Steering damper. The OEM Ohlins damper is a shiny piece of shit, at most. Even at the hardest setting, it is still way too soft to deal with some track riding. So the damper immediately went to the suspension shop to do some valving on it to make it work like it should.
As far as the front and rear suspension goes, when I got the bike it had all the original suspension parts. Even riding it on the street, I noticed that the front of the bike is stiff like hell, while the rear suspension is too soft to my weight. It was more or less acceptable for a long time, because I was not riding the bike as I should have been.
Still being a road bike, I found a used Ohlins TTX for an unbeatable price, so without much hesitation and after robbing the nearest ATM, I went home with the TTX.
Swapped the OEM shock with the TTX (I clearly remember that even I had to remove the exhaust can and that big box next to it to be able to pull out the rear bolt holding the shock, because some japanese engineers were unable to put it in from the opposite side
), and without measuring anything, it was much better already.
There is a nice Dave Moss video where he is trying to adjust the suspension of this bike for different people:
Before the engine was removed from the bike after the crash, with a friend of mine - who has a nice digital slack meter (https://motool.co/products/slacker-digital-sag-scale-v2
) - we did some measurements on the suspension, that should have been done much sooner. While I always felt the front suspension too stiff, by adjusting the preload there, the static and rider sag values were within the acceptable range, so far, so good. Doing the same measurements on the rear of the bike gave us more interesting values. The TTX I purchased earlier already had a 95 spring in it (according to the docs, the original one is 90), and by turning the hydraulic preload adjuster all the way in, rider sag was still too much. Okay, I was not that surprised at all...
After having all of these information, both the front and rear suspension came out of the bike and went to the same shop for some work. The first step to make the bike more track capable was the following:
- keep the front suspension as-is with a slightly lower oil level to potentially compensate the stiffness,
- change the spring of the TTX to a 105, and measure again once everything is back together.
Of course while every suspension part is out of the bike, the usual maintenance is also performed on all of them, like changing oil, seals, etc.
I will see how it performs at the first few track days, and further changes may come based on the results.
Yeah, and a picture to close the post... I had to remove somehow the rear shock, and had no better tool at home.