Disappointed with Gen 4 Track day performance - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 112 Old 02-17-2014, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Disappointed with Gen 4 Track day performance

Really unhappy with the Gen 4 at track day yesterday. It really sucked in lower speed corners with no feel on corner entry. It just feels big and cumbersome. The ride height adjustment did help with holding the line on corner exit but there's just not enough feel to enter slower speed corners with aggression. I'm really hoping its the bridgestone tires their stock 016s. I pulled the Gen 1 from the trailer and went much faster right away. Its probably apples and oranges because the Gen 1 has Race Tech components and is using Q3s. The Gen 1 just feels and is smaller and I really enjoy the way the motor delivers power and of course it has shorter gearing. It gives great feedback on corner entry and exit. The Gen 4 was geared way to tall for the track I could go around almost all the track in second only the straight required a shift to third. My son rode it also and had similar complaints. We put it back in the trailer and finished the day on the Gen 1 that put the smile back on our face. I'm going to try some Q3s for its next outing at the track hope that's what the problem is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 112 Old 02-17-2014, 10:48 AM
vr6
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Your gen I sounds like it was set up with nice modifications and fantastic tires.

The gen IV has very tall gears and tires alone can make you faster.

I was faster on my modified gen iii, but I'm just starting to build up my gen IV.

It took Sykes an entire season to figure out tire wear.

Also sounds like a small track if you can run most of it in 2nd.

My guess is that you have more seat time on the gen 1; which is a great bike by the way.
post #3 of 112 Old 02-17-2014, 11:30 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Go down one tooth on the front sprocket. Go up 2 on the rear

Move the fork tubes level with the triple clamps and put an 8 to 9 mm spacer on the top of the shock yoke (to raise back end). and get the sag set and you WILL like it once you get some decent tires.

Speedy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 112 Old 02-17-2014, 11:34 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

When I switched to the Q3's it was a night and day difference compared to the factory Bridgestones. The bike no doubt needs to be somewhat geared, unless in those slow speed corners you can do them in first gear.

2016 Ninja H2 - CANADAS Fastest 1/4 - 8.34 at 169mph - 208.4mph in the mile. Brocks Performance Stage 2 Package, MC Cycle works Intercooler, Full Polished Slash-Cut Exhaust, DNA Filter, PC5, Brocks Lowering Links, Brocks Front Strap Kit, BST Rim, Adams Performance Swingarm 7-11", Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen, Evotech Radiator Guard, Evotech Fork Sliders, Yoshimura Tail Tidy

2011 ZX10R - SOLD
post #5 of 112 Old 02-17-2014, 12:12 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

so, because i am that turd in the punchbowl, the gen 4 needs a grand or two before its very good. it needs a flash with a slip on, cuz its got weak midrange and the top end drops off stock, it needs rear shock and linkage because the stock is just rubbish. also, better tires will help huge, Q3's really are a great way to go for a non dedicated track bike
post #6 of 112 Old 02-17-2014, 02:11 PM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Subscribed to see how you get it sorted cause I know you will. 4:

post #7 of 112 Old 02-17-2014, 02:54 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Setup gearing (start -1 front and +2 back) get some decent tires on it, the standard bridgestones are street tires and i like them as my street tires. Don't know if yours is a FP or a limited us spec, mine is a EU FP spec and even mine has a poor grund power, rip of the cat and add a link pipe. Even with the stock can and a link pipe it will feel stronger. I can't imagine the G4 will handle like a bus, mine handles like a bike.
Things i did -2 front, steel brakelines, RCS brembo MC, cat delete pipe and sinds last week the MIVV GP can (until last week i ran the stock can) and for track i use bridgestone or pirelli slicks. My supsension is still stock for the moment.
post #8 of 112 Old 02-17-2014, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I have done the 8mm shim in the rear that cured the understeer. It for sure needs the shorter gearing. I hesitate to do the gearing because it will be street ridden more than track. They tend to get a bit buzzy with shorter gearing. I have the Leo Vince slip on because of the sound restriction at our track I have to run it with the butt plug in. I will probably get the mid pipe and lose the cat since here in AZ they don't emission test motorcycles any more that should lose a few pounds. I guess I really should do the ECU reflash especially if it will give more midrange grunt. I can't say I was unhappy with the top end power the way it is. It was a missle down the straight but needs more midrange gunt to get off the corners better. I'm really hoping its the Bridgstone tires that are the major problem. I have been riding and doing track days on the Gen 1 for ten years since I bought it new in 04. That and q3 tires i'm sure makes for my comfort level on the Gen 1. I'm sure it comes down to more seat time on the Gen4 given I've had it almost two years and it only has 1100 miles on it. The Gen1 feels like a 600 with a sick motor in it. The Gen4 feels like a big liter bike. Next step q3s and then we will go from there.
post #9 of 112 Old 02-17-2014, 09:53 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechX View Post
I have done the 8mm shim in the rear that cured the understeer. It for sure needs the shorter gearing. I hesitate to do the gearing because it will be street ridden more than track. They tend to get a bit buzzy with shorter gearing. I have the Leo Vince slip on because of the sound restriction at our track I have to run it with the butt plug in. I will probably get the mid pipe and lose the cat since here in AZ they don't emission test motorcycles any more that should lose a few pounds. I guess I really should do the ECU reflash especially if it will give more midrange grunt. I can't say I was unhappy with the top end power the way it is. It was a missle down the straight but needs more midrange gunt to get off the corners better. I'm really hoping its the Bridgstone tires that are the major problem. I have been riding and doing track days on the Gen 1 for ten years since I bought it new in 04. That and q3 tires i'm sure makes for my comfort level on the Gen 1. I'm sure it comes down to more seat time on the Gen4 given I've had it almost two years and it only has 1100 miles on it. The Gen1 feels like a 600 with a sick motor in it. The Gen4 feels like a big liter bike. Next step q3s and then we will go from there.

If you get Don Guhl to flash it he will do away with the factory USA EPA limits. Give you about 600 higher redline. Advance the timing and add fuel to make probably another 18 to20 h/p. you will also need a PCV or Bazaz to remap it so it will not be as lean in certain rpm levels. Do that and you will REALLY like it. BTW the regearing will not be an issue on the street but it will accelerate much better. The ECU even adjusts the speedo because the speed is based on the wheel sensors tied into the traction control. They come from the factory geared away too high in order to meet federal noise standards in the USA. The day I bought mine I actually stalled in in the parking lot because I wasn't used to such high gearing. I thought I took off in second gear LOL. The bike was a dog compared to what it is now with the gearing change and ECU flash. It is WELL worth the money spent. This bike has an additional 20+ H/P in it just waiting to be released. Do those mods and it will scare you at first if you are used to the stock bike. LOL.

Speedy
post #10 of 112 Old 02-17-2014, 10:03 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy14 View Post
Do those mods and it will scare you at first if you are used to the stock bike. LOL.

Speedy
Sorry just had to chime in in the Scared bike part ......I don't think Tech will Scare easy owning the Widowmaker unstable untamed for 10yrs.....there's a difference between all out acceleration and down right untamed abruptness and other fun factors..... just saying

Bloo

Sent from My Computer via DSL mid to low service Firefox updated version, sometimes wireless sometimes Wire from the garage depending on connection speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in