Sort Your Style... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-17-2007, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Sort Your Style...

Not sure if anybody read the mag this came from, if you did post it up because I forgot what mag. I shouldnt even post this because if you apply it, you will own...
section one- sort your style
The Three Main Tips

#1 sort your style
1-move your upper body as far as you can sideways towards the inside corne, then bring it down so your chin is ideally 8 inches above the inside bar end. your outside arm rest on the tank.
(resting your arm on the tank was reinforced trough out the article, because it keeps your outside arm from steering against the inside arm)
this helps shift weight from high and out to low and in increasing ground clearance and forcing you to keep both of your arms bent-essential for a powerful turn in and subtle throttle control.

2-shift your butt across the saddle until your outside leg shoves against the tank. this should leave no more than a half butt cheek hanging off the saddle.

3-twist your hips hard toward the center of the turn.this helps your upper body and head twist to the inside and, more importantly, forces your outside hip and leg against the tank, clamping you in position. get this solid base nailed and your upper body and arms can relax, letting the bike do its job of tracking around the corner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-17-2007, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Point 2- find the line
1-turn later. my experience was the faster the rider the later they turned in. this allows them to get on the throttle earlier and harder without ever running wide on the exit.

2-turn really really hard(you will often need to if your turning point is right). on warm tires and decent surface it is impossible to lose the front by turning aggressively. really. two racers even claimed you couldnt lose it on turn in even in the wet. Faster riders turn harder!

3- once you have set an angle of lean. relax. your only input as you breeze past the apex should be through the throttle. if you are still hard on the brakes you are either mental or to good to be reading this.

4-to get the optimum 40-60 rear-front weight distribution midcorner, you need to be on the throttle. not the taking up the slack in the cable fashion, but properly on it- gently accelerating to shift weight to the rear tire. the rewards are more stability and much faster exits.

5-Experiment with your lines. most of us only ever change them when someone fast comes past and realize theres another way. force yourself to go slower and try new lines.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-17-2007, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Point 3- use vision properly
1-as you approach the corner, pick a turn in point and concentrate on it. sounds obvious, but hardly anyone does it to start with-we just turn when it feels right. the problem with this is that it is to difficult to alter what you do instinctively. if however, you turn at the small skidmark, hit the apex nicely but cant get on the power early, you know yo need to turn in later next time. so you turn at the blob of paint a bit further on.

2-as you close in on the turn in marker, twist your body to look at the apex, holding the turn inpoint in your peripheral vision. i was sceptical about this too, but this california superbike school technique was a revalation. my turn in stayed accurate, but my apex hitting improved dramatically because i was focused on it early.

3-dont look for the exit of the corner until you are confident you are going to hit the apex. this defies road riding technique. where it is much more important to find and concentrate on the exit.(to avoid being in the front grill of a bus, for example). however on the track you know where the exit is , so you can afford to get the apex nailed before thinking exits.

4-force yourself to be aware of whats around you- the marshall post, pit buildings etc. dont actually look at them, but force your brain to notice them. for me, this had to effects. everything seemed slower because i was no longer riding round in a tunnel, so i could speed up without scaring myself witless. and it made it immediately obvious when i got tunnel vision, giving me a chance to snap out of it or slow down.
so there you are. i thought it was a great read. i sug. you go and pick the magazine up so you can see the pics and what not. it goes into alot greater detail than that as well. i dont have the time to type out a whole article for you guys but that was the general overview.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-17-2007, 07:44 AM

Posting Frequency

I guess I am hanging off wrong.
I have my hips rotated the wrong way, I am swiveled around the tank , my inside leg is firm up against the frame... impossible for me to stick my knee out that way....I guess that is why I have never touched down.

The upper body part sounds like exactly what I am doing though.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-17-2007, 08:03 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to 05ZixxR
good read, thanks for sharing

full ahead hard and fast....
post #6 of 6 Old 04-24-2007, 06:22 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Another tip, if you are not;
Accelerating or turning or braking, you are coasting and that costs seconds.

Seems obvious I know, but if you are doing track days, this is a very important "obvious". You need to be doing one of the three at all times.

It's a free country brother.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in