Gen 2: 2006-2007 I did my first track day... now the dilema... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 03-03-2014, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I did my first track day... now the dilema...

Hi guys, so I did my first ever track day this weekend (at Motorsport Ranch, Cresson, TX; 1.7 mile variation)... and it was TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!! It was so awesome that I don't think I want to ride street anymore, and just go to track days all the time... Now, there is a little problem...

I took my Gen 2 (as it was build as track bike, bought with salvaged frame, my thread about it is here: https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=121905). Even though, I am a noob to track days, it did not take me too long to realize that liter bike is way too much for the beginner like me. Now comes the dilema. I am keeping my Gen 2 for future races (as eventually, I will get good, plus I put too much work into it to just let it go), but I need something else to learn to ride track. So....

comes in 2005 GSX-R 750. That is my street bike that I ride every once in a while. So my question is: what should I do?
1. Do I sell my GSX-R and get something in the 600cc (R6, GSX-R 600, etc)
2. Do I keep it and turn GSX-R into another track bike?

my only concern is that though noticeable, the jump from liter to 750 is still going to be too much for me, where 600 will give me the best chance to learn?
Let me know that you think....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Welcome to the addiction! 4:

Trackdays are a blast and Cresson is one of my fav Texas tracks. I decided to skip this weekend so that I can do both days at MSRH coming up.

In regards to the bike being too much for you...I'll give my $0.02 regarding the liter bike on the track, but most people will probably disagree with me.

I started riding the track last April on a 2008 CBR1000. I was a bit nervous and really slow, but I had a blast riding TWS. I was slow in the corners and didn't really open up the throttle on the straights so that the faster guys on smaller bikes could pass me (plus it was just a whole lot of acceleration that I wasn't ready for yet) I went back in May, still slow, and began to add more throttle coming out of the corner and slowly getting to full throttle on the straights to get used to what the bike would do.

I went back a few more times and by August I had progressed enough for level 2. My first day in level 2 was at Cresson. It felt great. I was no longer the slow guy and even had guys tell me they were surprised it was my first time in level 2. a few trackdays later I was ready for level 3, albeit a little nervous. But once I got out there I felt comfortable. Since then I've started racing (which required switching to the baddest bike on the market--Gen4 ZX-10R :) well, it didn't require it, but I treated myself to a new bike anyway) and love riding a liter bike on the track.

Now, does that mean I'm saying I couldn't have progressed faster on a 600? No. I'm sure I would have. Just saying its possible to learn on a 1000. I think you'll find you get more comfortable on it faster than you think...but I also think you will learn quicker on a 600--at least that's what everyone tells me. Just saying you don't have to buy a new bike to learn the track. Its up to you though. I know I'd sure love to try a new 636 on the track.

Last edited by Brad_the_noob; 03-03-2014 at 10:44 AM.
post #3 of 19 Old 03-03-2014, 10:59 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

You can learn on a liter bike, but a smaller bike would probably be easier since tthey so easy to flick around.

Turn that 750 into track only and your gen2 to street only! 750 is a great track bike. Very nimble with good power delivery.

Strictly for the GEN2's Sporting the undertail with pride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 03-03-2014, 11:03 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I agree with Brad.

Soon enough you'll learn how to limit your wrist and then you go from there. Each new day you'll be braking later and giving gas sooner on a corner. And giving more gas. and going faster.

It's overwhelming at first being out there on a liter bike where really, most of the tracks aren't designed for that size of a bike. But it doesn't mean you can't learn on them, have a great time, and progress.

I'd stick to your current bike for a few more track days at least before getting a smaller bike.

Unless, as zdawg said you could put your own 750 down to the track at no cost.
post #5 of 19 Old 03-03-2014, 11:10 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I'll add...I'm glad I found the track because it keeps me from being a squid and hooligan or hurting myself on the streets. Like OP said, I no longer desire to ride the streets. And when I do, I don't have to go 100+ because I know I'll be back at the track soon.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #6 of 19 Old 03-03-2014, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

thanks for replies guys... surely, i don't doubt that I will learn sooner or later, I just didn't know how "later" that be. But it sounds that like if I do track days constantly, I will get a hang of liter bike. I just was overwhelmed the first time out

post #7 of 19 Old 03-03-2014, 11:54 AM
rkd
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Great insight! Good to see someone else describe the learning curve.

I realized that there was a learning curve, and bike expenses to match, after two not so spectacular trips to the dragstrip on my 10.

So I went the other way! I decided I like just riding around so much that I am not going to drag the bike as much as I wanted to. It helps that I have a dedicated drag car, but have not had time to run it in over a year. Want to avoid another trailered toy. But I wholeheartedly agree with getting as much hot rod fun off the street as possible.

Home repair, car repair, work, bike, waverunner, family, other hotrod projects.

Too many fun things, not enough time!
post #8 of 19 Old 03-03-2014, 01:02 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishanja View Post
So my question is: what should I do?
1. Do I sell my GSX-R and get something in the 600cc (R6, GSX-R 600, etc)
2. Do I keep it and turn GSX-R into another track bike?

my only concern is that though noticeable, the jump from liter to 750 is still going to be too much for me, where 600 will give me the best chance to learn?
Let me know that you think....
My first track days were on my street bike - a second gen zx10r. I became addicted immediately. I also felt the 10r was too much power for me. I went ahead and found a fully built retired racebike (600cc) for real cheap. Fully built track bikes are out there for pennies on the dollar, so I think option number (2) is out due to cost. Either sell the gsxr and buy a fully built racebike or ride the 10r. Personally, I would lean toward riding the 10r since you've already put some money into it and it's perfectly capable 4:
post #9 of 19 Old 03-03-2014, 02:05 PM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Ill throw in my $.02. Im no expert by any means but Ive watched guys on 600 whip the tar out of guys on liter bikes track day after track day. Theres a trend here towards 250's and I think thats a good thing. You can learn TONS on one and they are so forgiving. Not to mention the corner speed is rediculous. Now most guys arent gonna ride a 250 because their desire to learn isnt as big as their ego. Shamefully that includes me. I may get flamed but in your case I would sell the 10 and keep your eye on the WERA classifieds for another GSXR 600 or 750. They are cheap to buy and cheap to fix. The parts for years are inter-changable and you already have one. That not only means your used to it but you can share parts if needed between the two. BTW as Brad said "Welcome to the addiction."

post #10 of 19 Old 03-03-2014, 02:13 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I agree. But I heard an instructor once say "you don't know what you don't know" and I've never ridden anything less than a 1000 on the track and I'm having fun with the big bike. I won't know what I'm missing out on until I try it, but for now, as long as I'm having fun I'll continue with this bike.

However, I am looking for a 250 so I can get into lightweight endurance racing. It's cheaper to race endurance than the big bikes and from what I've heard, just as fun. Plus "tons of corner speed" that I hope will transfer over to the big bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in