New fork upgrades! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 03-23-2014, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

New fork upgrades!

So I have two track days under my belt with my 06. LOVE IT!!! While I was getting the bike set up with Track Side Suspension, they recomended a few things to upgrade. The tech was feeling a fair amount of "sticktion" and suggested the forked be freshened up. A set of springs to match my weight would also greatly improve the feel of the bike. (I'm about two Japanese guys!) Other track day riders also agreed the upgrade would help. Now being a new rider I thought the bike felt fine. Everyone else tells me it is night and day with the forks done right. SO.... here is what we have done. Complete fork tear down, clean and full syn fluids. Traxxion dynamics omni spring kit. New fork buffer kit for the springs. New shims and valves. Fork extenders. Now most of this stuff is speaking Greek to me. I understand the stiffer springs are for my weight. What will the fork extenders do? Will I have to change how the forks go back on the bike? I hope the money spent will be worth it because I love riding this bike on the track. Did I do the right thing here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-23-2014, 11:02 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

The fork extenders will give you a greater range of adjustment when it comes to the bikes geometry. You won't have to change how they go back into the triple clamps but the height you place them is important. I would ask the suspension tuner what height he recommends and if the rear shock should be shimmed as well.

You absolutely spent your money wisely. You might have been able to get a full cartridge kit for the cost of having the oem forks reworked but what you've listed should really improve your front end. Now it's time for a rear upgrade to match!
post #3 of 7 Old 03-23-2014, 11:31 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

For the 06-07 model, something you might want to also check to help with stiction is to see if the forks are being pulled together when the axle is tightened. I found on my 06, that the forks would move very smoothly when off the bike but when I tightened everything up, it bound up again. I put the bike on a head-stem stand and loosened the axle. Lo and behold, there was a gap between the spacer and the fork leg. So, when you tighten the axle, it flexs the forks inwards slightly, causing a lot more friction than there should be.

Now, this may be a limited problem, but from some research, it looks like it may be a Gen 2 issue, or perhaps a limited run of Gen 2s. Best to check it is what I'm saying. It made a significant difference for me.

I cured this by buying a washer that fits just over the axle and was thick enough to take up the gap. After that, no more horrible stiction. Another fix would be to have new spacers machined that are a tiny bit bigger, but I'm a cheap guy sometimes.

------------
WERA Expert #43
2012 WERA National Challenge Series Open Superstock Novice Champion
http://maps.wera.com/racers/racerpro...30532136163864

COMET RACING LEATHERS

2011 ZX-10R Race bike (Vortex, Silkolene, Leatt, Yoshimura, BRIDGESTONE)
2013 ZX-6R 636 Race bike
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-23-2014, 11:53 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

First off yes, you did the right thing. You'll thank yourself every time you make a lap around the track! As to your questions.

Omni Buffers - They are used to keep the springs centered in the fork tube. This helps to minimize rubbing of the springs against the inside of the tubes and keep debris down.

Shims and valving - TSE uses Penske valve kits. OEM valving is designed for a wide range of users. Tuners use valve kits to create valving that will be designed for the rider's need. So they valved it for you and track use.

Fork extenders - They extend the forks either internally or externally. They do this so you more adjustments when tuning geometry.

Like others have said ask TSE where they want you to set the fork tubes at. This will give you a starting point.

Stupidity and Motivation are a dangerous combination

Velocity Calibrations
post #5 of 7 Old 03-23-2014, 11:57 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Money well spent. Your gonna love it. Just to piggy back on what the other guys have said, make sure when you re-install the forks that you tighten the triple trees and clip ons to the correct specified torque. Thats one of the things I found when I had a stiction issue. Everything was over tightened. Also Im assuming you set proper sag and that someone is working with you at the track to help you sort out how the bike is handling?

post #6 of 7 Old 03-23-2014, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Man, I knew I could come here for answers. I will talk to the tech for sure when I put the forks back on. kman0066 Ill will watch for the spacer issue when I install them. Thats good info for sure. I wish there was money in the budget for the shock right now, but it will have to wait a bit. I assumed then front end was the most important for now. The bike will be set up at the track again by the same techs. I am slowly learning about suspension and how important it is. This site is killer! Thanks
post #7 of 7 Old 04-28-2014, 11:11 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
Money well spent. Your gonna love it. Just to piggy back on what the other guys have said, make sure when you re-install the forks that you tighten the triple trees and clip ons to the correct specified torque. Thats one of the things I found when I had a stiction issue. Everything was over tightened. Also Im assuming you set proper sag and that someone is working with you at the track to help you sort out how the bike is handling?
good advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in