Going from an Intermediate Jennings to an Expert? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 11-18-2014, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Going from an Intermediate Jennings to an Expert?

Things I taught myself about Jennings GP:
• Personal best time 1:31
• Track Record 1:18
• Experts average 1:21

My Question(s)

How do you get to the next level? (Especially when the equipment can’t be used as a defense)

What one thing clicked and made all the difference?

Should I find a racing school and start there?

Things my Motorcycle has Taught Me
People ask us why we ride a motorcycle. For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Four wheels move the body; two wheels move the soul.

You start the game of life with a full pot of luck and an empty pot of experience. The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.

Last edited by tazman; 11-18-2014 at 07:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-18-2014, 06:55 AM
Crash Test Dummy

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to Hernando Send a message via Skype™ to Hernando
I'm gunna say time on the track. The more time you spend the faster you will become. Have your suspension dialed in and talk to the fast guys and vendors about what their running ie tire pressure suspension settings geometry ect. Schools are great and everything but nothing replaces time in the saddle.

I'm assuming you have a well sorted bike since you said equipment can't be an excuse.

Bear Jew
post #3 of 12 Old 11-18-2014, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

(Reasoning)
You can ask a faster rider to show you the correct line but at a point you’re doing to have to own it. Does that mean you have to crash to learn to go faster? Reference points are good but Racing is the testing of that point and how far over the edge you and the equipment are capable of going.

I believe in owning the moment, so when my equipment is being raced by a more experienced rider that is able to start last in the expert mock race and peck off individuals one by one to challenge for the Lead. I would say the bike is not the weak like in the formula.

People ask us why we ride a motorcycle. For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

You start the game of life with a full pot of luck and an empty pot of experience. The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-18-2014, 08:21 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman View Post
Things I taught myself about Jennings GP:
• Personal best time 1:31
• Track Record 1:18
• Experts average 1:21

My Question(s)

How do you get to the next level? (Especially when the equipment can’t be used as a defense)

What one thing clicked and made all the difference?

Should I find a racing school and start there?

I think you go to the next level whenever you're ready. Seat time. I'd rather be the slow advanced guy than the quick guy in intermediate. It's not some magic black and white transition. You can always try a session in the fast group and test the waters.

In the fast group people are smoother and more predictable. Following those guys can be a good lesson. I was facing your exact question this season - I tried the advanced group toward the end of this season and do not think I want to go back to the intermediate group where the skill level spread is almost scary lol. I was one of the slower guys out there, but with predictable lines, the fast guys had no trouble going around me.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-18-2014, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

rgprestige15

Thanks I guess that's the root of the question I'm I fast enough to be that slow guy in the advanced group. Work on the proper line and I bet the speed will come.

The trashing my buddy put on the my bike was flippin awesome, I think in was only the 2nd time he rode my bike and it was gp shifted which his uses standard shift. I will go over the bike this winter with plans for April 2015. I'm only missing a link pipe and quick shift to be complete.

The Times will drop and the fun won't stop so I won't quit.

post #6 of 12 Old 11-18-2014, 12:50 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
I started track days at Jennings when I was stationed in GA. My best there was a 1:26.2 but I was always in intermediate. If you're comfortable with fast guys around you, the best way to get better is trying to follow faster riders
post #7 of 12 Old 11-18-2014, 01:23 PM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
One thing that helped me was to follow someone running laps 2 to 4 seconds a lap faster and try and keep up. I ran my fastest times that way. Obviously someone 10 seconds a lap faster is going to leave you but just a few seconds faster forces you to keep up. I learned where I could be faster that way.

post #8 of 12 Old 11-18-2014, 01:37 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

you will need to be evaluated by the track day organization staff to be upgraded to any class. to be upgraded to advanced, you will know the lines, are predictable, and can maintain a speed equivalent to the groups speed, and be comfortable both in close passing and passing close all while riding safely within your limits.

in my humble opinion, if you are still working on lines and speed, grab a track coach, and ask for one on one help, and evaluation for the next level group.

it is a recipe for disaster to bump yourself up. some track day orgs, if they find you bumped up, and cannot back up your claims, and safety on the track, will sit you down, up to and including not letting you ride with any group for that day, or suspending you from further riding with the org.

your results may vary. Ski

May we all, get to have a chance to ride the fast one, walk away wiser when we crash one, keep hopin that the best one is the last one.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-18-2014, 02:15 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
One thing that helped me was to follow someone running laps 2 to 4 seconds a lap faster and try and keep up. I ran my fastest times that way. Obviously someone 10 seconds a lap faster is going to leave you but just a few seconds faster forces you to keep up. I learned where I could be faster that way.
^This 100000%

Someone slightly faster to push your limits but not enough to make you ride over your head will help you gain speed.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-18-2014, 02:41 PM
Crash Test Dummy

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to Hernando Send a message via Skype™ to Hernando
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooboy View Post
you will need to be evaluated by the track day organization staff to be upgraded to any class. to be upgraded to advanced, you will know the lines, are predictable, and can maintain a speed equivalent to the groups speed, and be comfortable both in close passing and passing close all while riding safely within your limits.

in my humble opinion, if you are still working on lines and speed, grab a track coach, and ask for one on one help, and evaluation for the next level group.

it is a recipe for disaster to bump yourself up. some track day orgs, if they find you bumped up, and cannot back up your claims, and safety on the track, will sit you down, up to and including not letting you ride with any group for that day, or suspending you from further riding with the org.

your results may vary. Ski
I was going to mention something earlier about different organization polices. I've personally had many close calls with people who shouldn't be in the fast group. Some Orgs will kick em some won't.

Bear Jew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in