Gen 4 Clip-on w/Sharkskins - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 02-16-2016, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Gen 4 Clip-on w/Sharkskins

Hi,

Woodcraft shows that 1" risers are required for the gen 4 but that's with stock bodywork.
Looking to run either Vortex or Woodcraft clip-ons on a track only '12 with Sharkskins body work.
Anyone know if I will still have clearance issue?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-16-2016, 11:02 PM
Always On Mod

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by madski View Post
Hi,

Woodcraft shows that 1" risers are required for the gen 4 but that's with stock bodywork.
Looking to run either Vortex or Woodcraft clip-ons on a track only '12 with Sharkskins body work.
Anyone know if I will still have clearance issue?

TIA
I run Renthal clipons on my 2011 with Sharkskins fairings. I had to trim a bit of the inner dash to not press my brake lever for me. The clipons also put the brake and clutch perches far enough forward that they will crash into the dash before the steering stops.

They work, but will limit your turning radius a little bit. Generally not an issue for track only bike, but something to be aware of

Fast parts, Great Service: PM Mike at Rider's Discount
post #3 of 12 Old 02-16-2016, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thanks, I just picked up the bike so looking at options. I have 2 sets of factory clip-ons so for the time being it may just make sense to run those till something bad happens.
I have my forks out and a set of Vortex clip-on laying around the garage. I'll probably toss them on when I get the forks back to see what it looks like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-17-2016, 12:11 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

So thats why my bike feels weird with my no rise clip-ons. lol Thought I was just retarded trying to maneuver in the pits.
evilaugust likes this.

2009 R6 Racebike - Up for sale!!! Let me know if interested.

2013 ZX10R- SOLD

2008 ZX10R- SOLD
post #5 of 12 Old 02-17-2016, 12:47 PM
Always On Mod

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent1101 View Post
So thats why my bike feels weird with my no rise clip-ons. lol Thought I was just retarded trying to maneuver in the pits.
That feeling when you are trying to turn the bike around and the front brake slams on

post #6 of 12 Old 02-17-2016, 01:43 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal11 View Post
That feeling when you are trying to turn the bike around and the front brake slams on
At least with the track fairings installed the brake lights don't come on every time that happens.

The worst is when you're just idling over to tech. It's early, you're still half asleep, no gloves, wearing shorts and Chuck Taylors, one or two fingers covering the brake lever (just out of habit) and you crunch one between the dash and the lever. Hurts like hell.

Saw one guy so the same thing, but stalled the bike and lost his balance. Poor bastard proceeded to fall into the door fame of the tech garage. I think he went home after that out of pure embarrassment.

Last edited by Cyclotron; 02-17-2016 at 01:46 PM.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-18-2016, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Setting the bike down on a nonexistent kickstand is my favorite way to win the tech line Darwin award...
post #8 of 12 Old 02-18-2016, 06:58 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal11 View Post
I run Renthal clipons on my 2011 with Sharkskins fairings. I had to trim a bit of the inner dash to not press my brake lever for me. The clipons also put the brake and clutch perches far enough forward that they will crash into the dash before the steering stops.

They work, but will limit your turning radius a little bit. Generally not an issue for track only bike, but something to be aware of
Had this problem with my renthals and armour bodies, stuck on a pair of lead wheel weights to each side of the steering stop to limit the rotation to prevent the brake and clutch levers from hitting the dash, also helps to save your steering stops from tearing off in a crash.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-18-2016, 09:36 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

This might be a dumb question but where are the steering stops? Mine might have been destroyed from previous owner when bike was crashed.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-18-2016, 09:58 PM
Always On Mod

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent1101 View Post
This might be a dumb question but where are the steering stops? Mine might have been destroyed from previous owner when bike was crashed.
The lower triple clamp has arms that stick up and hit a knob on the bottom of the intake. The casting on the intake is kinda thin so in a lowsided if the bars crash hard enough they can break the stop out of the frame. Mine did during a crash.

The wheel weights to extend the stops out is a good idea, otherwise the bars can crash through the display and break that. Which happened to me too. I was lucky to just be able to replace the housing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in