Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Me & my ZX-10R powered SCCA race car ...

4K views 66 replies 40 participants last post by  red636girl 
#1 ·
Hi, all. I'm here to absorb as much info from you as I can about the ZX-10R engine. I am installing a 2005 ZX-10R engine into my formula car to compete in Sports Car Club of America's new Formula 1000 class.

Attached is an early picture of my project. It's slow progress, but coming together. Suzuki and Yamaha engines are the most popular thus far. I look forward to getting out there in my green machine.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Thanks for the numerous quick welcomes. I get the impression that this will be a great community.

A little more info:

2007 is the first year for the new F1000 class. Bike powered sports cars have been around for a few years but this is the first time for formula cars (single seat, open wheel) with wings. A lot of people are very excited about the class. 6 speed sequential gear boxes, light weight and a beautiful sound at full song. (I feel like I'm preaching to the choir. :).

There are a few manufactures hurrying new chassis designs to market. They'll be in the $40,000 - $55,000 range. Too high for me. My race car has raced in the Formula Continental / Formula Ford 2000 class for a few years. I removed the heavy Pinto 4 cyl & racing transmission. The ZX-10R power plant is MUCH lighter, and I'll gain a few HP. It should be a fun ride.

You can see some pictures here, including my dry sump pan:

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20549

#12 ·
:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

#26 ·
Need to emulate bike rear engine mounts ...

Okay, here's a technical question I have regarding the rear engine mounts.

I've just obtained the stock bolts that hold the rear of the engine in place. These are pretty interesting, the way they slide into the special aluminum bushings.

I need to make custom mounts/brackets to hold the back of the engine in my race car chassis (I've gotten the front engine mounts figured out). The problem is, I'm totally unfamiliar with the ZX-10R chassis, so I'm not sure how to duplicate the bike mounts in my car. I'm sure the japanese engineers put a lot of good thought into this, so I'd like to emulate the bike chassis mounts as closely as possible.

Here's a picture, showing the nifty aluminum screw-in bushing, with the long special bolt that goes through it.

I'm having a hard time imagining exactly how these parts mate to the chassis.

Anyone have pictures or a good description of what the bike chassis looks like in this area?

TIA.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.