Lowering Lap Times?? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 10-09-2007, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Lowering Lap Times??

Some of you know that I spend a great deal of time riding some street but mostly track. I have been stuck lowering my lap times. I tend to think I am an ok rider but where I am getting killed is corner exits onto the straights. I can hold my line real well and stay on the throttle in the sweepers I can hold my own. Where should I look to lowering my times. I am real good at out breaking most into turns but some where on the track I am killing my times. I am sure its the straights because thats where most people pass me. I am reffering to a specfic track Spring Mountain Motorsports Park Pahrump NV. Here is the other thing I know I am a little heavy compared to the guys I ride with. I do weigh 50-70 lbs more than guys I ride with. I know I am running a bone stock bike and stock tires, However a kawi rep was there running 4 sec. faster than me. The rep weighs a lot less than me too. So what, or where should I look to turn faster lap times Is it in my waste line or should I be hitting the gas much sooner in the corners Racers chime in what has helped you in lowering your times ?

I'm not fast I'm just faster than you
Bikes owned
97 ZX11, 98 R1, 00 CBR929, 02 RC51, 02 Duc 998, 02 GSXR 1000, 04 GSXR 600, 05 ZX10R, 05 ZX6R, 06 Husky TE 510, 07 ZX6R, 04 GSXR 750, 2001 CBR929RR, 2007 ZX10R SE Hows my resume

Last edited by kneedragger; 10-09-2007 at 06:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 10-09-2007, 04:26 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I can relate somewhat, I myself am about 75 to 100lbs heavier than most riders and due to the weight most guys catch and pass with the same level of experience in the straights, and believe me I mash the throttle coming out of turns into them. Id say do more cardio if you can't mod

GEN 4: Brembo HP calipers, Brembo HP T-Drive Rotors, Brembo RCS master cylinder, Fren Tubo SS lines, re-valved Ohlins damper, Ohlins TTX shock, Yoshimura case covers/frame sliders, Yoshimura 3/4 R77D Ti exhaust, BMC filter, Puig DB, Renthal Clip ons/sprockets, attack rearsets, Guhl flash, kawi kit throttle, Ballistic EVO2 8 cell, Annitori RL quick shifter, Dunlop rubber.
post #3 of 39 Old 10-09-2007, 06:18 PM

Posting Frequency

well I could deff teach u some of my skills. IT's easy passing 8 people in one lap and still getting your best time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 10-09-2007, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Thats after I followed you for 4 laps falling back 4 seconds or so and then coming back and passing you and then leaving you behind now that takes made skills.

Bikes owned
97 ZX11, 98 R1, 00 CBR929, 02 RC51, 02 Duc 998, 02 GSXR 1000, 04 GSXR 600, 05 ZX10R, 05 ZX6R, 06 Husky TE 510, 07 ZX6R, 04 GSXR 750, 2001 CBR929RR, 2007 ZX10R SE Hows my resume
post #5 of 39 Old 10-09-2007, 09:04 PM

Posting Frequency

Knee

I've yet too ride with you at SMMP and not sure what kind of times you run. Last time I timed myself at Pahrump I was running 1.47's (this was about 2 years ao) I feel I could run 1.45's with what I know now and bike set up.
If theres anything I could tell you to work on is to be faster in the fast stuff (turn 8)
Work on trail braking, a lot of riders do all their braking before they start too turn in.
Also remember "slow in fast out" in other words dont go in so hot that you miss your apex.
Watch your braking markers.
Those are just a few things to remember when at Pahrump, now if your taking Fontucky talk to Katoom. I is slow there
post #6 of 39 Old 10-09-2007, 09:12 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Perhaps you need to try and crack the throttle open earlier. Usually times are lost on holding throttles thru the turns. So say on a 8 or 9 turn track, this can start to eat into your laptimes.
post #7 of 39 Old 10-09-2007, 09:12 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to green_zx
I have found that have someone faster follow you is very effective. I happened to have someone following me a session. After we got of the track he told he he could drop my lap times 3-4 seconds is I did certain things. I did what he said and he was right. Also there seems to be a personal lap time wall that is much easier to get over when someone gives advice pertaining to the specific track. Mind you I am not expert racer but as a track rider this is what has worked for me.
post #8 of 39 Old 10-10-2007, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

All is great advice and I will return to the track with Trophyscares as we ride together a lot. I have noticed from time to time when I am catching someone in the turns I hear them lay off the throttle say mid corner or apex and then pick it back up. I on the other hand can hear that I am on the gas sooner and I am trying to hold steady gas and open it up on exit. That is how I can manage to close in on so many people. I do have my suspension set up the way I like it. If I took it to someone and they messed with it I don't think I would be running good times as I am starting to do. You brought up a great point on turn 8. I always go into it in 4th down shift once into 3rd and then when 9 aproaches I click it into 2nd finishing of the last turn. Trying like hell to kill the throttle. Here is something else I had a chance to watch my times as my lap timer was right in front of me. I was using reference points and watching my times and some times I was faster in some spots than others. I will note your entrence into 8 next time. I will see what I can pick up from this advice. Thanks LVninja and all the other replies. Keep them coming as I think I have hit a wall and need to break threw it.

Bikes owned
post #9 of 39 Old 10-10-2007, 01:36 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

First, and foremost... you guys that are blaming your wieghts can go ahead and throw that out the window. That's NOT what's slowing you down. Granted, it doesn't help but it's not the problem. I know some BIG guys that are pretty damn fast. And I'm talking 240lb 'big' guys on 600's...

To be able to suggest what to do to speed up someone's lap-times without being familiar with their riding or the track they're on is pretty much impossible but I can definately give some advice that'll drop your times..

You ready? It's easier said than done but here goes....

Slow down less for the turns and open the throttle sooner and harder while exiting. I know, it's not that simple but then again.... it IS just that simple.

One comment in the above replies I found funny was about being passed on the straights and blaming it on weight because you 'really get on the gas exiting'. Straight away speed has nothing to do with how 'hard' you're on the gas exiting the corner. It has EVERYTHING to do with how EARLY you start your drive.

Just some things to think about...

Carry on.

In memory of Nate 'Newt' Lynch 3/24/82 to 8/19/03

2011 WSMC #11
2010 California State Championship Open Production Champion

R. Tillery Powersports, Let's Ride Trackdays, LP; Team Privateer, Shoei
post #10 of 39 Old 10-10-2007, 02:37 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Have to agree with getting a good drive out of corners. I am working on lowering my lap times at Willow Springs and realized what I have to do. Doing it is another matter. Carrying more corner speed and getting on the the throttle sooner on corner exits are things I really need to work on. I watch the really fast guys go through corners and am amazed at how far they lean and at the same time are full on the throttle. Absolute trust in your tires is a must.

If you gotta ask you can't afford it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in