Gen 4: 2011-2015 Race Season Updates - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 11-19-2014, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Race Season Updates

Hey everyone,

I have posted race reports in here before, but I am making one thread now, I will just update it every race weekend. I have an athlete Facebook page I update as well. I shoot GoPro during my races and I have a YouTube channel too.

Of course where would I be without
Instagram: JMR_127
and
Twitter: @JMR_127

Please check it all out and give me a follow and a like if you are into it.

Right now, I am in the middle of the season at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway. The races are put on by CVMA They run a winter series, because the track is in the desert in California.

The first round was in September. I ran in the Amateur Formula Open (full mod class, only restricted by OEM engine size) and Amateur SuperSport Open (minor mods, some suspension, electronics, exhaust, thats about it). Chuckwalla is run in both directions, and they switch every round.

Round 1 CCW:
I had a decent round, I ended with a 5th and 3rd in Am Formula Open and a 6th and 4th in Am SS Open.

Round 2 CW:
This round was harder for me, I didnt feel good on the bike and I was thinking too hard about things like body position, shifting points and other stuff. I ended with a 5th and 3rd in Am Formula Open and a 6th and 7th in Am SS Open. I set my best lap in the last race where I finished 7th, at a 1:57.095.

I left this round frustrated, not happy with my results or my riding.

Here is the video I shot. Round 2

Round 3 CCW:

After the disappointing weekend I had at Round 2, I wanted to make some changes to the bike and me for Round 3.

Bike: New chain, new gearing. I went up 1 tooth in the back to extend the time I spent in each gear. Tuning, I put my DynoJet Autotune back in and ran it at the track day on Friday before the race weekend. Throttle, I installed a MotionPro Revolver, thanks to Mike at Riders Discount for the hook up. All these things were great, bike felt like it was pulling harder and throttle was easier to use. I will put up some more info about all that in my bike build thread. Also, I ran Vortex brand new tire warmers and they were great. I am very happy they got them for me, just a few days before the track.

Riding: I focused on my shifting a lot. From watching my previous videos, I wasnt using the full RPM range up to red line. I worked on that, and I think the gearing helped.

Racing: I had a great race day. I wasn't planning on racing, but thanks to John of H&W Racing talking me into it, I raced Amateur SuperSport Open and Amateur Formula Open on Saturday. The YouTube video below is of the Amateur SS race. Three guys crashed on the first lap so it was red flagged and restarted. As I rolled up to the grid for the restart my bike dies and I don't notice. I dont see it until the flag drops for experts. I get it started, but don't shift to first, believe me, a good race start is hard from neutral. I spend the whole race catching up, but I moved from 8th (last) to 3rd. The Formula race was much less entertaining. I started in 3rd, stayed in 3rd the whole race. I am pretty happy with two 3rd places as the first and second place guys are crazy fast. I also dropped my personal best lap time down to a 1:56.05 and was doing 1:56s all race. Much thanks to John Warkentin of H&W Racing for the Bridgestone tires for motivating me and helping me with tools. Big thanks to Vortex, without the brand new tire warmers I would not have been able to race. Thanks to HotBodies and Sockguy, HyperKewl and Corransup.com and Ground Up Racing. Awesome weekend all around.

Youtube: Round 3

TurboR1: "General rule for making parts for Italian bikes is using the same amount of material (or less) as that for Japanese bikes then charging 2-3 times as much for it... It works on the same principle as women's haircuts/clothing/shoes."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-01-2014, 11:30 PM
back to car scene

Posting Frequency

Nice work man, seems as though you bike has some killer top end lol

And I dig the end result of the bike too

post #3 of 23 Old 12-02-2014, 08:15 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Awesome stuff. I'm going to be doing CVMA in January and February until MWGP starts back up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 12-02-2014, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

LS1, thanks! Yea, the bike is strong for sure. I just need to use it better, 1st is calling my name!

Viking, I will be there. I am under a black Oakley Easy Up and I am always right next to the Bridgestone trailer. Come say hi.

TurboR1: "General rule for making parts for Italian bikes is using the same amount of material (or less) as that for Japanese bikes then charging 2-3 times as much for it... It works on the same principle as women's haircuts/clothing/shoes."
post #5 of 23 Old 12-02-2014, 03:12 PM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Great stuff man! Congrats and keep rockin it!

post #6 of 23 Old 01-20-2015, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

This was a humbling race weekend for me. I went out to Chuckwalla Valley Raceway on Friday and road the track day after I had made some changes to the bike. Everything was great, ran a lot of good laps and I was looking forward to the races.

On Saturday I went out for qualifying and a guy high sided right in front of me. His bike dumped some liquid on the track and I had a nice slide through it. The track was wet in that area for the rest of our qualifying session. I qualified in 7th, 1.5 seconds slower than my best practice times.

In my first race Amateur Formula Open, I had a decent start but I was not aggressive. I stayed in 7th for a while but got stuck behind a guy and I got passed. Then I got passed again while I tried to work around him. I eventually got around him, but I could not catch up to anyone else. I finished in 8th.

Next was race #10, Amateur SuperSport Open. In race #9 Joanna Bitter was involved in a bad crash and she ended up getting life-flighted out. Fortunately she is ok and it was just a bad concussion. Due to the long delay, all remaining races were cut to just 4 laps. I decided that wasn't work it and I skipped out.

Due to my poor performance in the first race and a need for tires, I had already decided to call off my races for Sunday. This round was clockwise and I have always had trouble with it. This weekend was no different. I am bad with my throttle application out of right handers, many people have pointed it out to me. At least I know what I have to work on going forwards.

A big thanks to Ashley Hyde for being my pit girl, and thanks a lot to all my sponsors; Vortex Racing and their awesome new tire warmers, HotBodies Racing, Shorai Power batteries, H&W Raceworks and Sockguy.

Lastly, a solemn farewell to Walter Nitto Sr. He is a long time local racer who passed away recently from non-motorcycle related issues. I never met him, but he was a big part of the CVMA family. Rest in peace.

post #7 of 23 Old 01-20-2015, 01:58 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

You can't give up. If your there ride. It's hard when you get discouraged but you'll be putting in laps and seat time which you can never get enough of. Some rounds go better than others but remember your there to have fun. Obviously winning makes it all the better but not everyone can be on the top step.
post #8 of 23 Old 01-20-2015, 02:23 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Are you going to be there for March 14-15? I'll be coming to chuckwalla to race there and will be riding 13-15 for sure. Maybe do a day on the 11th as well if racers edge has room.
post #9 of 23 Old 01-20-2015, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Dricked- yea, I'm definitely not giving up. If I paid for a race, but dont start, I get my money credited. I wasnt going to spend the money for 4 laps. I will put it to good use next round. I plan to do a track day or two for more seat time. I can work on my corner exit even on a crowded track. Dont even need to worry about lines to do that. I'm sure next round will go better.

Fireman- I will be there for sure! 13-15. Dont think I will have the money/tires to do Racers Edge, but who knows. Hit me up, lets spin some laps!

post #10 of 23 Old 01-20-2015, 03:51 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackClu View Post
Dricked- yea, I'm definitely not giving up. If I paid for a race, but dont start, I get my money credited. I wasnt going to spend the money for 4 laps. I will put it to good use next round. I plan to do a track day or two for more seat time. I can work on my corner exit even on a crowded track. Dont even need to worry about lines to do that. I'm sure next round will go better.

Fireman- I will be there for sure! 13-15. Dont think I will have the money/tires to do Racers Edge, but who knows. Hit me up, lets spin some laps!
You bet, there are 4-5 of us coming down from Alberta. It should be fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in