Q3 or Slicks - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 03-14-2014, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Q3 or Slicks

This is my first post I would like to thank everyone for the information I have gained from the many posts I have read. I have a 08 zx10 that I am using for track days only. The suspension is stock at this point. I ran a day and a half due to rain at Mid-Ohio last Auguest on Q3's with 0 miles on them. The tires felt great even on a drying track. My first question is how many track days can I get out of a set of tires running at a intermediat pace. I am heading out to Barber first week of April should I bring anther set of tires if so would it be beneficial to go to slicks? Any imput is greatly appreciated. Cheers.4:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-14-2014, 09:27 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
If you're truly running at intermediate pace and depending on bike setup and track conditions, you'll be lucky to get 2 days out of a rear Q3. Slicks will likely be the same or a bit worse. Depending on the compound. And usually require tire warmers to get the most out of them. You'll be running faster on those though, all things considered.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 13 Old 03-14-2014, 10:52 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I run slicks in advanced and I get 3 track days at best out of them and you do need warmers for them.

2008 Hayabusa-Yosh Full Race Exhaust can cut 5", PCV w/Autotune, BMC Filter, Cruise Control, HID's. Last Dyno Run 183 Rwhp/107 Ftlbs at 48,954 miles
2006 ZX10R-Street/Track bike- Only mods -1 Front Sprocket, Exhaust Baffle Kit.
2015 R1 (not stock) Imagine that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-14-2014, 11:02 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I can get 3 to 4 track days out of a Q3 rear. I usually go 2 rears to one front.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-14-2014, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thank you. Let me go one step further I purchased warmers for this season and this will be my first trip using them sounds like I will need to replace at least my rear so in your opinion's should I go with slicks or stay with the Q3's. If I go with slicks what is the best to run?
post #6 of 13 Old 03-14-2014, 11:42 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocz2002 View Post
Thank you. Let me go one step further I purchased warmers for this season and this will be my first trip using them sounds like I will need to replace at least my rear so in your opinion's should I go with slicks or stay with the Q3's. If I go with slicks what is the best to run?
I really liked the Pirelli slicks SC2 good grip and feel. The rear would last only 2 track days and their freakin expensive like near four bills a set. You should be able to get the Q3s for under 300 a set.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-15-2014, 12:10 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

You'll get many opinions on who's are the best. It all comes down to personal preference. I've ran Bridgestone's and Dunlop's with good results on both. You have to run lower pressures with the Dunlop's.

2008 Hayabusa-Yosh Full Race Exhaust can cut 5", PCV w/Autotune, BMC Filter, Cruise Control, HID's. Last Dyno Run 183 Rwhp/107 Ftlbs at 48,954 miles
2006 ZX10R-Street/Track bike- Only mods -1 Front Sprocket, Exhaust Baffle Kit.
2015 R1 (not stock) Imagine that
post #8 of 13 Old 03-15-2014, 07:52 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

With Dunlop slicks, a rear I can get around 70 laps with flipping it and the fronts will last twice that easily. Go with a UK made front and US rear for cost effectiveness.

You could alway try a DOT race tire instead.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-15-2014, 08:21 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

2 and 3 days for a Q3??!!??

Check your tire pressures and or suspension. Something is WRONG with your bike.

I've put 4 race practice trackdays on a set, and a few races. Still got half life. Saving them for my street bike (restoring a 93 ZX7) now that I'm on 211s and slicks.

They'll last a damn long time if you take care of them. I can get more life out of Q3's than any other tire. I switched off because I was spinning the rear occasionally in races. Nothing worrisome, but I wanted to see if it could be eliminated with different tires. It can. Of course, better throttle control would work too.

You can hold a pretty blistering pace even on super shitty tires if you have a good throttle hand.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-15-2014, 08:51 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to caboose
Quote:
Originally Posted by dricked View Post
With Dunlop slicks, a rear I can get around 70 laps with flipping it and the fronts will last twice that easily. Go with a UK made front and US rear for cost effectiveness.

You could alway try a DOT race tire instead.
The front's last even longer than that. No one knows how long exactly..... I go through 6 US rears to 1 UK front and that's just because that's crazy... not because the tire is actually falling off.

70 laps out of a rear sounds about right (as longs as you're fast enough to keep it hot!)

2010 10R Superbike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in