Advice: Long time rider, 1st Time Track Day - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-08-2007, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Advice: Long time rider, 1st Time Track Day

Hello -

I've ridden for a long time and spent a lot of time carving up the great canyons here in SoCal. I'd say my riding level (in the canyons) is well above average given the results of some friendly jaunts through latigo, flores and Mulholland. The canyons were great fun, but a totally uncontrolled environemnt which is very dangerous as I learned the hard way earlier this year.

This spurred me into track riding and After reading a great thread started by hillcountry10r
" Thinking about a track day...READ THIS!"
https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12752

I went ahead and signed up for the FastTrackRiders Sept 29th California Speedway AMA track day.

As far as gear, I have all the important stuff from my days carving canyons and most of the gear is track not street gear so I am all set on that front. Looking at the list in hillcountry10R post I have most of everything I need except some personal advice on how to approach the day.

A few questions:

Track Surface at California Speedway? - When I went to laguna seca for MotoGP this year the track surface was extremely slippery and not as smooth as I would imagine a race track should be. In fact I'd say that the canyon roads I ride had more grip than the track at Laguna. How does the speedway compare in terms of smoothness (bumbs, cracks, etc) and traction?

FastTrackRiders? - Has anyone ridden with this track day Org before? I have read several good reports but am curious what you all think? Also how do they handle 1st timers? They had me sign up for "Novice Riders School" and I am left wondering if anyone has gone through there "school" what your opinions are of it.

Gas? - does anyone have a preference on how they take their gas with them to the track day? I am going with 2 buddies and we will need a bunch of gas I am thinking.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-08-2007, 07:12 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

My first trackday I attended Fastrack riders Novice riders school. I highly recommend this class, even if your fast they will teach you things you would normally not think about.

California speedway is a great track and the surface is not perfect but has great traction.

I recommend a 5 gallon plastic gas can for each rider.

The main thing is have fun and take it easy, The track is very different from canyon riding.

Make sure you have new tires on your bikes and follow Fastrack riders bike prep recommendations on there web site.

One last thing Novice riders school is on the track at 08:00am for sighting laps, so get there early ready to ride. You do not go to the riders meeting, you are on the track during that.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-08-2007, 08:15 PM

Posting Frequency

As katoom said, you may be fast in the canyons but is a whole diffrent ball game on the track. Laguna was the best it ever been this year, theres no canyon with a surfuce like Laguna. Remember have fun and you'll be fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-08-2007, 08:36 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I ride those same canyons. The track is alot faster. Fastrack runs a tight ship. The school is worthwhile. Get to the track early. Have fun!!

WSMC #644
post #5 of 7 Old 08-09-2007, 05:26 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

fastrack is my fav organization to ride...they are a bit more pricey then most but they are very well organized and stay on the clock....i was planning on riding that weekend as well....got to use the "free trackday" coupon i won on 8/4.....see ya there!
post #6 of 7 Old 08-09-2007, 06:20 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Good words, Im going to my first track day this month and Ive got some exp friends to assist me. But the info is much appreiated.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-10-2007, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

KaTooM,Lvninja,pongo and socal thanks for the words of advice!
From the sound of it being an "expert" canyon rider and going crazy fast on those roads really doesnt translate very effectivly into track riding so I am glad am am going with fasttrackriders for my 1st time and it sounds like their novice class is exactly what I need.

I am taking the advice of many and am renting a trailer and hitching it up behind my buddies truck and driving (very early, arriving around 0600) to the event as opposed to riding there. I'll be the track-newb on the candy-blue zed-10.

thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in