I RACED! unplanned first races yay. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 09-23-2007, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I RACED! unplanned first races yay.

Hey guys,

Headed out to symmons plains today for a track day. Didn't realise it was a track/race day (when the racers class actually race). In the morning one of the racers i know asked if i was racing as they were short on numbers. Being unprepared (sidestand, no lockwire etc) I said no but would try and organise for the next track/race day. I was also a bit nervous having not been to symmons in a month.
Anyway the first race is on and i'm watching the b grade race.... yeah i can run that, not win but run with it. So me and a few other riders i came up with (all on track bikes) signed up. They passed my bike after some quick lockwiring, removal of the sidestand and taping of my head/tail light.
Second race comes round and i find out they combined A and B class. uh oh. I lined up second last on the grid (i missed qaulifying obviously) and up cam the flag...
Great start...much better than i thought i would do. catch 3 people in the first half lap. Another in the second half. For the rest of the race kind of plateud in 6th last (20 starters). Got lapped by 5 (i think) a graders, but felt quite comfortable being so close. Was very happy for my first ever race. Looking back at the riders i would have been running mid class for the b graders only.
Third race was great too, had an even better start and managed to keep with a guy who runs in the top of the b graders until i braked to late and ran wide into the hairpin two laps in a row.
Unfortunately the third race ended in an unfortunate way. One of the a graders got the wobbles (not a tank slapper...less violent) on the start finish straight when on full throttle. He hit the armco railing and got thrown onto the railing then hit a marshal point, going through the steel mesh (for debri from the cars) and hitting the marshal (who also happened to be the club president). The Marshal was okay, semi concious at first but was sitting up and talking. Suspected broken arm and a laceration to the forehead.
The rider was worse off. Also semi concious but shredded to bits. Will most likely lose his left arm and his legs were broken backwards. Not sure internally but he was pretty bad off. I got a glimpse of the guys leathers afterwards (they had to cut them off) and they werent very yellow anymore.
Not a great way to end a very exciting and otherwise great day.

I think i'll be racing next month again though.
Pictures of the bike to come soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Symmons%20Plains.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	45365  

Once i thought more than two strokes was masturbation. Now I realise that 4 feel better, and who am I to argue with my feelings.

05 Black/white road/track zx-10r. Race fairings with stock headlight custom blinkers, Brembo MC, HEL braided lines, Toby dampner, Mustard Block-off plates, plugged airbox, Mustard Heel guards, Mustard Ram-air tube support, custom flip-up rear fender eliminator, custom rear fender, custom seat cowl, corsa 111's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-23-2007, 07:27 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Good job Mustard, its a thrill isnt it.

Not good to here about that rider. Everytime i see a race there those barriers give me a bad feeling.

And on another note did you see they are changing the Formula Extreme rules for next year, check them out before you set your bike up too far. My bike wont be eligable anymore unless i change a bunch of stuff so will probably just do some ECRRS events next year.

Black and Green 05 ZX10R - Race Bike
post #3 of 16 Old 09-23-2007, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Cheers better check that out! Do you know where i can find the rules?
Was great, and my lap times must have dropped heaps, felt heaps faster and learnt some good lines aswell... still havent touched the knee down!?. The A graders were the likes of Brett Simmonds (supersport privateer) Scotty cambell (Supersport contender at the tas ASC round and Malcom Cambells son) Brad Wooton (superstock) and his brother (FX), so it was great to ride amongst them. Not a bad result either considering this was only my third time at simmons.

The accident was bad but a bit of a freak accident i think. Had he come of his bike and hit the barrier he would have slid along it and probably be fine. Its because he ended up on top and over it that it turned out the way it did. The uprights behind the armco is what did the damage.

Once i thought more than two strokes was masturbation. Now I realise that 4 feel better, and who am I to argue with my feelings.

05 Black/white road/track zx-10r. Race fairings with stock headlight custom blinkers, Brembo MC, HEL braided lines, Toby dampner, Mustard Block-off plates, plugged airbox, Mustard Heel guards, Mustard Ram-air tube support, custom flip-up rear fender eliminator, custom rear fender, custom seat cowl, corsa 111's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 09-23-2007, 07:48 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

They dont have the final rules out yet but the draft rules are on http://www.aus-superbikes.com.au/

Look on the news page for 2008 Revised Formula Extreme Draft Rules and you get an overall picture of how it should be.

Basically its going like superstock to get rid of the advantage the guys with ex factory bikes had. It would be good if i hadnt modded my bike past the rules as it should be a lot closer from now on.

Looks like i will have to pick up an 08 10R when i can find one cheap.

post #5 of 16 Old 09-23-2007, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

08 would be nice. I didn't think you had any engine work done? Cant return it to stock? My bikes only got a slip on, Home made TRE, My own Block-off plates brembo master and braided lines. If i can't run the brembo then i can't do the race, simple as that, unfortunately the standard MC is that bad.

post #6 of 16 Old 09-23-2007, 08:17 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

No engine work done but would have to remove V stacks, quickshifter, MC, TRE and slicks.

I could do it but would take time to reset up which is a pain. And as you said stock MCs are not the best on 04/05s. I dont think you will see too many older 10Rs out there.

post #7 of 16 Old 09-23-2007, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Just read that and theoretically as it stands there you could use a 636 master cilinder with zx-14 calipers! That might be doable depending on the cost... Intersting that crank case casings have to be heavy duty... better start saving...

post #8 of 16 Old 09-23-2007, 08:22 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I think you read it wrong.

BRAKES
OEM per model & year calipers, Disc’s & Master cylinders.
Pads and Lines manufacturer optional.

To me that reads that the only things you can change are pads and lines, all else is stock per model and year.

post #9 of 16 Old 09-23-2007, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Thats doable it may need setting up but its cheaper than an new 08

post #10 of 16 Old 09-23-2007, 08:25 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
Thats doable it may need setting up but its cheaper than an new 08
Not if i get one from the US and get a mate to ship it for free .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in