Autobahn North August 11th - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 08-12-2007, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Accountant in training.

Posting Frequency

Cool Autobahn North August 11th

Had my 1st ever track day yesterday. It was awesome. I can see why you guys call them 'crack days'

Long day...

Alarm goes off at 5 am. Shower, pack a few things and on the road by 5:50. In the fog.... Got to Autobahn at 7:10. Picked up my rented leathers (1st set was too short), and got the bike prepped. Rode the 10 there by the way... Wife drove the car with everything that I might need plus a few extra things. Had a riders meeting. And then being in the Novice group it was off to the class room for some instruction.

1st couple on track sessions were very slow and kind of boring. Hard to concentrate when we are only going 40-45 mph around the track. But it was a chance to learn the track and pick out some reference points for later on.

By the 3rd session, the pace was getting pretty good. Still a little slow, but fast enough that I had to focus. The 3rd and 4th sessions were '1 gear no brakes' sessions. First time I tried 3rd gear, but a couple of the corners were too slow for 3rd. 4th session, I was running the whole lap in 2nd. That was the ticket.

And then the last 4 sessions were taking turns leading the group, and the instructor would pass and use body language to tell you what you were doing wrong. By the end of the day, I was bumped up to a faster group with in the Novice group.

Here are some pics. The guy on the green ZX-10R had several off track excursions. Didn't lay it down, but really didn't seem to grasp what was going on. He was turning in way too early most of the time that I was behind him. And then would run wide on the exit... One of his off track experiences, he didn't even try to make turn 1. We were passing some slower riders down the front straight at 120 mph or so, he put the brakes on (mostly rear brake? ) and just went straight. For about .2 seconds, I was target fixated on him and was following him to the gravel. I thought WTF, spun my head to the left and banked it into turn 1 at 75 mph or so. Look where you want to go...

Shot some video also. But haven't had a chance to look at it.

Made it home by 8:30. Long day. Tons of fun.

Lastly, the Dunlop Qualifiers held up great at my pace for 80-90 laps. Ran both the front and rears right to the edge.

Maybe next year I'll try and go to Road America so I can get the bike out of 3rd gear.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3281 (2).jpg
Views:	74
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	41908   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3285 (2).jpg
Views:	74
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	41909   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3286 (2).jpg
Views:	76
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	41910   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3288 (2).jpg
Views:	73
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	41911   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3289 (2).jpg
Views:	71
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	41912  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-12-2007, 11:06 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Awesome and congrats on your great day at the track. Post that vid as soon as you can.

http://www.racemph.com/

Heavenly Father, thank you for your Word which is the Truth that sets me free. Give me strength to separate myself from anything that does not honor You. In Jesus Name. Amen.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-15-2007, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Accountant in training.

Posting Frequency

Thanks MJG.

The video wasn't quite as interesting as I'd hoped....:headshake If I can get the interesting parts together, maybe I'll put it on youtube or something so people can watch.

Here are a couple (ok, a few) pics that were taken by DVK Photography. Prices are a little steep, but I'll probably get a couple of them. The CD with all the pics of me might be the best deal. Get the ones that I like plus all the rest.

Following the instructor

Here is a good one of the guy on the green ZX-10. Looks like he is about to clean someone out.

Too bad most of the pics of me online have me so close to vertical. I leaned it over pretty far every chance that I got.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in