Newly Converted S1000RR Owner - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 08-30-2014, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Newly Converted S1000RR Owner

It's been a long road to get to this point, but I decided it was time for a change. I always had my eye on the ZX-10R, ever since I bought my S1000RR. I've had the BMW for about 2 years, and decided it was time for a switch. I just bought a new 13 ZX-10R today. I will be converting this bike into a race bike really soon. I'll have all my parts on order Tuesday because I have track day in 2 weeks and a race in 3. I'll list my planned mods below. Fell free to chime in on anything I may be forgetting.

-Akrapovic Slip-on and link pipe
-PCV w Autotune
-Dynojet quick shifter
-ECU reflash (haven't decided which one)
-K&N Race Filter
-Ohlins Steering Damper
-Ohlins Suspension
-Galfer steel braided brake lines
-R&G protection kit
-Woodcraft clip-ons
-520 conversion kit w DID ERV3 chain
-Vesrah Pads (either XX or 17, haven't decided yet)
-Brembo RCS19 master
-Sharkskinz bodywork
-Vortex rearsets
-Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen (although I would like to know which screens they use in WSBK, they look like they provide more wind protection from being wider)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 08-30-2014, 11:11 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage
Welcome bro hope you enjoy the 10R can I ask how did the beemer treat you??
post #3 of 33 Old 08-30-2014, 11:16 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage
Check out the guys on here with your flash man! ZXARCHER and ZXSILK not quite sure on the second name (sorry man) but if you do a search you will find very happy customers with both these guys mate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 08-30-2014, 11:19 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage
ZX10-SIC R was the second guy cheers
post #5 of 33 Old 08-30-2014, 11:40 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Newly Converted S1000RR Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyugoh View Post
It's been a long road to get to this point, but I decided it was time for a change. I always had my eye on the ZX-10R, ever since I bought my S1000RR. I've had the BMW for about 2 years, and decided it was time for a switch. I just bought a new 13 ZX-10R today. I will be converting this bike into a race bike really soon. I'll have all my parts on order Tuesday because I have track day in 2 weeks and a race in 3. I'll list my planned mods below. Fell free to chime in on anything I may be forgetting.

-Akrapovic Slip-on and link pipe

-PCV w Autotune

-Dynojet quick shifter

-ECU reflash (haven't decided which one)

-K&N Race Filter

-Ohlins Steering Damper

-Ohlins Suspension

-Galfer steel braided brake lines

-R&G protection kit

-Woodcraft clip-ons

-520 conversion kit w DID ERV3 chain

-Vesrah Pads (either XX or 17, haven't decided yet)

-Brembo RCS19 master

-Sharkskinz bodywork

-Vortex rearsets

-Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen (although I would like to know which screens they use in WSBK, they look like they provide more wind protection from being wider)

Welcome and congrats on the new 10R! I'm sure you will be Very happy with it.
As Peter said, Archer is the man for the reflash. Ton of options and Very affordable, especially compared to some others. Customer service and turn around are top notch. Check his threads out. He's constantly researching/testing and trying new stuff with the 10R. I haven't heard of the other guy mentioned, myself.
The steering damper should be electronic on yours correct? I have heard they were pretty well sorted by that year model. I have the '11 standard damper and had to send it out to be re-valved. Not bad as it costs $75 to upgrade and it performs on par with $400+ aftermarket options.
The windscreen I think is a preference thing. I don't think all WSBK have the same ones. Could be wrong though. A lot of people get the double bubble, but I can't stand the looks of it on this bike, and it seems to me that it would inevitably cause more drag. The Corsca I've owned and used for a while. It's ok. Not quite as vertical as the DB but it's taller than the standard (good for larger/taller riders that have a harder time fully tucking in. I prefer the standard personally. Think it looks the best and seems that it would have the least amount of drag, though that is just me speculating. There is also the new Marc 1. Basically the standard with a cut out up top, though sets more vertical than swept back via 1/4" spacers used between the screen and the body. Had that one too, though I just sold it.
Anyway, it looks like you have a good start on your upgrade list. Should be sweet when she's all set up!

What is best in life?..
TO CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES, TO SEE THEM DRIVEN BEFORE YOU, AND TO HEAR THE LAMENTATIONS OF THEIR WOMEN.
post #6 of 33 Old 08-31-2014, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterd10r View Post
Welcome bro hope you enjoy the 10R can I ask how did the beemer treat you??
The BMW was great. The reason I choose that over the ZX-10R originally was because I felt like it fit me better. (I was 6'5" 310 lbs when I bought it) The things that I disliked about the S1000RR:

-Parts were really expensive
-Short gearing (I have to shorten my gearing to keep up with the smaller guys on the track, and that always kills my top end)
-The pogo effect on the TC

Other then that it was a great bike and treated me really well. I only rode it on the track, so I don't have any street knowledge of the bike.

I have been searching for exhaust and reflashes. I haven't decided who to go with yet.
post #7 of 33 Old 08-31-2014, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTH-FIGHTER View Post
Welcome and congrats on the new 10R! I'm sure you will be Very happy with it.
As Peter said, Archer is the man for the reflash. Ton of options and Very affordable, especially compared to some others. Customer service and turn around are top notch. Check his threads out. He's constantly researching/testing and trying new stuff with the 10R. I haven't heard of the other guy mentioned, myself.
The steering damper should be electronic on yours correct? I have heard they were pretty well sorted by that year model. I have the '11 standard damper and had to send it out to be re-valved. Not bad as it costs $75 to upgrade and it performs on par with $400+ aftermarket options.
The windscreen I think is a preference thing. I don't think all WSBK have the same ones. Could be wrong though. A lot of people get the double bubble, but I can't stand the looks of it on this bike, and it seems to me that it would inevitably cause more drag. The Corsca I've owned and used for a while. It's ok. Not quite as vertical as the DB but it's taller than the standard (good for larger/taller riders that have a harder time fully tucking in. I prefer the standard personally. Think it looks the best and seems that it would have the least amount of drag, though that is just me speculating. There is also the new Marc 1. Basically the standard with a cut out up top, though sets more vertical than swept back via 1/4" spacers used between the screen and the body. Had that one too, though I just sold it.
Anyway, it looks like you have a good start on your upgrade list. Should be sweet when she's all set up!
Thanks. I looked at the DB screen, but thought I would get more protection from the Corsa since I am a bigger rider. The steering damper is electronic, and I heard your couldn't re-valve those. So I will have to get another one. I like GPR but thought I would try out the linear Ohlins damper on this bike.
post #8 of 33 Old 08-31-2014, 08:30 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyugoh View Post
Thanks. I looked at the DB screen, but thought I would get more protection from the Corsa since I am a bigger rider. The steering damper is electronic, and I heard your couldn't re-valve those. So I will have to get another one. I like GPR but thought I would try out the linear Ohlins damper on this bike.

Yeah the Corsa should give you plenty of protection, and will still look good with the lines on the bike. It worked very well for me (6'2"), I just prefered the SD aesthetically.
So the stock E. damper isn't that affective then? I know Kawi made them basically useless in the earlier models for liability reasons. Guess they're sticking with that line of thinking.

What is best in life?..
TO CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES, TO SEE THEM DRIVEN BEFORE YOU, AND TO HEAR THE LAMENTATIONS OF THEIR WOMEN.
post #9 of 33 Old 08-31-2014, 08:57 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

If your going to ride track only get the kit ecu and wiring harness. It gives you the option to adjust the TC (it needs it!), you don't need a reflash, and it opens up a few more options on the bike. You can build your own com cable for less than $50 (google will bring it up). Also a rear shock linkage will be another big item to add. Depending on your pace the calipers may give you some brake fade after 4-5 laps. There's a few caliper options that are a direct swap for roughly $200.

Last edited by dricked; 08-31-2014 at 08:59 AM.
post #10 of 33 Old 08-31-2014, 10:52 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Welcome fellow Houstonian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in