Here From the Ninja 300 forum - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 08-15-2015, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Here From the Ninja 300 forum

Hello, all.
In January I had never been on a bike at all and had very little experience with a manual transmission.
So to preserve my skin and learn how to actually handle a bike and not let a bike handle me. I picked up a 2015 Ninja 300. Which I put 5891 miles on in the coarse of 7 months.

I was getting a little to content on that little thing, so I did a quick search on cycle trader and was looking for a 600, or a GSXR750 at the biggest.
But I really wanted to keep with a Ninja.
I sent Lexington motorsport in Ky, a message reference a 2015 GSXR600 they had marked down to $8500.

The next morning just for giggles I checked what insurance would run me, ended up at like $604 a month...... So that was a big NEGATIVE.
A few minutes later a sales person from Lexington MS, called and asked me if I wanted to come look at the Gixxer, but after explaining the whole insurance thing, he suggested I looked into some older bikes. Which at the time, I was not really interested in, but just to be nice I listened to what this guy had to offer.
He mentioned a 2009 ZX10R for $6500... My first response was..... Ok, whats wrong with it? He laughed abit and said nothing at all. And sent me a pic, *****Insert picture here*****

then went on to say, it only had 4180miles.
This immediately spiked my interest, and I set up to go look at it that following Friday.
On the spot I fell in love with this beautiful monster, and filed the paper work right there. I got a call Monday morning to come pick 'er up.

So as of Monday, I got on something other than my 300 for the first time and man.... was it awesome.
It was a bit of a learning experience for me as I tried to navigate downtown Lexington KY, (University of Kentucky's campus) on a new literbike in rush hour traffic.
When I made it home, 65miles away I was quite sore from the extremely tight steering and rock hard suspension. And honestly the bike was useless for a hard acceleration as the front wheel would pop up constantly.

To remedy this issue, yesterday I called Ohlins and spoke a really friendly guy from the "race technician" line and he gave me a quick rundown of the suspension on my bike, and gave me directions on where to find the information on correctly setting my suspension up for my size (which is abit of a task, as I am a rather small rider at 140lbs)
With the recruitment of my dad, to hold the bike upright and take the measurements, we got the bike dialed in per the instructions from ohlins, and from Dave Moss's instructions on youtube from a class he taught.
I had to basically back the front and rear suspension almost all the way off, and turned the damper (which was set at 100%, explains why I was sore from navigating Lexington) back to 40% where it feels perfect.

Anyways, I know this has been abit long winded, but I get a little carried away talking about this new toy of mine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-15-2015, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I couldn't figure out how to edit my post to insert the photo... so here it is
tdh likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-15-2015, 05:22 PM
Judge Dredd Mod

Posting Frequency

Dan!!

Where are the pics of this 'new toy'??

BURNOUT.....
Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-15-2015, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I tried to post them, but I couldn't figure out how to edit the original post. So I tried to put it in as a reply, but it said it is awaiting moderator approval
post #5 of 11 Old 08-15-2015, 05:40 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Please get some high-quality instruction and look into track days.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-15-2015, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Fang View Post
Please get some high-quality instruction and look into track days.
I was really looking into a trackday on the little 300 at the National Corvette Museum track here in KY, but I started saving pennies to put down on a new bike... once I get a good feel for this new addition to the garage, I am defently loading er' up on the trailer and heading to bowling green!
White Fang likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-15-2015, 06:03 PM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDanAgain View Post
I was really looking into a trackday on the little 300 at the National Corvette Museum track here in KY, but I started saving pennies to put down on a new bike... once I get a good feel for this new addition to the garage, I am defently loading er' up on the trailer and heading to bowling green!
Welcome!! I'll be down there (NCM) riding with my club (MCRA) in October. We were the first motorcycle club to ride/race on that track last October. Would be awesome if you could make it!

post #8 of 11 Old 08-15-2015, 06:11 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDanAgain View Post
I tried to post them, but I couldn't figure out how to edit the original post. So I tried to put it in as a reply, but it said it is awaiting moderator approval
Sorry for the Delay I just approved your Pictures....Welcome to the Site!!!

Bluedevil

Sent from My Computer via DSL mid to low service Firefox updated version, sometimes wireless sometimes Wire from the garage depending on connection speed.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-15-2015, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdh View Post
Welcome!! I'll be down there (NCM) riding with my club (MCRA) in October. We were the first motorcycle club to ride/race on that track last October. Would be awesome if you could make it!
Im looking forward to it!
tdh likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-16-2015, 09:29 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to pmason718
Is the Orange zx10 for sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in