• 2 Post By R/T Performance
  • 1 Post By R/T Performance
  • 1 Post By or10r

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-21-2015, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Race suits and gloves, leather care and maintenance

How do you guys take care of your race leather items, as they get saturated with sweat and such, then start to dry out and get hard/stiff?

I've tried leather lotion, but it doesn't seem to really do the trick for long-term recovery to get the leather soft again.
Have heard comments about running them through cold water, but don't remember if I've really tried that before.

www.youtube.com/user/n7hevn

Current bikes: 2008 Honda GoldWing, 2013 Kawasaki ZX-10R (track only).
Over 112,000 miles on two wheels since Feb 2003.
CMRA #628
2012 Novice season: Formula 40, Champion // Formula 1, Second Place // Superbike A, Third Place // Modern Classic, Third Place
2013 Expert season: Rookie Expert, Third Place // Modern Classic, Third Place
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-21-2015, 11:31 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

This is from the Apex Leather repair man
"We clean leathers with a top cleaner then condition liberally with leather conditioner. This removes much of the salt and nearly all of the soiling that fills the pores of the leather. Salt does damage leather by burning it chemically leaving it dry and brittle. When leather gets dry it is much more likely to crack and tear.
Keep your leathers thoroughly conditioned. It keeps your leather pliable, resistant to soil penetration and resists uptake of sweat. Proper maintenance will keep your leathers in great shape for a lifetime. Well, if you don't fall over that's the case!
I do not suggest putting any leather in a washing machine.
Once a year (max. considering lots of usage with obscene amounts of sweat), 3 years in most cases, you can submerge your suit in the bathtub with a mix of warm (not hot) water and about a gallon of white vinegar. You should agitate several times over the period of an hour then drain and rinse. Refill the tub with water and agitate a couple of times over the next 15 minutes then drain and rinse 1 more time. Let dry on an absorbent surface or one that will allow air to the bottom. Do not hang and do not let the suit sit for too long as it will stretch and mold. You must move it around from time to time and a fan on it always speeds the process. Laying in the sun is acceptable too.
You should condition with a quality leather conditioner. Lanolin is great but really hard to find so a conditioner with beeswax is perfectly acceptable. Apply liberally while the suit is still moist and pliable (not dripping wet), this allows the conditioner to be absorbed as the last of the water evaporates. When the suit seems to be completely dry of water condition one more time. Now hang it in the sun or in a warm place to be sure all water moisture is out. You don't want mold to creep in and ruin your day.
Never use products like Armor All or anything with alcohol in it.
Here's to your leathers living a long and rash free life!
Cheers!

I washed mine in a tote with anti bacterial hand soap per the instructions from Held. It's hard work but well worth the effort
stage5 and turtle1000 like this.

2010 Zx10r Black spark Bazzaz zfi with QS,Puig Blue Double bubble,vortex rear sets,Blue Spools, fork sliders and oil fill cap,M4 street slayer,Penske triple clicker -1 +3 gearing 520 chain
post #3 of 7 Old 07-22-2015, 03:51 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Personally I hang all my stuff up inside with a fan blowing on it after a track day. After about 24 hours of that I take the liner out of my suit and hand wash it. Then wipe the inside once with a mild soap and water solution then wipe it again with water. All just using a wash cloth. The outside I usually only clean every couple of months. It gets the same wipe down procedure as the inside and then I give it two generous coats of Lexol conditioner.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-22-2015, 08:42 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
Personally I hang all my stuff up inside with a fan blowing on it after a track day. After about 24 hours of that I take the liner out of my suit and hand wash it. Then wipe the inside once with a mild soap and water solution then wipe it again with water. All just using a wash cloth. The outside I usually only clean every couple of months. It gets the same wipe down procedure as the inside and then I give it two generous coats of Lexol conditioner.
I love the gp tech but the liner sucks..never with undersuit and docks on it gets all bunched up.. Pita I'm nervous if I remove it it'll never go in right again with the freaking Velcro and what not.. oh well at least I know how to clean it now lol I need that lexol stuff

More cowbell
post #5 of 7 Old 07-23-2015, 12:41 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1000 View Post
I love the gp tech but the liner sucks..never with undersuit and docks on it gets all bunched up.. Pita I'm nervous if I remove it it'll never go in right again with the freaking Velcro and what not.. oh well at least I know how to clean it now lol I need that lexol stuff
Tractor supply sells it.
Look in the horse care section at TSC they have tubs of lanolin and lexol cleaner and conditioner
turtle1000 likes this.

2010 Zx10r Black spark Bazzaz zfi with QS,Puig Blue Double bubble,vortex rear sets,Blue Spools, fork sliders and oil fill cap,M4 street slayer,Penske triple clicker -1 +3 gearing 520 chain
post #6 of 7 Old 07-23-2015, 04:05 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by R/T Performance View Post
Tractor supply sells it.
Look in the horse care section at TSC they have tubs of lanolin and lexol cleaner and conditioner
Yes sir. I think pretty much any automotive store would have it as well. Its inexpensive, easy to use and works pretty darn well at keeping cow hide soft and supple.
turtle1000 likes this.

post #7 of 7 Old 07-23-2015, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the input guys

www.youtube.com/user/n7hevn

Current bikes: 2008 Honda GoldWing, 2013 Kawasaki ZX-10R (track only).
Over 112,000 miles on two wheels since Feb 2003.
CMRA #628
2012 Novice season: Formula 40, Champion // Formula 1, Second Place // Superbike A, Third Place // Modern Classic, Third Place
2013 Expert season: Rookie Expert, Third Place // Modern Classic, Third Place
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in