2013 WERA GNF - Barber Motorsports Park - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-28-2013, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

2013 WERA GNF - Barber Motorsports Park

Don't see any threads on how ya'll all did so I thought I'd post up. Struggled on Fri and Sat but did OK at the Open Superstock National Championship on Sunday. Placed 9th. Top 10 finish ain't too bad. There were several DQs..."random" post-race tear downs for illegal parts/builds. Some drama for ya! Anyhoo, here's my time progression over the 8-lap race:

1:44:960
1:41:375
1:38:995
1:39:140
1:37:681
1:37:436
1:37:784
1:37:121

During the first four laps, I was trying to get around a couple of slower guys and there was a waving yellow flag at some point. Finally passed them at Charlotte's Web and then put the hammer down. Lap 8 was my fastest lap and I was still having trouble quick-shifting. This was my first sub-1:38 so I'm happy about that. I think (I hope) I see 1:35 to 1:36 next season!

I was losing time coming out of T17 on to the front straight...and that's where I felt the Kawasaki lacked low-end grunt. May switch to a 520 chain and one up rear sprocket to see how that works out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-28-2013, 04:26 PM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Awesome man!! Your right at the 36's now! Great job.

post #3 of 12 Old 10-28-2013, 06:47 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I had a poor start to the day on Saturday. First race, my engine started sputtering and I pulled in early as it was starting to be a hazard. Pulled the race gas out and filled it up with pump gas, reset the fuel map to zero. That resolved that issue. Second race I just couldn't get into a good rhythm, best lap was 1:37. Fast I suppose, but not my best. Last race I started to do poorly again but then something clicked in my head when I heard Chris start to close up on my with his Aprilia again. Put my head down and did a 1:35.3, my best lap by 1/2 second, but nowhere near good enough to be competitive in expert....got 11th place for that and the people behind me were catching up.

I skipped Sunday's races.

All in all, I'm disappointed in my year overall. I did get better, but not by a lot, especially at Roebling and Barber, both tracks saw marginal improvements this year from me. I earned several last place finishes and it's not the equipment at all, it's all me. I really need to think about what I'm going to do next year to improve. I'll be looking for race schools to attend at the start of the year for sure. I'm pretty consistent on 5 seconds behind the leaders...that's a LOT of time to make up and I just don't know where it's at yet...probably a bit of everywhere: braking, cornering, driving out of the turns. It's definitely not a lack of HP, holy cow the 10 is fast, especially with MR12.

Oh, and for gearing for Southeast tracks, I've been running +1 rear lately and just switching the front between 16 and 17 teeth for the different tracks.

------------
WERA Expert #43
2012 WERA National Challenge Series Open Superstock Novice Champion
http://maps.wera.com/racers/racerpro...30532136163864

COMET RACING LEATHERS

2011 ZX-10R Race bike (Vortex, Silkolene, Leatt, Yoshimura, BRIDGESTONE)
2013 ZX-6R 636 Race bike
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-29-2013, 04:18 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
kman, do you have a place you THINK your losing time? Drive out of the corners, turn in, straight-a-way speed, any place to start? Are you + in the rear at all?

post #5 of 12 Old 10-29-2013, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman0066 View Post
I had a poor start to the day on Saturday. First race, my engine started sputtering and I pulled in early as it was starting to be a hazard. Pulled the race gas out and filled it up with pump gas, reset the fuel map to zero. That resolved that issue. Second race I just couldn't get into a good rhythm, best lap was 1:37. Fast I suppose, but not my best. Last race I started to do poorly again but then something clicked in my head when I heard Chris start to close up on my with his Aprilia again. Put my head down and did a 1:35.3, my best lap by 1/2 second, but nowhere near good enough to be competitive in expert....got 11th place for that and the people behind me were catching up.

I skipped Sunday's races.

All in all, I'm disappointed in my year overall. I did get better, but not by a lot, especially at Roebling and Barber, both tracks saw marginal improvements this year from me. I earned several last place finishes and it's not the equipment at all, it's all me. I really need to think about what I'm going to do next year to improve. I'll be looking for race schools to attend at the start of the year for sure. I'm pretty consistent on 5 seconds behind the leaders...that's a LOT of time to make up and I just don't know where it's at yet...probably a bit of everywhere: braking, cornering, driving out of the turns. It's definitely not a lack of HP, holy cow the 10 is fast, especially with MR12.

Oh, and for gearing for Southeast tracks, I've been running +1 rear lately and just switching the front between 16 and 17 teeth for the different tracks.
You will find a way...that's what the winter is there for...some reflection.

Have you done a 520 conversion? I'm running plain 'ol 93 octane pump gas...
post #6 of 12 Old 10-29-2013, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
Awesome man!! Your right at the 36's now! Great job.
Thanks, friend. Ya...1:36 or less is my goal for next season.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-29-2013, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...orsports-park/

Got my (mis-spelled) name in RR World (Open SS # 9). Note the guys in expert and novice who failed/refused post-tech inspection. I'm glad they're doing the tear-downs...because I like to know that I'm competing on skill.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-29-2013, 11:25 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brilliantspeed View Post
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...orsports-park/

Got my (mis-spelled) name in RR World (Open SS # 9). Note the guys in expert and novice who failed/refused post-tech inspection. I'm glad they're doing the tear-downs...because I like to know that I'm competing on skill.
Your famous!!

post #9 of 12 Old 10-29-2013, 12:09 PM
Always On Mod

Posting Frequency

I haven't started racing yet, but I'm working on getting my lap times down at trackdays. Check out fastersafer.com, there's a lot of good subtle information there about how to ride faster. My 2 big take-aways on how to pick up time
1) get a notebook with a track map and write down observations after each session (race), I try to focus on 2-3 corners so I don't get overwhelmed.
2) watch videos of faster guys and take notes on their braking, turn-in, accel points
post #10 of 12 Old 10-29-2013, 12:35 PM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal11 View Post
I haven't started racing yet, but I'm working on getting my lap times down at trackdays. Check out fastersafer.com, there's a lot of good subtle information there about how to ride faster. My 2 big take-aways on how to pick up time
1) get a notebook with a track map and write down observations after each session (race), I try to focus on 2-3 corners so I don't get overwhelmed.
2) watch videos of faster guys and take notes on their braking, turn-in, accel points
Good advice right there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in