First Track Day - I'm hooked! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 09-01-2015, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

First Track Day - I'm hooked!

I participated in my first track day event this past Sunday at Putnam Park Road Course in Indiana. There were a total of 7, 20 minute sessions on-track for the novice group. The first two were basically follow the leader sessions with control riders and then they turned us loose and continued to circulate and provide one-on-one guidance as needed/requested. I have a laundry list of things to work on (body position, brake later, get on the throttle earlier on exit, better turn in points, the list goes on and on) but it was easily the most fun I've had on two wheels. I can't wait to get back out there at the end of September! I dusted off the GoPro and recorded the last session of the day. I was running Dunlop Q3's, and kept the power mode on Low and TC on 2 all day. I regret not exploring the Med and Full power modes but I was trying to minimize the "pucker factor" for my first time out haha.

Here's the video - https://youtu.be/xSnWkZYWdKo. The 1-4 minute mark is just me sitting in the hot pit waiting to go green so skip that if you watch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6798.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	337945  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-01-2015, 02:12 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Welcome to the darkside. Your hooked. lol Congrats on your first track day. Nice looking track lots of grass and plenty of runoff area.

Last edited by TechX; 09-01-2015 at 02:20 PM.
post #3 of 17 Old 09-01-2015, 02:35 PM
formerly GHOST RIDER

Posting Frequency

Another addict in the house!!

Never forget who helped you!
Never forgive who fu*ked you.
Doing a trackday is like "SEX", no matter what happens you'll want to hit it again..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 09-01-2015, 04:01 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
And it starts, haha. I've done 2 track days this year (first one ever was in May), got my 3rd one booked for this up coming sunday. Its addicting. I used my 08 ZX6R for most of the day and let loose my 2015 zx10r in full power mode but traction control on #2. Had a nasty speed wobble but got out of it pretty quick. This shit is like crack.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-02-2015, 04:00 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUN1 View Post
Another addict in the house!!
Yes sir. Track is crack. That's for sure.

post #6 of 17 Old 09-02-2015, 08:29 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Congrats, get another credit card and another job!!! And don't rush yourself into anything when you're at the track, let it come to you.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-02-2015, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Haha thanks guys! Now if only I could swing a second identical zx10 as a track-only steed... I saw a bunch of guys out there running their dedicated track bikes. Seems like a great way to go.
post #8 of 17 Old 09-02-2015, 02:45 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Best way to do it, that way if you wreck it, no biggy. Like I said, I use the 08 ZX6R on the track and once im warmed up and in the zone, I bring out my 10R for a session to let loose. Here was a speed wobble I went through

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atYHHJKsBNM
post #9 of 17 Old 09-02-2015, 02:52 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan317 View Post
Haha thanks guys! Now if only I could swing a second identical zx10 as a track-only steed... I saw a bunch of guys out there running their dedicated track bikes. Seems like a great way to go.
Congratulations sir!

As an instructor for many many years seeing thousands of new riders join the trackday club what I have learned is that for most riders whose aptitude towards riding is higher than average, combined with an internal drive to become more proficient at riding simply give up street riding. You cannot even remotely use the potential of a sportbike on public roads and even the cleanest public road never has the grip of a prepped track surface so it is a natural progression for riders looking to become more adept at riding proficiency to move towards a track only environment.

Sure there are guys that still enjoy street riding or that only have 1 bike for transportation so they are stuck pulling double duty, but when it is all said and done if you are serious about going fast then dedicated track bikes are the way to go.
post #10 of 17 Old 09-02-2015, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakes709 View Post
Best way to do it, that way if you wreck it, no biggy. Like I said, I use the 08 ZX6R on the track and once im warmed up and in the zone, I bring out my 10R for a session to let loose. Here was a speed wobble I went through

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atYHHJKsBNM
Yikes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in