General info about Chains and sprockets! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 03-21-2010, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

General info about Chains and sprockets!

i'm trying to become more technically inclined with motorcycles and would like to know more about chains and sprockets such as; what happens when you go +/- in the front ? what happens when you go +/- in the rear? what does a 520 conversion mean? whats stock on the 10R's? and how do i know what mine has if it has been modified?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-21-2010, 10:55 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrekevans View Post
i'm trying to become more technically inclined with motorcycles and would like to know more about chains and sprockets such as; what happens when you go +/- in the front ? what happens when you go +/- in the rear? what does a 520 conversion mean? whats stock on the 10R's? and how do i know what mine has if it has been modified?
Going down in the front lowers your gearing taking what you have up top and putting it down low, same thing with going up in the rear. Adds torque and makes the bike more fun around town and on certain tracks if your not concerned with top speeds. Going up on the front or down in the rear lengthens your gears and allows you to go faster up top but slower getting there down low.

520 conversion is the width of the chain and sprocket, going with the 520 reduces unsprung rotational mass, some say this is bad with the power of the modern liter bikes but Ive had no problems with mine, they just wear a bit faster. The 04-05 had 17/39 gearing, the 06-07 had 17/40 but Im not sure on the 08-010.

I personally went -1 up front and +1 in the rear and havent looked back, Im not a top speed junky and love the torque down low

post #3 of 5 Old 03-21-2010, 11:48 PM
Licensed Dist of HaterAde

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to TMY10ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by flthy1 View Post
I personally went -1 up front and +1 in the rear and havent looked back, Im not a top speed junky and love the torque down low

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-21-2010, 11:53 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMY10ER View Post

post #5 of 5 Old 03-23-2010, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

when you say +1 or -1...do you mean +1 more tooth on the sprocket compared to the stock one? what size is our stock chain on the 04 10r if the 520 is a smaller one? If i bought my bike with the sprockets changed, how can I tell if its +/- a certain number?
thank you, i love this forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in