First Trackday on ZX10r - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 06-25-2013, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

First Trackday on ZX10r

So I took the 2008 ZX10 to the track for the first time. I went to NCBIKE running Sport Group. It was my 5th trackday in general. I was running a 2005 ZX6r before. I was running stock suspension on brand new Q2s (F29psi, R28psi). I will post pictures of tire wear later.

In the straights the ZX10r was bar none the fastest in my group. It would just pull away from the GSXR 1000s and R1s.

In the turns it was a blast but not as smooth or as stable as my ZX6r was. This was probably due to the the time on the bike and suspension tuning that was done to the zx6r. The power was addicting coming out of the turns. It was so much easier to set up passes and just all around ride. The lack of traction controls almost got me into the trouble a couple of time. I almost lost it coming out of the long left handed turn passing a coach, I lost the rear causing me to almost highside and blow the next turn. After that I lost a lot of confidence and had to slow it down a little.

My avatar is from that trackday. I really would like to get a quickshifter, suspension set up, track fairings, and couple odds and ends. I am also looking into a sticker tire and spare set of rims. I will continue to work on my skills in hopes of doing some racing in the future.

Does anybody know if there is a tank spacer out there to put me further back in the seat? I like to ride right on the tank and it makes it kinda awkward sometimes. I saw a spacer on a gen 4. I am also open to pointers and advice.

2009 R6 Racebike - Up for sale!!! Let me know if interested.

2013 ZX10R- SOLD

2008 ZX10R- SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-25-2013, 09:50 PM
Squid wannabe

Posting Frequency

Sounds like you had fun!
Lets see some pics.

I was actually thinking about making a bump pad so i dont slide back on the seat, coming off corners when getting on the gas i would slide back and it would wheelie.

But i guess a tank spacer would work too, just to keep you in the same place all the time.

"The ZX-10R is capable of being perfectly docile and tractable, but few men are capable of resisting its ever-present voice urging them to just twist it and see what happens."
post #3 of 6 Old 06-25-2013, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I just want something to move me back so I don't spread my legs (gigity). I only have the one picture because I didn't pay for the rest.

2013 ZX10R- SOLD

2008 ZX10R- SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-28-2013, 06:09 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Yeah the gen 3 is a great bike and i'm sure you'll gain more confidence with the handling, especially after some suspension tweaking or parts. I was just like you going from a 05 636 to an 08 10r. Mine has aftermarket suspension, but it was a little more nervous feeling than the 6r. But definately a monster motor and i liked it better.

anyway, i'm selling mine and may have a complete race body if you're interested. The buyer originally told me he wanted it, but i think he may have changed his mind. PM me if you think you're interested and i can send you some pics of it.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-28-2013, 06:34 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

work on your body positioning to fix your nut to tank issue. aka use your legs more, squeeze the tank with your knees, keep the weight on the balls of your feet, not on your ass to the seat. i find when i get lazy at the track, i only have to rack em once, and its enough to remind me to not be lazy.

secret to a track bike is simple, suspension, brakes, tires n tune. basic set ups for all of these is more than adequate for most riders. q2's will run fast group times safely, so don't spend a buncha money on tires or warmers. suspension, sometimes just needs to be have the sag/rebound set properly to make a huge difference. brakes, sometimes are just fine, it's the fade that'll get ya in trouble. tune, absolutely critical to have a smooth throttle response.

liters have a steeper learning curve cuz of that throttle, with so much more tq under you, gotta be more careful :) good luck, glad you had fun
post #6 of 6 Old 06-28-2013, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

At this point I just need some seat time. Use my legs to grip but for some reason I like to hug the tank with my nuts. I'll mess with my rear sets to see if it helps. My suspension does need some work.

2013 ZX10R- SOLD

2008 ZX10R- SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in