Swedish Superbike Champs, race 2 and 3 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-30-2007, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to Macke
Swedish Superbike Champs, race 2 and 3

Hey guys!
Been doing some racing again. This weekend was the second race of the Swedish Superbike Champs. A double race weekend, with two separate races. A lot of tracktime, with free practise on friday, 2 QP's and race one on saturday, 2 new QP's and race two on sunday.

Just got the forks back from the suspension experts before this weekend, so our main focus was on that during the first couple of sessions.
The new forks worked a lot better, specially under breaking! Thans to "Berna Racing"

Felt a bit tired and off during friday, but made a new personal best of 1.03.361 during the second session on friday

A new section of the track had been added since last year. A right/left/right combo just after the crest on the long straight. A really cool entry to the first right, totally blind, and hard on the brakes over the crest, slightly leaned over to the right. Then you have to throw the bike down hard to the right, and commit to the corner before you see the entry. Really cool, but thank god there's an escape rout straight forward when you miss the braking point..

We spent friday night in the pits, BBQ with some racebuddies. Sweet!

If you can't race fast, atleast you can look fast...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-30-2007, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Saturday

QP1
During friday night we made some changes to the bike. Mostly with the ride height. And it seemed to be working good.
Felt a lot better, and was able to push pretty hard. The bike turned in much better, and I could open the throttle earlier when exiting the corners.
New personal best again with 1.00.783, and I was in 20th pos.

QP2
Tried a different front tire for QP2, the softest compound that Bridgestone offers, to try to squeese some more front end grip in.
The softer tire didn't work any better, and I felt a bit off in my riding aswell. Didn't have any attack at all in my riding, and failed to improve the time set in QP1. Descided to enter the pits early, and try to save some strength for the race later the same day. Dropped to 21st.

The afternoon was busy with a lot of guests and sponsors in tent. Managed to stuff down some food and a lot to drink before it was time to prepare for the race.

Race
After finnishing 25th in the first race of the season (my first ever Superbike race), I was really hoping for my first top-20 finnish. If I made a good start, it was definatley a possibility.
The lights went out, and I made a terrible start. Lost a couple of riders instantly, but got some back into the first corner. Then there was a messy first lap. Overtaking, being overtaken, contact with other bikes... Was in 22nd after the first lap, with contact.
Made i little mistake on lap 6 and lost a little gap to the guys infront of me. Then there was a pretty lonely ride after that. Had about 1,5s gap to the guys infront, and 4s to the ones behind.
Gained 0.4s, lost 0.3s, gained 0.1s, lost 0.6s.... And so on...
When there were 4 laps to go, I descided to settle for 22nd, and not make any stupid mistakes...

Finnished 22nd.
Better than the first race of the season, and shaved some more time of the personal best (1.00.680) but a bit disapointed....
Maaan, do these superbike guys fly or what... Damn!!!

The day was rounded off once again with some BBQ and haning with the racebuddies and the team. Very nice!

Last edited by Macke; 05-30-2007 at 05:14 AM.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-30-2007, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Sunday

Woke up in the bus a bit early, and tried to go back to sleep, but couldn't...
Had some breakfast while the team changed rubbers on the bike...

QP1
I felt a bit better than where I left off yesterday. A bit more charged....
Descided not to focus so much on the laptimes this QP. Instead we waited for the riders that I batteled it out with yesterday to go out on the track, and then I got out behind them and tried to get a good read on their pace.
I worked good. Folllowed one rider for 8 laps, felt that I was quicker on most parts of the track, and was able to outbreak him several times, but stayed behind him (not wanting to give him the same opportunity to read me). Entered the pits to get some fluids and rest, and then the guy that finnished 2 places infront of me went out. Started the bike and went out just behind him. Did the same this time, stayed behind and focused on his lines, brakingpoints, and speed. Felt really good, and I was sure I could take him in the race later....
Ended up in 19th after QP1, but with a slower laptime than yesterday...

QP2
This time I was going to set a good time. Managed to get out just behind a buddy of mine, who was about 1 sec faster than me. Perfect!
But perfect ended about there...
After just two laps, when we started to build up the pace, I was passed by another rider who wedged between us. Damnit... Then one more... Then he was gone... Crap!!!
Tried my best to pic up the pace, but it felt really stiff and I couldn't get into "the zone"....
Went in to rest, and the crew was not as down as me. Apparently managed to keep an even rythm in the high 1.00.xx and low 1.01.xx. So it was ok...
Went out again, and set a 1.00.755. Personal best again...
But still, dropped to 21st....

The bike felt good, so we didn't have to do much between QP2 and the race. The crew just had to put on some new tyres, wash the bike off and shine it up while I entertained some sponsors and some friends from back home that came to the track and cheered me on.

Race
Got off to a better start than the race on saturday. But I was waaaay to nice in the first couple of corners adn lost a few places. Then I was in pretty much the same group as in the race on saturday. But this time it felt a lot better. Was really pushing, and I felt stronger than them. Was up on the inside a couple of times, but had the door slammed in my face. Tried again after the long straight into the blind corner, was up alongside, but let off when I git really tight... Pheeew... Had two more shots to pass him, then tried a bit too hard and totally missed my brakinpoint in the same place. Managed to stay on the track, but lost about 3s.
So, here we go again.. Same as yesterdays race... Back in no-mans-land..

Mid race, the forearms was really giving me a hard time. Three days of hard racing had worn me out. The forearm pump was getting worse, and I was starting to think about setteling for 21st pos.
But then I started to notice how I gained to the guys infront of me, and realised that they had to be just a tired as me... This gave me some new found strength to continue to push... And on the last lap, I was on the back wheel of the guy in 20th pos, and another one just infront of him...
Sweet...

I tried to squeese every last drop of power from my body, and focus it on the last braking point, on the last lap...
I got a decent exit on the long straight, and managed to get a bit more speed than him. Dodged out of the slipstream, and waited as long as I dared berore pulling the ISR master as hard as my exhausted forearms could manage. Was up alongside, but he slammed the door in my face once again, and that was all I had.... Cruised the 2 remaining corners, and crossed the line in 21st... Crap!!!

After the race I was pretty disapointed. But still... Improved my personal best once again to 1.00.532, and I wasn't in last place so... I'm still improving, and soon I'm gonna be in the topp-20 somewhere...
And my first three Superbike races has ended in 25th, 22nd, and 21st.. Not too schabby afterall....

Next race is the first race of the Scandinavian Open Superbike Championships in Finland...
That's gonna be a bit harder than this....

Pics will follow!!!

Cheers

Macke

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-30-2007, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Attached Images

post #5 of 14 Old 05-30-2007, 06:00 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Well done mate,

Good luck on your next race

post #6 of 14 Old 05-30-2007, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Apparently Saddam and Usama came by the tent and tried to steal my bike and helmet...

..or was it some of my motoX buddies from back home?
Attached Images

post #7 of 14 Old 05-30-2007, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

BBQ on saturday night....
Attached Images

post #8 of 14 Old 05-30-2007, 06:11 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to colinmitchell111
Great job and I love reading your threads. Keep it up!

05 Red 10R - Full Arrow system w/ carbon shorty can, Factory Pro velocity stacks, BMC race filter, Ivan's TRE, DJ PC3, DJ Quick Shifter, Scotts damper, Galfer SS Brake likes front and rear, Smoke DB windscreen, smoked front signals, gold Sato rearsets, solo seat cover, HID headlights, custom projector headlight, Hotbodies undertail, CRG Roll-A-Click gold levers. 190/55 Conti Sport Attacks.

www.myspace.com/zx10rcolin
post #9 of 14 Old 05-30-2007, 07:55 AM
Yankee Racer

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to zx10ragentblack
Great job Macke and congrats again on some solid finishes. You'll get your top 20 finish soon enough and me thinks keep moving up the field even farther. Love your reports and keep them coming.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-30-2007, 08:10 AM
.net Most Followed Member

Posting Frequency

Garage
thanks Macke, great report u made there and thanks for sharing those pics too

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in