Hi everyone - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 01-05-2019, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Hi everyone

'Sup? Picked up an 04 project for the new year. Got it real cheap from a dude who owned it three months, rode it once, blew a couple fuses on it, and got scared of electrical problems... but I work on British and Italian stuff and I ain't scurred of the angry pixies in the wires, lol. It's in rough shape though. Shitty ziptied race fairings, broken subframe, jerry-rigged lights, ebay rearsets and mismatched controls. I wanted to see if I could make this a nice stock-looking bike again on a shoestring budget while I'm on furlough from my shop this month, but after some googling I already fell down a rabbit hole of 3rd gen swingarm swaps to 1st gens, so I figured I better register here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-05-2019, 04:31 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

and good luck with the rebuild

post #3 of 5 Old 01-05-2019, 08:03 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Welcome mate, there's nothing like a budget build thread to keep as all amused LOL but seriously all you'll ever need to know is here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-05-2019, 09:27 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Good deal. Subscribed. Pictures?
post #5 of 5 Old 01-06-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael4012 View Post
Welcome mate, there's nothing like a budget build thread to keep as all amused LOL but seriously all you'll ever need to know is here.
Lmao! thanks dude.

Here it is, the morning after I picked it up:

"the morning after" is pretty apt, because I bought it in the freezing dark 40 miles away in a different city, and this was my first good look at it. Pretty sketched out at this point, but I kept reminding myself that with what I paid, as soon as I can get it to fire up, I could sell it as a runningproject bike without doing any other work and make a couple hundred bucks.

Got it onto a lift and cut all the shitty plastics off and started to feel better about my life choices again. Charged the battery, replaced two fuses, and it would crank but not run. Pulled the tank and airbox and cleaned the injectors, and she fires up! The main frame, engine, suspension, brakes, and exhaust look pretty solid. I've already got a subframe and a handlebar coming from ebay, and I'll re-evaluate the questionable swingarm once I've got those on. It's got 30something-k miles and no service history to speak of so I guess I'll check the valves while I'm waiting for parts to ship and see if I can track down and fix whatever made it blow fuses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in