Gen 4: 2011-2015 New member, new owner 1st post - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 11-24-2014, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

New member, new owner 1st post

Greetings all you Kwackers. I just purchased a spanking new '14R abs 10 days ago here in Southern California. This 4,000 rpm break-in is a pain in the arse! Stupid cagers tail gate me on the freeway even though I'm in the slow lane.

I plan on keeping this bad boy pretty much stock, for at least 9 months before I upgrade anything (other than tires of course). If I do, make changes, it'll be suspension upgrade 1st, maybe clutch/brake levers 2nd and braided brake lines 3rd. Yeah, I'm actually gonna leave the stock pipe on and leave the engine/ electrics alone. Plastics and drilled bolts application before I do a track day.

I almost bought the S1kRR, but couldn't agree on a $$$. Also heard about some of their electrical issues so sayonara to that choice. I've never owned a liter bike (sport bike), but I still have and am keeping my KTM990S. Also had the 600r (sold) and my ZX-7 (still have). So, obviously the 7 is underpowered (94 hp's), I decided to bump to a liter bike.

So, track day school awaits. I also have to lose some weight before I stuff my fat behind in my old suit.

I do like researching all of the good info on this site. But just one thing...dayum you gotta really crouch to ride this scoot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-06-2014, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

only 200 miles on break in

I did the dual sport ride LA-Barstow to Las Vegas ride on my KTM 990 with my son last month. On day 2, we checked in at Baker, CA. I was on the powerline road in the sand and hit a rock. It tossed me off the bike onto my left side. 4 broken ribs. Now I'm laid up at home and can finish breaking in the new '14. So, all I get to do is look at the bike and read your posts.

Thanks, but I don't need anyone to ride my bike. Just in case you wanted to ask.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-07-2014, 03:54 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Thumbs up

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-07-2014, 09:30 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Brake it in on the track!

One session, change oil, a couple more sessions and change to semi synthetic, call it a day until next normal oil change when you go to full synthetic

1990 CR 125 - blow'd up
2005 SV1000s - sold
2012 ZX-10R - sold
1987 YZF600 Track-only death machine
post #5 of 12 Old 12-10-2014, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacp_daddy View Post
Brake it in on the track!

One session, change oil, a couple more sessions and change to semi synthetic, call it a day until next normal oil change when you go to full synthetic
I can barely roll out of bed on my own without the ribs aching. Much less curling up on the green liter bike. Now, mama says she wants me to get that airbag vest and a different set of leathers before I race. Anybody else seen/have/use an airbag vest? I was looking at Hit Air vests. They have one specifically for track/race bike. Leathers? I'll just shop around for that. I know that'll be an easy $1200-$1500 here in Southern California. Man....this ain't cheaphttps://zx-10r.net/forum/images/smilies/smilies/icon_sad.gif
post #6 of 12 Old 12-11-2014, 04:04 AM
Kawasaki Whisperer

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to MrMoto73
hope u heal up quick!

I DON"T HAZ ANY SNYDER PROBLEMS
post #7 of 12 Old 12-11-2014, 05:28 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Welcome! Suck to hear about the crash, heal up soon!

post #8 of 12 Old 12-12-2014, 02:49 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Welcome & get well soon

HardRacing.com - 704-799-2192
OHLINS Premier Dealer_Great Prices, Tech.Support, Full Staff of Sales Reps, Fast WORLD WIDE Shipping, Large Inventory and Excellent Customer Service.
Celebrating our 16th year in business.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-16-2014, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thanks for all the welcome and well wishes. 17 days into recovery and all I can do is go to the garage and stare at the bike. My sandwich maker said that I better not think about getting on it yet.

While I keep thinking about a track day, I have since ordered from pro bolt a magnetic oil drain bolt and oil filler cap and front brake caliper bolts. All pre-drilled. Also got the Cox radiator guard yesterday.

I have considered after market lever(s). Has anybody changed out their clutch lever for a shorty lever? I doubt that it's really necessary to change out the front brake, but for those who have changed it, does it really make a difference?
And then which brand did you go with and if you had a choice which do you prefer? I know Pazzo is pricey, but I do like the look and detail that goes into it.

Oh yeah, let me remind you, I have about as many sponsors to pay for this stuff as there are beer commercial supermodels in my jacuzzi..."0"!
post #10 of 12 Old 01-13-2015, 04:30 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

nice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in