Sad News - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 05-08-2015, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Sad News

Miller Motorsports Park one of the best tracks will be closing as of Oct 31st. I know that I am going to miss riding there one of the most fun tracks i have ever ridden. RIP. Miller you will be missed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-08-2015, 08:14 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
WTF? Why is that? A damn Shane if you ask me. Heard it was a beautiful facility

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 13 Old 05-08-2015, 08:28 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Miller Motorsports Park to cease operations | Deseret News

What a drag. We've lost so many tracks here in AZ that, when they announced Firebird was closing, I was alarmed. Fortunately, it just changed names and got a new management team and is going better than ever as Wild Horse Pass. Here's hoping something like that will happen there.
Kawtippin' likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-08-2015, 09:12 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Its a shame but losing that kind of money every year one can hardly blame them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Op- View Post
Unless Scout says dont do it. Then, really, just do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
I know its blistering fast but you cant outrun ugly.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-08-2015, 10:02 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I am not at all surprised by this. It's unfortunate but the country just cannot sustain that many racetracks. And the location was just not very exotic or appealing. When I heard Yamaha Champion Riders School was closing up I suspected the track itself was not doing well.

There are a lot of big ideas and ways to get big money for investments but to sustain something, and provide a high-value service, is a different story. When tracks are not being used for some kind of high-profile event, they sit empty. Willow Springs Motorsports Complex, with its many different racetracks, remains the best bang for the buck nationwide if you are reasonably close. It might not be sexy but it gets the job done and is pretty close to civilization these days. That's one track I cannot imagine ever going out of business.
MrMoto73 likes this.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-08-2015, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Litre View Post
Miller Motorsports Park to cease operations | Deseret News

What a drag. We've lost so many tracks here in AZ that, when they announced Firebird was closing, I was alarmed. Fortunately, it just changed names and got a new management team and is going better than ever as Wild Horse Pass. Here's hoping something like that will happen there.

Sadly though the new Wildhorse pass managment has let the east track deteriorate to the point that its unusable. IMHO much better than the west track and im sure the main track will never be used again 😐. There was talk of adding on to the east track and making it a longer road course. I drive by there most every day and theres nothing going on. Im thinking thats not going to happen. Luckily we have AMP. Sound restriction and all its a nice track.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-09-2015, 02:43 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
WTF? Why is that? A damn Shane if you ask me. Heard it was a beautiful facility
You're slipping, SkyDork. Are you sniffing the race gas again?
SkyDork and BrandonZX10R like this.

Have a wheelie nice day!

Winter sucks.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-09-2015, 08:38 AM
Judge Dredd Mod

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
You're slipping, SkyDork. Are you sniffing the race gas again?
Noticed that too. Too many margaritas before moderation methinks.

Sad to see Miller go, but understandable given the circumstances. Hopefully someone picks it up and can make it profitable.
SkyDork likes this.

BURNOUT.....
Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-09-2015, 09:40 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_honez View Post
Noticed that too. Too many margaritas before moderation methinks.

Sad to see Miller go, but understandable given the circumstances. Hopefully someone picks it up and can make it profitable.
It's likely going to be bulldozed and built over.

The nice thing about racetracks is they are easy to build. The great thing about tracks like Laguna Seca and Willow Springs is that these tracks take advantage of natural topography to create challenging and interesting configurations. The trend in the last ten or so years is to find a chunk of cheap, flat desert and throw down some pavement with little to no infrastructure. Then the weather is so heinous, and the drive so long to get there, that eventually the place loses money and has to fold up.

I had been wondering about this proliferation of racetracks sprouting up all over in the last decade or so, and now the answer seems plain. There are just too many of them.

If you take for example WSIR, 2.5-mile Main Road Course or Streets at Willow, those tracks are empty most days of the year. But for people in the general trip-county areas WSIR is a much better choice than, say, Chuckwalla or Spring Hill. Far more infrastructure, a shorter drive, and a more challenging track either way. Mastering the 2.5-mile course is the work of a lifetime for most riders and the Streets is ideal for street riders and track days.

I ain't trying to push Willow Springs over any other track, as they are all fun to ride, but it's got what a racetrack complex needs to survive: interesting tracks and the infrastructure and location to keep riders coming back. Those other tracks way out in the desert are going to have a tougher time of it.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-09-2015, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Fang View Post
It's likely going to be bulldozed and built over.

The nice thing about racetracks is they are easy to build. The great thing about tracks like Laguna Seca and Willow Springs is that these tracks take advantage of natural topography to create challenging and interesting configurations. The trend in the last ten or so years is to find a chunk of cheap, flat desert and throw down some pavement with little to no infrastructure. Then the weather is so heinous, and the drive so long to get there, that eventually the place loses money and has to fold up.

I had been wondering about this proliferation of racetracks sprouting up all over in the last decade or so, and now the answer seems plain. There are just too many of them.

If you take for example WSIR, 2.5-mile Main Road Course or Streets at Willow, those tracks are empty most days of the year. But for people in the general trip-county areas WSIR is a much better choice than, say, Chuckwalla or Spring Hill. Far more infrastructure, a shorter drive, and a more challenging track either way. Mastering the 2.5-mile course is the work of a lifetime for most riders and the Streets is ideal for street riders and track days.

I ain't trying to push Willow Springs over any other track, as they are all fun to ride, but it's got what a racetrack complex needs to survive: interesting tracks and the infrastructure and location to keep riders coming back. Those other tracks way out in the desert are going to have a tougher time of it.
The only track you mentioned thats even close to the same quality as Miller is Laguna the rest are no comparison. The drive time for me is the same for Willow and Miller plus its not a hundred degrees at Miller in the summer. I believe another investment group will pick it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vujst2Sm5J0

Last edited by TechX; 05-09-2015 at 11:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in