street tires with warmers? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 04-29-2014, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

street tires with warmers?

Just wondering if I can run warmers on q3 dunlops at my opening track day. I always run slicks, but have these new q3's in the garage, and was gonna try them instead, and I just like the fact that with slicks and warmers I can giver right out of the gate. My first track day years ago I ran q2's with no warmers, and just hate having to warm them up the first lap. Can I run the new ones on warmers to avoid this, or is this a no no with street tires.......thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-29-2014, 07:51 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
I've heard both the Q2s/Q3s do not like warmers. The tires get greasy for some reason. Skip them. They warm up fast enough just running them for 1 lap.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 19 Old 04-29-2014, 08:37 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
I've heard both the Q2s/Q3s do not like warmers. The tires get greasy for some reason. Skip them. They warm up fast enough just running them for 1 lap.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I have not had that problem I run the Q2 and 3s with warmers and have not had any issues. I find that you can go faster out of the gate because I to hate to have to wait a lap or two for them to get up to temp. I'm in Arizona where track temps get very high. Dunlop says 30F 28R hot off the warmers.

Last edited by TechX; 04-30-2014 at 01:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 04-30-2014, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

thanks for the reply, im gonna try them out on warmers.
post #5 of 19 Old 05-01-2014, 02:06 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Warmers are not necessary because the tires heat up much more quickly when ridden than track rubber. If you use warmers it won't hurt them, but probably won't do anything helpful.
post #6 of 19 Old 05-01-2014, 02:12 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I put my warmers on for 45 minutes prior to heading to Starbucks, my tires are as warm as my caramel macchiato and stick like glue all the way there.
post #7 of 19 Old 05-03-2014, 02:16 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLSTD View Post
Warmers are not necessary because the tires heat up much more quickly when ridden than track rubber. If you use warmers it won't hurt them, but probably won't do anything helpful.
I would have to disagree sure their not as necessary for street tires as for race rubber. You still have to take it easy for the first lap or so and the OP stated he didn't really like to do that. So you can go at a quicker pace with tires that have been warmed up and are closer to operating temps. I don't know if you do track days but almost every track day I attend several riders crash on cold tires even though at the riders meeting they stress take it easy for the first lap or so there's always somebody who doesn't get it and goes down. So now your out on track less than a couple of minutes and your session gets red flagged so they can clean up the mess cutting into track time. Hell everyone should use warmers.
post #8 of 19 Old 05-03-2014, 02:18 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
I put my warmers on for 45 minutes prior to heading to Starbucks, my tires are as warm as my caramel macchiato and stick like glue all the way there.
Your not doing it right. I take my front warmer with me plug it in to my accessory port and wrap it around my Starbucks so it won't get cold on my ride to work.
post #9 of 19 Old 05-05-2014, 06:33 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechX View Post
I would have to disagree sure their not as necessary for street tires as for race rubber. You still have to take it easy for the first lap or so and the OP stated he didn't really like to do that. So you can go at a quicker pace with tires that have been warmed up and are closer to operating temps. I don't know if you do track days but almost every track day I attend several riders crash on cold tires even though at the riders meeting they stress take it easy for the first lap or so there's always somebody who doesn't get it and goes down. So now your out on track less than a couple of minutes and your session gets red flagged so they can clean up the mess cutting into track time. Hell everyone should use warmers.
You still can't go balls to the wall on your first lap with warmers on race tires. I guess this depends on your pace as well but that's why they give you a warmup lap. Get the tires flexing, and get the brakes heated up. One slow lap isn't going to kill you especially at a track day. Running warmers on street tires will get them greasy faster so your first lap is quicker but by the end of the session your sliding all over the place and now that your warmed up and getting in the zone your tires are falling off.

Last edited by dricked; 05-05-2014 at 06:36 AM.
post #10 of 19 Old 05-05-2014, 11:49 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by dricked View Post
You still can't go balls to the wall on your first lap with warmers on race tires. I guess this depends on your pace as well but that's why they give you a warmup lap. Get the tires flexing, and get the brakes heated up. One slow lap isn't going to kill you especially at a track day. Running warmers on street tires will get them greasy faster so your first lap is quicker but by the end of the session your sliding all over the place and now that your warmed up and getting in the zone your tires are falling off.
i agree you cant go full tilt boogie but you can go harder right out of the box. I havent had the Q3s get greasy on me im guessing I dont push them as hard as you do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in