Crappy weekend in Finland! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 07-03-2007, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to Macke
Thumbs down Crappy weekend in Finland!

Just back from one of my worst ever races...

We travelled to Finland for my first ever Superbike race in the Scandinavian Open Championships with the goal of a top 20 finnish, and to shed some major time off my personal best at the Alastaro racetrack.

Arrived on thursday night and started to unpack everything. We were done by about 10 o clock and managed to take a walk around the track before bedtime.

Friday, FP's
First practise session on friday and the track was wet. Did the whole session on raintyres, and towards the end you could see a dryline at some places on the track. But not dry enough for intermediates.
The session felt good, and the bike felt pretty good aswell. It was actually my first session with the new bike in the wet, and we used tha same setup on the bike as we had on the last race. I managed to pass several riders that usually are a lot faster than me. But I'm always pretty good on the wet...

Second sesion, and it had dried up a bit. First dry session since we were here last year, and it felt like crap. Didn't find any lines or brakingpoints, and I was all over the place. Did a 1.29.273 as my best time, a whopping 3.5s slower than my best time last year... WTF!!!

Drowned my sorrows in some BBQ steaks in the evening trying to figure out what was wrong with me...

Saturday, and QP's
Woke up in the morning with a slight fever, and a heavy cold. Crap!!!
Ok, so we only had one dry session since we were here last year. New bike and a crappy rider...

Went out and pushed as hard as I could. It actually felt pretty good, but the pitboard told a different story. Went in for some fluids and a quick rest, and then out again. Felt better, and I managed to do dome solid laps. But still only a couple of low 1.29's as my best time. And I was in last place after QP1.
Man, these Finnish riders know this track like the back of their hands...

Between sessions, we had a little crisis meeting and tried to figure out what was wrong. Came up with somw different lines, a different gearing, but left the setup pf the bike unchanged since that wasn't the problem.

On QP2 it felt better, and I managed to improve slightly. But I still felt very off, and unfocused.

On the second stint I had a close call in the extremely fast righthander at the back of the track (~140mph knee down and a blind exit).
As I dove into the corner, a finnish rider tried to pass me on the inside where there were absolutley no room. We came in contact, and he pushed me outside of my line, and I drifted out on the grass.
Managed to hold on (130 mph on the damp grass with slicks) and eventually got the bike up on the track again...
Holy crap.... that was close...
Descided that the session was over with 4 minutes to go, and called it a day... Pheeew....

Did a 1.28.125 and cut about another second off my first session. Was in 25th that session, but 27th overall.... The result was OK, but I was still alot behind from last years times, and that made me furious...

We descided to make some changes to the bike for the sunday morning warmup. I wanted the bike to turn in faster in the qick corners so we changed the rideheight both front and rear, and also adjusted the preload in front to compensate for the increased load infront. We just had to cross aour fingers that the new geometry would'nt give us headshake problems.
Also went with a different fron tyre.
We had to try something....

In the evening there were once again some BBQ and a beer.
Well I had one, the mechanics emptied like 2 cases..

Went to bed early as I still wasn't feeling too good. Still had a fever, and my throat was killing me.

Sunday, raceday
Woke up like 10 times during the night adn heard the rain coming down on the roof of the bus. When the alarm went off and it was time to get up the rain had stopped, but the track was still soaked. So the warmup session was ruined. Went out with about 10 minutes to go on slicks when there was a dry line., but couldn't pusch hard enough to really test the new settings. But we descided to use them for the race anyway.

We didn't have any models for the gridshow, so Jonas the mechanic had to play dressup... LOL
After 20 minutes on the starting grid I was really anxious to get the race on the way...

As the light went off I got a really good clutchrelease, and made a perfect start. Overtook about 6 guys in the start, and a couple of more in turn one.
And during braking in turn two I got two more, and I was somewhere around 17th going into turn 3. I couldn't belieave it since the start always have been my weakest point. Sweeet...
Lost a couple of places in the highspeed right hander, and a couple of more in the hairpin after that. Tried to push hard to stay with the faster guys. Some of them behind me now had qualified like 3 seconds faster than me, and it was just a matter of time before they were going to pass me...

After 5 laps we were down to 26th, and fighting with a group of 3 riders. The pace felt pretty good, and didn't have to push really hard to stay with them. But then I hit neutral going out of the hairpin when changing from 1st to 2nd. Damnit... And the lap after that, the same thing. I lost contact with the group, and pusched as har as I could to make it up. But I kept loosing 0.4, then gaining 0.5, och losing the next lap amd so on.

With 5 laps to go I just gave up. I was in "no mans land" and slowed the pace down to secure a finnish... Din't want to end this miserable weekend with a silly crasch from 22nd place...

Managed to bring it home in 22'nd, and was miserable after the race...
The position is pretty much OK, it's somwhere around what I expected. The competition in the Scandinavian Open Superbike Champs is stiff, and when you come to think of it, there were only 21 guys that were faster than me... Which is pretty cool...
But I still haven't improved on my times from last year. Actually I was 1.5s slower, which is a disaster.

But we will take the positive things with us from this weekend. We made some really good work on the bike in a short ammount of time. And I made a impressive start, and a good first couple of laps which have been my weakest point so far.

Next race is a Swedish Champs race, and this time I will get that top-20 position....

Pictures will follow...

If you can't race fast, atleast you can look fast...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-03-2007, 09:12 AM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

Sounds like you should have stayed in bed, also the track may have been slower this time with all the rain making it green.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-03-2007, 09:14 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

nice write up, sorry about the misfortune, ya live and ya learn. Honestly I would think you being sick had to do alot with your performance. 22nd aint bad, but its not what your goal was so I know thats hard...

Good luck on your next race, and pics please

old man ran off on his wheelchair

theazzman.com (my blog)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Thats a pretty good performance considering how you were feeling.

Better luck next time!.

Black and Green 05 ZX10R - Race Bike
post #5 of 13 Old 07-03-2007, 07:49 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I would put it down to being sick and not feel too badly about it. After all, you were only two spots from your goal before the race. Good to bring it back in one piece.

Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-04-2007, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Ok, so here are som pics from the crappy weekend...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6851k copy.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	38413   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7577k copy.JPG
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	38414   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8622k copy.jpg
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	38416  

post #7 of 13 Old 07-04-2007, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

...some more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8660k copy.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	38422   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8824k copy.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	38423   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8825k copy.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	38424  

post #8 of 13 Old 07-04-2007, 01:54 AM
Funshine Bear

Location: Back on the road again. Auto club speedway is my new home.
Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to minichevy
Great looking bike. Better luck next race.

If you ain't first, your last!
Thats a registered trade mark of Rick Bobby INC.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-04-2007, 10:03 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Cool pics. Thanks for sharing. You will do better next time out.

Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-04-2007, 10:18 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Good effort ...you'll do better next round...

The good thing is you do have a crew.....here in SoCal all of us wannabe

racers or (already)racing at the club level are one man band.

Also the bottom line is any racing weekend (specially far from home)

WITHOUT a trip to the ER is GOOD.

'06 green ZX-10R Race / '05 orangina ZX-10R track

Wera West Expert #95

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in