CCS Race Report-June 6-9,10 Blackhawk!!! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 101 Old 06-14-2007, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Yankee Racer

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to zx10ragentblack
CCS Race Report-June 6-9,10 Blackhawk!!!

www.blackhawkfarms.com
www.ccsracing.com

Ok so after missing the 3rd round of the Midwest Championship at Mid-America due to being broke the 4th round at Blackhawk Farms in South Beloit, IL was next on the schedule.

Arrived at the track around noon on Friday to get some practice sessions in and ended up doing 3 sessions and getting consistent lap times in mid 13's and a few low 13's. Last time at Blackhawk Farms on May 12-13th my best lap time was a 1:13.5 so it was good to see I had improved them a bit.
Went out to eat with a few fellow racers and just relaxed before the first raceday of the weekend.

Saturday
Weather was perfect. Highs around 80 and a nice little breeze. Only had one race today and that was the 25 minute GTO race. Went out in practice to shake things down and felt pretty good.

GTO Race#1 (25 minutes)
I had a decent grid position in the 2nd row and started 7th out of a grid of around 20. I got a decent start off the line and went into T1 in 6th position. Made a pass going into 5th the following lap. Wasn't able to keep up with the lead pack for more than 7 laps and got passed around lap 8 by one of the better racers Dan Doty as he had a bad start and worse grid position. After that I rode in a lonely 6th place with no one anywhere close to me behind me and the gap in front to large to push. Took a 6th place finish but felt pretty good with how I rode but upset I died off towards the end of the race. Ran a best of a 1:12.9 so that was good but my times could have been more consistent.

Sunday
Another awesome day as far as the weather. Partly sunny and a little warm but the clouds kept things bearable. Went out for one morning practice and felt ok. Put on a new set of rubber for Unlim. Superbike as I was currently in the lead overall in points in that class.

Unlim. Superbike Race#2 (8 laps)
Was gridded on the front row in P4 and I got a solid start off the line and should have been in 2nd into T1 but hit a false nuetral into T1 and had to back off while I hit it into the next gear and ended up in 4th through the firts corner. I was able to hang with the lead 3 for 4 laps and never lost site of them. I had a great battle for 4th with Super Dave Rosno. With the white flag lap waiving I was in 4th place for the last lap. Up in front I could see one of the Experts going down into T3 so I knew I had 3rd place if I could hold off Dave. He jammed it up on the inside of me into the "Bus Stop" but I stayed right behing him ready to set him up for the last corner.

I was right on his back wheel going into the final corner and hammered the throttle to go onto the front straight and passed him well before the line to take 3rd place. It was a fun race and very exciting no doubt. It was great to be on the podium again and my best time was a 1:12.7 with consistent times in the high 12's low 13's so that was good to see as well.

Unlim. GP Race#3-Money Race-(8 lap)
Gridded in row #2 in 7th position of this very competitive GP money race it was going to be a fun one. I got a good start and was in 6th place right behind Super Dave. I was able to keep with the the leaders and got by Dave after the second lap for 5th position. Never could pull in the lead 4 but never really lost site of them and I felt I rode very well for a 5th place finish with (for those who know them) Dan Doty, Brian Hall, Tom Girard, and Jason Temme the 4 in front of me. Lap times were once again in the high 12's low 13's which was not bad as the tires were starting to go off a bit at the end of the race.

Unlim. Supersport Race#4-(8 lap)
A small grid and I was on the second row yet again in P5. On tires from the GTO race with around 22 race laps I knew this race could get a little hairy towards the end. Got off the line good and was in P4 through the first corner. Pushed hard to stay with the lead 3 but the lead 2 pulled away and Girard in 3rd had a decent gap. With 3 laps to go I started to see Girard as I was pulling him back in. With two laps to go I could smell blood and was pulling him in fast.

As the white flag waived he looked back and saw that I was gaining and stepped it up. I really pushed hard and nearly highsided though T3b. Down the back straight I pulled on him and new I had him going into the last corner or so I though. I got on the gas hard out of the exit and started getting a little shake and shifted into 3rd and was pulling him and then when I tried to shift into 4th it stuck in third and when I finally got it jammed into 4th and went across the line I finished 4th by only 2'.

Boy did that suck. I had him easy and had I made the shift would have been in 3rd by a couple bike lengths easy. Oh well what can you do. It was a fun race no doubt and good to see that I could run a few fast guys down. Had my best lap time with tires that were sliding around like crazy but still very controlled (thanks to the Pirelli's). Ran a 1:12.5 and was very consistent with my times as well. I learned how important good starts were and even more so how important it is to run you first lap as hard or harder than any lap.
I also learned that the faster you get the more racing costs. I could now easily see how a new set of rubber for each race would make a good difference.

I have to thank Indy Superbike for their contiunued support as well as Komodo for their awesome suit that takes the fear of crashing away as it instills confidence that you will stay protected even after a get off.

Also a shout out to all my fellow racers/friends that we pitted next to for all the help and for making it feel like a family.
Also to a few members here as well, avdigigeek for his help and congrats on his finishes as well. Also to Corners and Gilberts for coming out to watch and support. And to the whole forum in general for the continued support and help in many areas.
Thank You,
JJ Maule

No pictures yet but will post some up once I get them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 101 Old 06-14-2007, 10:25 AM
talker of shite

Posting Frequency

On the podium again bud, keep it up nice to see some talk about real racing & not that moto gp crap

Has anyone seen my marbles ?
post #3 of 101 Old 06-14-2007, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Yankee Racer

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno22 View Post
On the podium again bud, keep it up nice to see some talk about real racing & not that moto gp crap
lol for sure Danno and thanks. Should have had two podiums but oh well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 101 Old 06-14-2007, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Yankee Racer

Posting Frequency

Should have had two....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3rdplacebhf.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	37125  
post #5 of 101 Old 06-14-2007, 10:51 AM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

Good job JJ
post #6 of 101 Old 06-14-2007, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Yankee Racer

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAF View Post
Good job JJ
Thanks FAF
post #7 of 101 Old 06-14-2007, 10:56 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

good job JJ! sorry i couldn't make it!!
post #8 of 101 Old 06-14-2007, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Yankee Racer

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebo7 View Post
good job JJ! sorry i couldn't make it!!

Thanks Henry. No problem man just glad your mom is going to be ok.
post #9 of 101 Old 06-14-2007, 11:31 AM

Posting Frequency

Good Job JJ, nice write up

How many laps do you get on the slicks? Is your shifter setup GP style? Thanks.
post #10 of 101 Old 06-14-2007, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Yankee Racer

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0phet00 View Post
Good Job JJ, nice write up

How many laps do you get on the slicks? Is your shifter setup GP style? Thanks.
Thanks pr0phet00
Well they arent slicks for one they are the DOT Pirelli Supercorsa Pro (the new ones) and are awesome for sure. I would say 20 laps or so at race pace is about right. However I also use them for trackdays afterwards and get a decent amount of laps doing that or sell them as takeoffs. Yes I have a GP shift pattern and a quickshifter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in