Making the pass (video) - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DanHor7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-27-2017, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Making the pass (video)

Here's a pilot run on a video series I've been working on for track day riders. In this video I show one method for making a safe pass in a particular corner. There will be more videos to come depending on the response.
https://youtu.be/Lidf5hlWcFM
Enjoy and let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_8vE...0&feature=plcp
Don't limit yourself to your false perseption of what you're capable of and just do what you dream. It's easier than you can immagine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-02-2017, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Crickets... LOL Ok Guess it wasn't such a good idea.

Don't limit yourself to your false perseption of what you're capable of and just do what you dream. It's easier than you can immagine.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-02-2017, 10:50 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Ummmm...OK, let's not get too hasty with the stoppage on these. I saw the video after you originally posted it, but I haven't had the opportunity to comment appropriately to give you some feedback on it. And a lot of people have probably been out riding for the last few weeks of Summer or have already parked them for the winter.

So, onto the show! I thought the video was actually pretty helpful for new people! Or for others that just aren't that familiar with the way the proper track line should be visualized. I that it was well produced and done well overall! I can see the goal you were trying to get to and I'd say you got to that point!

The biggest thing I didn't like about it was the shaky on-board video. I realize you are limited to what you have access to and this isn't a professional video with unlimited budgets, but that's the biggest drawback for me. Otherwise, I liked the lead-in graphics and commentary and it flowed well from start to finish. For the first of a series, it is a great starting point to build on! Keep at it!

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-02-2017, 11:59 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

+1 on what Skydork said. Getting a better go pro and mount on the camera bike would certainly help make the video feel like it was produced in 2017 :)

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS
post #5 of 9 Old 10-03-2017, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the feedback! Really appreciate that!

I don't own a gopro, but they seem to make a really good camera. I'm thinking about the little 4K cube camera because it would work nice on my quad copters. I was using one of my handheld cameras mounted to a ball joint on my mirror bracket. I've found that quality content typically trumps quality imagery, but I understand if the image is poor enough to distract the audience from the content, it's a problem.

This was about a 40 hour project all in. I have several more in the works covering the full track race line at 3 different venues and another passing video between two tight corners.

Is there anything else you'd like to see? Body position? Throttle application? Trail breaking? Suspension setup?

post #6 of 9 Old 10-03-2017, 07:29 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

So do you have private access to this track? That must be awesome if you do! If you don't and you out there with randoms I would be a bit hesitant to stand where the camera man was ahaha.

I agree that the information being presented is what the video is about and the video is great at that communicating that point. But when a cell phone can record cleaner video, i don't think anyone is gonna cut you much slack in that department. My vote would be for suspension set up for the next vid.

Suspension set up can seem like an aloof ideology for lots of new riders. Some type of black magic that requires two people, a tape measure, reading a language of tires, some guy named Dave Moss haha. If you can make a video showing how to set sag and then moving from there into at least defining what preload, rebound, compression, ride height, etc. are and what adjusting them will do to the bike that would help new riders a lot i would assume. I have a cheap $200 go pro little cube one, and it looks mucho bettero.

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS
post #7 of 9 Old 10-03-2017, 08:21 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHor7 View Post
Is there anything else you'd like to see? Body position? Throttle application? Trail breaking? Suspension setup?
My request is that you use and spell the term "trail braking" properly. You want to use the brakes at the track, not break anything while there.

As for the video quality, there's likely not much you're going to resolve with the on-bike setup. For me, the quality comes into play more with a stabilized set up not the overall resolution. Not a bouncy, jerky, wide-angle video stream. I'm talking about smooth, full-frame, and focused video on the subject in question.

I run my cameras in HD settings of 1280x720p and skip the 1920x1080 resolutions. This is due to the frame rates of the 720p at 60Hz versus 30Hz which allow better video at higher speeds with less blur. Add to that that the slow-motion capture aspects at the 60Hz rates, and the higher resolutions really aren't needed. So you may try more of that.

Also, I would think the edge-of-the-track camera looking would help augment the video rather than just all the on-bike footage. If you have the capability to set up a tripod off track and take some shots, that would add to your videos depending on the topic!

And yes, video production is a long process. I've spent well over 100 hours of labor to try and produce a 1 hour video. It's time consuming to sort, review, layout, edit, and produce good videos! Keep at it though!

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Last edited by SkyDork; 10-03-2017 at 08:23 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-03-2017, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Yeah the track was closed when we shot the video. We were riding about 60% with the camera man standing right in the impact zone lol.

Dave moss is a cool guy. I'm sure he'd be on board with doing a segment with me. It would promote his suspension setup school which is freaking amazing. I could ramble on about what he's taught me, but it would be best coming from the titan himself.

Suspension is a very in depth subject. Maybe to start off, a super basic explanation of component functionality would benefit some newbs. Identifying the audience is probably going to be one of my biggest challenges. Keeping them engaged is another. My goal is to make the video segments informative, fast paced, and entertaining. Not sure how I'm doing.

post #9 of 9 Old 10-03-2017, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
My request is that you use and spell the term "trail braking" properly. You want to use the brakes at the track, not break anything while there.
LOL Dyslexia owns me :-/

Funny thing is, when I was considering a trademark/name for this one I almost went with was [Brake Down] as a play on words. My logo was going to be a brake caliper gripping a ribbon of track or film.
SkyDork likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in