Gen 4: 2011-2015 First trackday! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 01-10-2014, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

First trackday!

Just wanted to post up on the forums, I just signed up for my first track day with my sexy zx10. I'm pretty stoked. Just gotta figure out the small stuff and tire choice

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 01-10-2014, 04:38 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

welcome. it's great, there's a lot to learn, take it easy, don't expect to be rossi and dont worry about getting passed, leave your ego at home, learn from instructors, start with basics, bring shade, a seat, and extra water. start with q3's or drc's as they both work as great track tires and can be ridden on the street. have the suspension guy at the track set your bike up, its usually 40 bucks ish. no question is a dumb question, either, ask away. honestly it's far more satisfying as an instructor to help someone willing to learn, instead of having to track down someone in the pits and tell them they're being unsafe
post #3 of 27 Old 01-10-2014, 04:56 PM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
welcome. it's great, there's a lot to learn, take it easy, don't expect to be rossi and dont worry about getting passed, leave your ego at home, learn from instructors, start with basics, bring shade, a seat, and extra water. start with q3's or drc's as they both work as great track tires and can be ridden on the street. have the suspension guy at the track set your bike up, its usually 40 bucks ish. no question is a dumb question, either, ask away. honestly it's far more satisfying as an instructor to help someone willing to learn, instead of having to track down someone in the pits and tell them they're being unsafe
Write down everything he said. Its all 100% perfect advice. I would add only two things. Have fun. Ride at YOUR pace and as naked said "leave your ego at home". The second is get ready to spend every waking moment obsessing about how you can get back and do it again. Its more addictive than heroin.

Oh and report back!! We want pics and a run down of how it went.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 01-10-2014, 05:13 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
Write down everything he said. Its all 100% perfect advice. I would add only two things. Have fun. Ride at YOUR pace and as naked said "leave your ego at home". The second is get ready to spend every waking moment obsessing about how you can get back and do it again. Its more addictive than heroin.

Oh and report back!! We want pics and a run down of how it went.
i spent my first year literally dreaming of the corners, and when i was awake, closing my eyes and running the track in my head almost every waking moment, thinking of brake markers, lines, when to hit the throttle, etc...yeah no it's totally not addicting...
post #5 of 27 Old 01-10-2014, 06:24 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post

:mod_smilie_+1:
post #6 of 27 Old 01-11-2014, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Of course I'll be posting some pics up and a little review on how it goes. I'm going with a good group if friends. It should be a blast!!!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #7 of 27 Old 01-11-2014, 11:26 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I have 5yrs of Roadracing experience, but that was back in the mid 80’s. I’ll be doing my first track days sometime this spring and I have a question for you guys; how much of the bike should I remove? Mirrors, signals, etc.. do lights need to be taped up? should the kickstand be zip-tied up? license plate removed? Of course all this stuff was completely removed from my racebikes back in the day, but I’ve never done a track day so not sure what is expected. For instance if they allow you to leave your mirrors on, I’m not sure if I would want to spend any of my $10 of attention on what’s behind me. Not sure if it would be too distracting or not. On the other hand if you take all these parts off your bike and then wad it up on the track, how do you explain the mint-condition mirrors/signals to the insurance company when you try to make your claim? Re-install them and then tow your bike out to a canyon and push it over the edge? Then looking at a reckless/negligent driving ticket from highway patrol. Curious on your thoughts..
post #8 of 27 Old 01-11-2014, 12:12 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDsting View Post
I have 5yrs of Roadracing experience, but that was back in the mid 80ís. Iíll be doing my first track days sometime this spring and I have a question for you guys; how much of the bike should I remove? Mirrors, signals, etc.. do lights need to be taped up? should the kickstand be zip-tied up? license plate removed? Of course all this stuff was completely removed from my racebikes back in the day, but Iíve never done a track day so not sure what is expected. For instance if they allow you to leave your mirrors on, Iím not sure if I would want to spend any of my $10 of attention on whatís behind me. Not sure if it would be too distracting or not. On the other hand if you take all these parts off your bike and then wad it up on the track, how do you explain the mint-condition mirrors/signals to the insurance company when you try to make your claim? Re-install them and then tow your bike out to a canyon and push it over the edge? Then looking at a reckless/negligent driving ticket from highway patrol. Curious on your thoughts..
Every track day org is a bit different check the website of the org you will be doing the track day with. You can probably keep the mirrors just tape them over but if you fall down it will add additional cost to your repairs have you looked at what mirrors cost kind of expensive. You shouldn't. have to do anything with the kickstand. Most track day orgs will have you remove the license plate. Some track day orgs will let you run oem coolant in the lower classes but if you ride A you will need water wetter or Engine ice for coolant. Lights and signals must be taped up. If your riding a Gen 4 im sure you know how easy it is to remove the mirrors and fuses. Most insurance companies will cover you at track day as it is considered a rider training day. I know several guys that have fallen at track day and their insurance covered the damage. key word here is rider training day. I'm a track day junkie. Have fun.
post #9 of 27 Old 01-11-2014, 12:22 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

really good point on the "training day," especially if there is a school involved. thanks!
post #10 of 27 Old 01-11-2014, 02:08 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDsting View Post
really good point on the "training day," especially if there is a school involved. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in