:00 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Sell it and buy a prepped bike, it'll save you a ton of money.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-16-2017, 10:01 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I think if you like building then build it, its a sport on its own.

Building takes toooooo much free time away and with next bike I personally will not do it.
Good option (and maybe cheaper) would be selling it and buying a used race gen4 what has all the bits like proper suspention, kit ECU, full exhaust, bodywork etc.
R/T Performance likes this.

Gen4 race: high spec.
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 2013: stock.
Kawasaki KX450F 2016: love it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-16-2017, 12:44 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I 3rd the opinions stated above. I'm not a racer but I like to surf for sale ads for kicks and I'm mind blown by the value offered when I see a used track bike. They pretty much trade just over stock prices but they typically come with Ohlins shocks, rearsets, race bodywork etc. etc. Plus, saving all that work safety wiring alone would be worth it.

You'll save thousands!

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, geared (-1/+0), Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, Ohlins NIX30, Lightech adjusters. Bestem carbon. 50,000km+ and good so far.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-16-2017, 06:06 PM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dricked View Post
Sell it and buy a prepped bike, it'll save you a ton of money.
A-Men. I would troll the classifieds here and the WERA forum. Let someone else do the majority of the work and the spending then tweak it to suit your needs. You will be way ahead.

post #6 of 6 Old 06-17-2017, 02:44 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I agree you can get a prepped bike for the amount you can sell our street bike..

who ever is saying theres no flash tune and you need a power commander doesn't know there stuff... We have a guy that will flash and dyno tune right though the ecu and even enable the qs option it's about a 100 to add the switch.

2010 Zx10r Black spark Bazzaz zfi with QS,Puig Blue Double bubble,vortex rear sets,Blue Spools, fork sliders and oil fill cap,M4 street slayer,Penske triple clicker -1 +3 gearing 520 chain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in