AFM 2015 Race Season Reports - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old 03-25-2015, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Always On Mod

Posting Frequency

AFM 2015 Race Season Reports

This is my second season racing, first full season, and first as an expert. I will continue to update this thread with race reports as the season progresses.

Round 1 Buttonwillow Raceway March 21-22

The weekend was filled with awesome moments, and I had to write them down so I wouldn't forget. Each race was a story on it's own.

Huge thanks to the 450 Superbike crew, Mike at Rider's Discount, Vortex, CTRacing Pirelli Tires, The Right Stuff, Serious R&D, W Standard, and The Motor Cafe for all the help.

My first time racing at Buttonwillow was interesting. The track was in much better shape after the repave than the last time I rode there in 2013. I drove down Friday for the open test day to get some practice on the newly prepared GSXR450 which I’ve previously never raced, and also to get reacquainted with the track. I’ve always liked Buttonwillow and I quickly felt comfortable again. I practiced most of the day on the 450 to increase my confidence, but I took the zx-10 out to stretch its legs a bit. My plan was to learn to carry more corner speed and pick up the throttle sooner on the 450 and then translate it to the 10R. This seemed to work fairly well for me, but I didn’t have any lap times from the day.
Saturday practice started a little late due to some challenges with registration, but it all got worked out and I got 2 sessions on the 450 and 2 on the zx-10. Practice times on the 450 were in the 2:02 range, and 1:55 for the zx-10. Watching races for the rest of Saturday was fun, but I kind of missed having an afternoon race.
Sunday; race day; six races are on the schedule with 2 on the 450 and 4 on the 10R.
Race 1
The day started with a 450 Superbike race. My grid position was 4th far outside spot. I got a pretty horrible launch and got pushed back into the pack. Through first lap I worked my way up to 8th, and then made a pass into 7th during the 2nd lap to fall in behind Greg, a fellow 450 triple racer. I passed Greg coming into Phil Hill, a blind right hand hill, but showed him my cards too early. He motored past me down the front straight to retake the position, but we had a race on our hands. At the end of the 5th lap I passed him on the brakes into Sunset and tried to keep him behind me down the front straight but he motored past me again. In the final lap I got a good drive out of Riverside and tried to make a pass up the inside into Phil Hill again, but it was too close and I backed out. I didn’t have another chance for a pass and I finished in 7th.

Race 2
My next race, Open Production, was immediately afterward, so I hurried around the cool down lap and traded bikes in the pits, but didn’t make it out in time for the warmup lap. This meant I had to just take my position on the grid with tires and suspension not quite up to operating temp just yet. I was gridded in the 5th and last row, just before the Novices. The green flag dropped and I got a pretty slow start which resulted in being dropped back into the pack again. Not what I wanted, so I had some work in front of me. I was sliding coming through the first few corners, so I had to wait to make some passes until at least the second lap. I had a group of 3 riders in front of me, and I knew I could go faster. I felt a good amount of grip near the end of the first lap and started making moves, but got caught out on the brakes and ran wide into the dirt. Great, even more work to do. In the 3rd lap I moved into 10th place, and then 9th place in the 4th lap, 8th place in the 5th lap with a 1:51.9 lap time, and on the final 6th lap I caught another rider and set up for a pass out of sunset down the front straight. Luckily he turned to look back and that gave me the little bit I needed to get the drive around him and take 7th place by 0.019 sec.
Here's the video of the first lap, until my camera mount let go: https://youtu.be/AKdx4jiEfyg
I used The Right Stuff Advanced Hydration packets and had no issues with cramping or fatigue during 2 back to back races. My fitness level is at the same place it was last year and where before I was wore out after the race, now I feel great and don’t have cramps creeping up. I’ll be interested to see how well it performs as the temps increase over the summer, but so far I’m seeing great results.
Race 3
I had a 20 min break before my next race which was Open GP. The fast guys use this race as a warmup before Formula Pacific, so the competition was going to be fast. I started from the back of the grid again and finished the first lap in 14th. I made a pass to move up a place each of the next three laps and got behind a racer who I’d targeted as a goal to try and catch. I made a pass on the brakes late into Phil Hill and made it stick, finishing in 10th place. My best lap was a 1:53.2.

I took advantage of the lunch break to grab some nutrients and hydration to gear up for another back to back of Formula 4 and Formula Pacific. I learned that I could put my transponder in the pocket and it would still signal, so that would save time on the switch-over and give me a warmup lap.
Race 4
I got a much better start in Formula 4 and moved into 8th place. I battled with an SV650 all race long, but every time I would make a pass, he would come by me down the front straight. There were a lot of corners that I could carry more speed, but he could brake deeper while staying in the racing line and use the torque of the SV to get back up to speed. It was a fun race, and I dropped down to a 2:00.9, my fastest time of the weekend on the 450 triple. I was dragging hard parts through a lot of corners, and I need to raise the bike up before next round to give more ground clearance. I made sure to hustle through the cool down lap to make the switch to the zx-10 for Formula Pacific.
Race 5
I got a decent start and pushed my way through into 18th of 23. I had 2 riders in front of me and felt like I could go faster. On the third lap I got a good drive into Riverside and went for a pass around the outside, near the exit of the corner the camber starts to flatten out and about that point I pushed the front end and low sided. I slid on my back until I hit the dirt and then tumbled a few times but was uninjured. The bike caught the curb or the dirt and flipped 10+ ft in the air. Luckily it landed on the wheels and the damage was pretty minor all things considered. I didn't try to fix the bike before the Open Superbike race and packed things up to head home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rd1 FP crash.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	315673   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150322-IMG_2483_small.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	316641   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150322-_DSC5349_small.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	316649  
or10r likes this.

Fast parts, Great Service: PM Mike at Rider's Discount

Last edited by Animal11; 05-04-2015 at 11:29 AM. Reason: added some pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 03-25-2015, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Always On Mod

Posting Frequency

Round 2: Sonoma Raceway May 2-3

I'll update this post with pictures and more info when i get them this week.

Big Thanks to The Motor Cafe in Sunnyvale, Mike at Rider's Discount, W Standard USA, Vortex, Pirelli Tires, CT Racing, The Right Stuff, Serious RnD, Huffman's Welding Works, and the zx-10r.net family

This was my first time ever racing at Sonoma, and Saturday was my 3rd day ever at the track. Sonoma is known as a technical track, and my expectations going in were that I could learn the track and get up to speed relatively easily. I was proven wrong to a degree. I was able to get going relatively quickly, but not fast enough to hang with the experts that I ran with at Buttonwillow. I decided a couple weeks ago that I was going to learn this track by brute force, so I scheduled 2 races on Saturday, and 6 on Sunday. Goal #1 for the weekend was: don't crash. When I found myself becoming frustrated about going slow or getting passed I forced myself to work on setting up earlier, keeping my eyes up, and not pushing harder to keep up.

Sat Race 1 Clubman Heavy: gridded 3rd row, worked my way into 4th off the start, watched the first 3 and waited. P1 ran off at one point, then rejoined and I followed him past 2nd, and 3rd, so we were running 1-2, then set him up for the final lap and passed in a spot I knew I was faster to take the win. Technically I don't score any points because this is supposed to be a novice race and I'm an expert, but it was still fun to win my first race at Sonoma.

Sat Race 2 Clubman Light: gridded 3rd row again, battled with some SV650's all race and ended in 5th

Sun Race 3 650 Pro: finished in 6th

Sun Race 5 Open GP: finished in 16th and ran my fastest lap of the weekend

Sun Race 7 Open Superbike: no official results yet, but i finished somewhere around 15th

Sun Race 8 Formula 4: no official results yet, but i finished around 7-8th. I found some time on the 450 after jumping off the zx-10, and was able to battle further up the pack. I started to fade near the end of the race though as my calves and forearms were on fire. My fitness is not where it needs to be and Sonoma is a physically demanding track. So many bikes piling into T2 is a blast!!

Sun Race 11 Open Production: finished 7th of 9, because 2 DNF's. I was running around 1:51-1:52 lap times and my competition is running 1:47-1:44. The need for more seat time, video of my riding, and laptime data was planted firmly into my mind and future plans during this race.

Sun Race 13 450SB: finished in 6th, but was feeling better on the bike and running 1:55's. The guys up front were running 1:50-1:52's so I have some gains to make here as well, but not as dramatic as on the zx-10
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150503-_DSC1714 - small.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	322465   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150503-_DSC3900 - Small.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	322473   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150503-_DSC2407-small.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	780.1 KB
ID:	322481  

Last edited by Animal11; 05-09-2015 at 12:59 AM.
post #3 of 40 Old 03-25-2015, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Always On Mod

Posting Frequency

Round 3: Thunderhill Raceway May 30-31

A story to start, with more details to follow throughout the week.

TL/DR: My clutch lever free-play changes a lot with temperature. I ran 1:59's on an egg shaped rear wheel, Pirelli slicks are awesome and give enough grip and feedback to run 1:57's for a 6 lap race with 60 psi in the tire. I need a pit helper

Photo credits to Oxymoron Photography

Big thanks to my sponsors: The Motor Cafe, Rider's Discount, W Standard USA, VORTEX, Serious R&D, CT Racing, Replay XD, The Right Stuff

Friday I did the trackday for practice and planned to only ride the 10 to work on comfort and familiarity with my learning from the RICK day. That worked until the afternoon when I started to get the engine spinning up without going faster going up the hill to T9 in 4th gear. I thought for sure my clutch was toast, so I switched to the 450 for the last 2 sessions and planned to practice on Saturday the same, saving the clutch for Sunday race and hopefully races. Saturday morning I was asking some fellow racers about spare clutches, and was asked about lever free-play. Turns out I had none, so I adjusted the clutch, and the bike was back to full strength. I ran practice session 4 and started getting some bad chatter that I felt in the handle bars when I dropped to 1:59 lap times. I went to a suspension guy and we changed some settings to stiffen up the rear and soften the front to make the bike more balanced, that helped a little, but the chatter was still there as soon as I got below 2:00. A fellow racer came in off the track behind me and commented on the bike through turn 3 where i was feeling the most chatter, "dude your rear was chattering so bad it looked like a basketball. I thought for sure you were gonna crash." uh, oh. we tried a couple more changes, but it was still there. We loosened everything in the front end and reset it, and I went out for a warmup lap before the novice races, but the chatter was still there. I was convinced at this point that the bike was bent from the Buttonwillow crash and I needed to get it measured. I confirmed that Gerry from GP Frame and Wheel was coming up in the morning, so I let sleeping dogs lie. When Gerry showed up we talked about it and he immediately asked if the wheels were bent. I spun the rear wheel, standing behind the bike and it looked like it was tracking straight. Gerry was beside the bike and he says, "holy shit, look at how bent that is!" looking at it from the side the rim was moving 2-3mm. I borrowed a rear wheel and scrambled to get my Pirelli slick mounted. I got the wheel back on the bike and my warmer on before I had to go out for Race 3: 450 SB. Race 4 was back to back, so I swapped bikes to the 10 and went out for the warmup lap for Open Prod. I felt a ton of high speed vibration in the bars, but it seemed to go away as I picked up the pace, so I decided to race. I got into a good battle with a guy for 7th, but was sliding the rear on almost every corner exit. The last lap, final corner I pushed wide and had to back off to stay on track, and ended up getting pipped at the line by a wheel. After the race I looked at my tire and it was melting. Turns out I forgot to set the pressure after getting the tire mounted so I was running 60psi. I was also having trouble getting the bike to steer with neutral throttle, so I took some preload and compression out of the front that we had dialed in trying to solve the chatter. That helped and I got back down into the 56's, which is where I got down to last year. I felt like I wasn't on the edge, though now and I'm in a good place to start dropping some seconds from my times. The used GPS lap timer I picked up should help get me started with some data to figure out where I can make up some time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	small_DSC9069.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	329081   Click image for larger version

Name:	small_DSC8557.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	329089   Click image for larger version

Name:	small IMG_0911.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	329097   Click image for larger version

Name:	small 20150531-_DSC6922.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	329105  

Last edited by Animal11; 06-16-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 03-25-2015, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Always On Mod

Posting Frequency

Round 4: Thunderhill Raceway June 20-21

Thank you to The Motor Café, WStandardUSA, Barry Wressel at KFG, Oxymoron Photography, 4theriders, CT Racing, The Right Stuff, Serious RnD, Riders Discount, ReplayXD, and Vortex Racing. Without everyone’s support this season wouldn’t be possible.

TL;DR It was a hot weekend at Thunderhill with ambient temperatures between 95 and 100. The Right Stuff kept me hydrated and cramp free all weekend. I was able to set personal best times with both the ZX-10R and the GSXR450.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTvkH_ni5HY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRrW5C1Mznk

Race 3: 650 Prod – I got a poor start, surprise surprise, and dropped into last place. I passed 4 riders in turn 1, then passed 3 more through turn 3. I battled with a couple fast novices on SV’s and Max on his newly created R4. It was a fun race, and I worked on passing on the brakes into T14 a lot. I finished the race in 7th place. During Saturday practice I found the same problem as last round where the bike was wallowing in the corners, especially on the throttle. I talked with Dave Moss who suggested changing the geometry, so I talked to Barry of KFG. Barry suggested changing from the 180/55 SC2 to the 180/60 SC1 rear, which I did. He also noted that the bike was probably sprung for a 160 lb rider, and I weigh 200. That we couldn’t change immediately, but there were some changes he could do to make it better. The bike also needed some help with the geometry by moving the forks down in the triple clamps and adding an additional shim to the rear shock. I had made some changes after running into clearance issues at Buttonwillow, but I hadn’t moved things enough. Barry dropped the forks further, shimmed the rear, and changed the rebound and compression settings to match. The result was a bike that I could ride 2 sec faster than before dropping my lap times to 2:02 from 2:04.
Race 5: Open GP – My start wasn’t horrible but I felt like I was getting held up through T2, so I drove off the exit for an inside pass into 3 and found another rider there. I had to check up on the brakes hard, and then ran wide and into the dirt. I kept it up, but dropped back to dead last. Fortunately for me another rider crashed and required medical attention and so the race was red flagged. I never want to see another rider crash and wish them a speedy recovery. The restart went smoother and I was able to fight for higher positions. On the 2nd to last lap, Jordan showed me a wheel into 10, but I held him off. On the final lap I was too slow over 9, left the exit line open, and that was enough to let him by. I tried to fight back into 14 but wasn’t close enough and finished behind him in 8th place. My lap times dropped in the 1:53’s which is 4 sec faster than my lap times from last round.

Race 7: Open SB – Battled with Joy all race for 6th place. I’d pass her into 10, she’d get me in 11. I’d pass her into 14, she’d get me down the straight. On the final lap I passed her into 14, but she got me down the front straight at the line. I finished in 7th place.
Race 8: F4 – Dave Moss, one of the fastest riders in the class, started somewhere next to me or behind me, but I followed him through traffic in turn 2 and turn 3 to pass a bunch of riders, but then didn’t maintain the same pace. I ended up battling with an SV for a few laps, but finally got the better of him and finished the race in 8th place by 0.064 sec.
Race 11: Open Prod – After lending my bike to another racer for the Formula Pacific race, we talked about some of the challenges with the bike. In particular, the front end under heavy braking into a corner will chatter and push wide. What I was told is that the rebound was too stiff, and the spring rate is too high. We took 2 turns of rebound out of the front forks and I went racing. I got a pretty good start and settled into 6th place behind Jordan Edgington. He was chasing another rider and testing him on a few corners until finally making the pass. Now it was my turn to find a way through. While trying to keep up with Jordan, the rider in front of me low sided in turn 9, so I inherited 5th place. Another rider in the front of the pack crashed in turn 11, so now I was in 4th. Jordan had caught 2nd place and was looking for a way past. I put my head down and was putting myself in a position to take advantage of any opportunity I found to get by both riders. On lap 5 we caught slower traffic from the wave before us, and I got held up just a little bit more than 2nd and 3rd place. Jordan had made the pass on the same lap, so both 2nd and 3rd dropped their lap times, while I got held up giving them a 1 sec gap. I continued to push to try and catch up and ended up finishing in 4th place. I set my personal best lap times in this final race at 1:53.09 about 4 seconds faster than I was last round.
Race 13: 450SB – Dave Moss got a poor start again, which gave me the opportunity to tuck onto his back wheel and follow him through traffic in 2 and then around the outside of 3 into 4. The pass on another racer into 4 was really close up the inside and I got really lucky we didn’t come together. It was too aggressive of a move and I will think better of it the next time. Out of turn 5 and through turn 6 I was on Moss’s rear wheel, but he had me on motor and gapped me into 9. I hung on to the lead pack as much as I could but they slowly started to edge away. I ended the race in 5th, still keeping the lead pack in sight. A few more HP on the gsxr and I could probably drop 2-3 more sec per lap.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SMALL_DSC3831.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	330314   Click image for larger version

Name:	SMALL IMG_7157.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	330322   Click image for larger version

Name:	SMALL IMG_6201.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	330330  

Last edited by Animal11; 06-25-2015 at 11:31 PM.
post #5 of 40 Old 03-25-2015, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Always On Mod

Posting Frequency

Round 5: Sonoma Raceway September 5-6

Had to miss this round for a family reunion.

Last edited by Animal11; 10-06-2015 at 01:15 AM.
post #6 of 40 Old 03-25-2015, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Always On Mod

Posting Frequency

Round 6: Thunderhill Raceway October 3-4

Thank you to The Motor Café, WStandardUSA, Dave Moss Tuning, Barry Wressel at KFG, Oxymoron Photography, 4theriders, CT Racing, The Right Stuff, Serious RnD, Riders Discount, ReplayXD, Vortex Racing, and AGVSport.

I was excited to get back to racing after the almost 3 month break. The weekend started out with a practice day on Friday to dial in the new suspension on the 450 cripple. The morning temps were cool for Thunderhill at 70F, so it was a challenge chasing setup for the suspension and the temperature, but we got something reasonable.
Saturday was a practice day that I focused on the zx-10r. Riding on shagged tires all day I was sliding quite a bit, especially with adjusted TC settings to allow more slip. I was fighting midcorner speed and having to slow the bike more than I wanted to get direction. I made a couple small suspension adjustments and then put fresh Pirellis on. Add a tip from Ken Hill into the mix and things started to come together.

Sunday, race day. The wind was blowing giving some tricky conditions into a few corners. I wasn't feeling 100% in race 3 on the 450. Race 5, Open GP on the zx-10r, I was chasing Steve Metz and dropped down into the 53's again, but then started getting tired on lap 3. I could run 54's and 55's, but I fell back 2 more places before the end. Not so good. I ate some protein bars and drank a gallon of water for lunch, along with ibuprofen, but still had a slight headache. Race 7, Open SB I had a fun race and a good battle which had me full of adrenaline, but at the end I was feeling a little weak. I hustled through the cool down lap and jumped onto the 450 in the hot pit, and slammed half a liter of water with The Right Stuff. I used the warmup lap to continue to cool down and breath deep. Race 8 started and I found myself chasing another 450 in the midst of a couple sv650's. The SV's frustrate me because I catch them on the brakes and mid corner but they pass me in the straights. The 450 I was with gets me the same way. But, I made the best of it and dropped another second of my personal best time to a 2:00.78. By the end of race 8 I was fully energized and ready to go.
Race 11, Open Prod. Launch control and I still aren't the greatest of friends and i still don't get off the line very fast. I got shuffled into the back of the pack, and even had to fight back past a couple novices in T2, T4, and T6. By T7 I was lining up 6th and 7th and got one on the exit of T8 and one on the brakes into 9. Then I chased down Joy in 5th and made the pass on the brakes into 14. The new map I made with the Woolich auto tune gave the bike a couple more HP up top, and smoothed out the bottom end so I got a good enough drive down the front straight to stay ahead of Joy which doesn't usually happen. I could see Jose ahead as I was exiting turn 1 and ready to chase him down when he lowsided. I pushed on in 4th slowly catching Jordan, but not quickly enough. He picked up the pace when he got the signal I was closing the gap and I couldn't catch him. On the 5th lap, a new novice racer passed me into T10 on the brakes. I got him back into T14, but ran wide and he came back through. As we started the 6th and final lap I got a good drive out of T1 and went for the pass around the outside of 2. We were side by side on the exit and elbows touching into 3. I chickened out first and he took the line through 3. He rode a defensive line the rest of the lap and even though I showed him a wheel in 3 corners I couldn't get it done. I had one last plan to give him a little room in T14 and get a great drive through 15 and onto the front straight. We crossed the line side by side, him winning his class, and me finishing in 4th in mine.
I didn't improve on my best time on the 10, but I decreased my average by running more laps in the 54's and 53's.

Last edited by Animal11; 10-06-2015 at 10:18 AM.
post #7 of 40 Old 03-25-2015, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Always On Mod

Posting Frequency

Round 7: Buttonwillow Raceway October 24-25

https://youtu.be/ZsIAustQTN0
https://youtu.be/TL3KMnDjvDw

Reflections on Round 7 Buttonwillow October 25, 2015

Thank you to my sponsors Serious RnD, AGV, Sidi, Replay XD, W Standard, The Motor Café, Vortex, Riders Discount, The Right Stuff, CT Racing, and Pirelli Tires. Most of all I have to thank my wife for putting up with me eating, drinking, sleeping motorcycles for the past 8 months.

Race 3 – 450SB: I had a front row P4 grid spot, but my typical less-than-ideal start had me shuffled back into the pack and by the end of lap 1 I was in 7th. During lap 2, the racer in P4 crashed, and I made one pass which put me up 2 spots into 5th. The racer now in P4 showed a couple spots where I was quicker than him, so I set him up coming into Sunset, the last corner before the front straight, and made it past. He got a better drive down the straight and had the inside line going into turn 1, but I just stayed next to him around the outside and held the inside line into turn 2. Out of turn 2 I put my head down and was clear. I could see the front 3 but I wasn’t catching them at a fast rate. Near the end of lap 5, coming over Lost Hills, I thought I was catching the front pack slowly, so decided to push a little harder. That was a poor decision as I came through sunset, and lost the front over the bumps at the exit. The bike and I slid off and into the dirt in a cloud of mocking dust. Frustration was immediate with my stupid mistake. Luckily the bike started and would move, with only some minor damage. As the race ended, I rode back into the hot pits to jump onto the zx-10r for Open Production.

Race 4 – Open Prod: I had just crashed 3 minutes ago. Going from the 450 to the zx-01r requires a much more deft touch with the throttle and brakes. I did a couple back and forth through the hot pits controlling my breathing and reassuring my feel was smooth enough for the beast. During the warmup lap I felt calm and ready to ride.
I was gridded on the front row P3, and was looking forward to battling with Jose in P4. He was 4 points ahead in the championship and we’d had some good battles in previous rounds. I thought I saw him on my right as we started, and focused on smooth and quick with the launch. Through first gear I was pulling great with P1 and P2, my best start of the year. When I went to click into 2nd I hit neutral and the acceleration stopped. I clicked into 2nd, and then did a massive 12 o’clock wheelie, before setting it down and going into T1, dead last in expert, and 4-5 positions back in the novices. Through 2 and into 3 I got back past almost all the novices and was looking for a way forward. Into Riverside I had a pass set up around the outside but ran out of space, and had to get it done on the brakes up into Lost Hills. At the end of the first lap I was ready to move forward from 10th. On lap 2 I made the pass into 9th place, and then down the front straight I got a great drive and ended up going past 2 people into Turn 1 on the brakes. A crash from P3 in lap 4 gave me 5th position and I finished the race in 5th. The rider in first was DQ’d after the race and so 4th place was gifted to me.

Race 6 – Open GP: This race I made a much better start from 7th on the grid and only dropped back to 8th. Joy Higa was in front of me and we’ve had quite a few races this season with each other. I followed her for 4 laps looking for a pass and couldn’t complete one, no matter how many times I showed her a wheel. On the 6th and final lap I got a good run down the straight and made a pass into Turn 1. Into turn 2 we had to pass traffic from another wave, and I had to sacrifice my drive out of 2. Sure enough Joy came by into Turn 3. I stuck on her back wheel and saw she was running a defensive line. I had a plan to make a pass into Lost Hills, but she took an inside line so I took the fast line and got a good run heading toward the sweeper. I was able to slide underneath on the brakes and hold the position to the finish line. A crash from up front gave me 6th place.

Race 12 – Open SB: For this race I decided to test lightweight Marchesini wheels with Dunlop slicks and different suspension settings to match. The first lap I started kind of tentative to finish the season with everything intact. At the end of the first lap I was close behind Joy and Melissa Paris and managed to sneak by both into the final corner and stay ahead down the front straight. On lap 3 Joy came back past me and started to ease out a gap. I followed with what I could while still keeping a healthy safety margin. I felt like I was slowing down and the laps ticked by, trying to ride with less urgency and focusing on being smooth and using my eyes. After reviewing the lap times I did my fastest lap of the race on the last lap at 1:52.375, and the previous 3 were all at 1:52 also. I’m happy with the consistency and know some things I need to work on for next year.

Last edited by Animal11; 10-27-2015 at 02:16 PM.
post #8 of 40 Old 03-25-2015, 12:29 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Nice write up sounds like fun except for the crashing part. lol Hope your 10 is not badly damaged.
post #9 of 40 Old 03-25-2015, 02:50 PM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Awesome, awesome, awesome. Really good stuff minus the crash. Very excited for you man. Keep living the dream and best of luck to you.

post #10 of 40 Old 03-25-2015, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Always On Mod

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechX View Post
Nice write up sounds like fun except for the crashing part. lol Hope your 10 is not badly damaged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
Awesome, awesome, awesome. Really good stuff minus the crash. Very excited for you man. Keep living the dream and best of luck to you.
Thanks! I'm not a fan of crashing, but I'm definitely at a point where I need some better training. I'm a giant sponge ready to learn April 2nd with Rickdiculous Racing.

The 10 needs a new fairing stay, and the dash could be replaced. That's really it. The race plastics need some fiberglass repair and paint. The dash still functions, but the clip-ons gave it the one-two punch and smashed the plastic on top of the tach. I think I'm going to glue a new piece of polycarbonate over top and keep running it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in