Gen 3: 2008-2010 Initial Overview and Experience - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 11-17-2014, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Initial Overview and Experience

Hey Folks, have to post my first few thoughts about this bike. Picked up my 2008 Zx10R in the fastest color 2 days ago. Simply unreal. I'm 40 years old, new rider purchased a CBR500R last spring as my first motorcycle. For what its worth that motorcycle was a terrific machine to get into motorcycling but everyone here knows what it lacks. I hit the rev limiter on it from day one. Power aside it taught some skill, I commuted on it, got rid of my car and clocked 15 000km over the past 6 months.

So the quest began for more power..what next...I had narrowed a short list down to 2 Motorcycles a good used example 2013 Zx6R (1500km like new) and new leftover 2012 GSXR 750. Both around 10K Canadian. Before I pulled the trigger, the GSXR 750 sold and so I got ready to make the deal on the 636. I took one extra day to confirm I would be happy long term with a middle weight Sportbike. I purposefully disregarded the litre bike possibility for a number of reasons. Valid or not they are generally perceived to be an unwise purchase for newer riders like me and the fact that insurance is a substantial jump into that category. Talking it over with the salesman the next day, who owned an R1, said ultimately the rider is in control of the throttle. In all honesty he said the choices I had narrowed down too earlier could also be just as brutal if not respected. He also pointed out I may like the litre bike more, the torque I enjoyed on the 500 will be more available on the bigger bore 1000cc. Okay so I sat on 2006 GSXR1000 meh wrong color (red) and felt kind of heavy tbh. Cool Black 2006 Fireblade but felt raw and in the cockpit I dunno exactly, it was a feeling like I could get tossed off or not really plugged in sort of speak and underseat exhaust was a minus. 2009 R1 sounded fantastic (had all bikes fired up) but it was yellow. Then the Zx10R 2008 with 6500km Leo Vince slip on nice tail tidy already done and PClll under the back seat. Like the 636 the Zx10R just felt right. Sounded smoothest, looked fantastically sinister and priced to move in the off season. $7950.00 Canadian otd. Whether some think that's too much its substantially less than I was willing to spend days before. No test ride but did ask the salesman to take it for a ripper the day before I come to pick it up to assure everything is in order...I trust him and the dealer that mechanically it will be sound. Besides what the hell do I know to compare it too lol. I wanted to reserve the thrill of riding this beast post purchase.

Before getting on to my first few days experience with the Zx10R I have to thank the forums here for helping me make my choice. Just great information is shared on this site I truly do appreciate everyone's insight and contributions.

Okay first off I don't think I'll ever know this machine has a rev limiter. It will be a long time before I nibble away at the potential this absolute powerhouse serves up. Its thrilling, had a 4th gear rush to maybe 10.5 thousand on the tach. Not sure how fast but my helmet getting unsettled like never before told me it was faster than the CBR could ever go. So check mark on Power. If you need more get a fighter jet. More than I'll need but exactly what I wanted.

Handling, well it feels great and controlled. It was close to freezing last few days so I stayed in the sun during the afternoons and didn't push corners for a lot of reasons. Its lighter than the heavy beginner CBR and feels like a precision instrument that will allow me to become a better rider. This was a concern of mine that since I'll be so preoccupied reigning in the power the opportunity to learn would suffer. After a few days I can say that this bike handles beautifully and will be a good teacher. Combination of torque and handling make it a dream to just cruise at a steady pace. I will say that slow speed maneuvering is minor challenge but that goes for any bike in this class. Btw the threads dedicated to sorting out the pulling to the right gremlins, I'll say for the brief time I did let go I did not notice it perhaps after more experience on it I'll add to that observation.

Ergos like I said before it feels perfect for me. Its perhaps a less aggressive rake than the 2013 636. I'm 5'10'' 175lbs and I nearly flat foot at stops. Can slide way back in the saddle if I want. And standing up slightly on the pegs when road gets rough in spots is not awkward at all because feet are almost underneath the torso. After 1-2 hours riding the ability to stand and have a short stretch was something I liked to do on the more standard seating position of the CBR. No problem doing the same on this bike. Good tank grips are in order but even without I felt I could still get a good hold of the tank with my knees/thighs. I really feel this bike could easily suit a rider shorter or taller than myself go sit on one and try it on for size because its worth consideration.

In short how I ended up with this particular bike doesn't matter just very happy things turned out this way. Its a great looking machine with handling and stonking engine to match. I will never tell anyone litre bikes are too much power if you have any common sense. As many in this community say get what you love, get what makes you feel alive and special. The 2008 Zx10R does that for me. Remember you only live once my only regret is that I didn't discover riding years ago. Thanks Kawasaki and thanks ZX-10R.net.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vp3840448_1a2_large.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	296442   Click image for larger version

Name:	vp3840448_4_large.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	296450   Click image for larger version

Name:	vp3840448_2_large.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	296458  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-17-2014, 07:32 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Welcome to the party!

Looks like you got yourself a wicked machine. Respect it and treat it well and you'll have a blast for as long as you own it.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 10 Old 11-17-2014, 08:53 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Welcome aboard

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-17-2014, 08:55 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Nice welcome to the show.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-17-2014, 03:13 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

nice! looks like mine

Its green and it says Kawasaki ninja zx10r on it!
post #6 of 10 Old 11-17-2014, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Yes indeed what a fine party it is.... this bike absolutely rips. Thanks for checking the thread out guys. I appreciate the welcome wholeheartedly.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-18-2014, 07:32 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Welcome! Green is fastest BTW. Everybody knows that.

2016 GSX-S1000
08 10r Sold
post #8 of 10 Old 11-18-2014, 08:02 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Welcome to the site. Enjoy the new bike!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Op- View Post
Unless Scout says dont do it. Then, really, just do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
I know its blistering fast but you cant outrun ugly.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-18-2014, 09:03 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter View Post
welcome! Green is fastest btw. Everybody knows that.
true!

Its green and it says Kawasaki ninja zx10r on it!
post #10 of 10 Old 11-23-2014, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

This awesome machine gets better every ride. Got the wheel up a bit in 2nd came down straight and launched into 3rd and I mean launched. Its like a time machine. Still taking small bites to be sure. Handled beautifully in the cold November rain. Its pure madness and I love it. Obviously no rider aids on this beast to help out if things go sideways. Kind of like rubbing your cats belly. Get too comfortable and lose concentration you will get bit. Absolutely thrilling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in