Gen 4 New guy in Cottage Grove MN - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-07-2015, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Gen 4 New guy in Cottage Grove MN

Hi all,

New to motorcycling as of last year. Started on a 2014 zx6-r and upgraded to a 10-r this weekend. I like the bike quite bit but feel that while the increase in acceleration was a welcome addition to the fun factor - it felt manageable as long as you progressively tested the boundaries.

I felt pretty confident on the 6r to point of going out for a 'group ride' a few weeks ago. Managed to keep the rubber side down .. +1. With 70 miles on my new bike, it seems like I could do the group ride thing just as easily, but am not sure if there are any other restrictions than the keeping the rpm's below a specific threshold (8k?) for the break-in period (and riding towards the back of the group of course.) Anyone feel this is a bad idea?

For reference I came from a cycling background so basic approaches to turns, don't fixate on a target ,etc.. I feel confident with those basics.

I'd Also like to take the bike out to one of the track days once the break-in period has expired. Not sure what I'd need for that. Would it be ok to use the stock tires that came with the bike?

Lastly - I've read that Kawi sets the front chainring? tall (17t?) in order to prevent noobs from killing themselves as soon as they leave the parking lot. Will dropping to 16t have a noticeable effect? I'd like to work the gears a little more - similar to the 6r.

Any advice or direction for the soon to be noob track day motorcyclist would be appreciated.

Also - if any of you happen to be in the MSP or STP area - I could use some peeps to ride with. My neighborhood has mostly Hardley's.. hehe.

Thanks in Advance,

Alex (38yr old with a kid - completely interested in coming home in one piece )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-15-2015, 09:27 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Welcome, try checking out the search feature of this forum or you can go to: The ZX-10R - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net for generation specific questions and specifications. Hope that helps and ride safe on the road.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-15-2015, 01:22 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Welcome!

The -1 should wake it up a good bit, but shouldn't make it too crazy if you can control your throttle input. I'd think the stock tires would be ok to do a track day on, not the best but just remember that when out on the track and have some fun!

I'd say check out ZARS for some track days. I know a lot of buddies that have gone and really love it. I've never went as I'm more of a drag racer guy but heard great things.

Zalusky Advanced Riding School

Can always check out mnsbr for local guys to do group rides with.
MNSBR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-15-2015, 03:29 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I run -1 and its ample peppy!

2013 ZX-10R | Woolich Racing Tuned | M4 GP | Riflemans Throttle Insert | 3D GP 520 -1/+2 | Sato Racing Rearset | Zero G Windscreen | LED projection headlamps | Respring & valving front/rear suspension | 110% Squid
post #5 of 11 Old 06-15-2015, 03:46 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Welcome!

Yep, go down one on the front, that will liven it up.

Also you can start adjusting and tuning the ECU as there are restrictions inside of it. I do sell the kits to flash and tune your bike and am local (Fargo) so I can deliver and help install as well as help you get a solid starting tune. No need for a Power Commander or anything as everything is done inside the ECU. That will help increase the midrange grunt and turn the top end into a monster.

C3L1CA touched on ZARS, but there is also Road Closed Promotions which runs primarily at DCTC doing track days there. All various skill levels are welcome. I think their website is Road Closed Promotions | Road Closed Promotions if not just Google Road Closed Promotions.

He also touched on MNSBR... that's where most of us MN people are at. There is another cities based group called Zero Gravity Empire... everyone has their opinion on them. I keep my mouth shut about my personal feelings and let people form their own opinion of that group.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-24-2015, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thanks all for the great information.

Jaynvius1 - there are so many bike forums when I looked, I wasn't sure they were even all real or used.

C3L1CA and aaron403 - I have a 16T front sprocket on order. Now just need to find a Kawi service dept that can do the 600m service that isn't booked out until Mid July.

Archer - I would be interested in your service to give the bike some more mid-range grunt. Everything is coming around quickly and while its something that will be done.. I'm trying to work through the logistics of getting set up to do track days right now. Once that's taken care of, I may be seeking you out :)

There is definitely a mix of all skill levels of riders where I live. If there's not a group ride on MNSBR, or ZG, one can always head down to Prescott which is like a bike Utopia for all kinds of riders. Just hang out at the gas station long enough and there will be bikers passing through to hook up with.

Take care all - and thanks for the welcome!
post #7 of 11 Old 06-24-2015, 10:00 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Which version of the new one? Hoping another 30th Anniv. :-)
post #8 of 11 Old 07-15-2015, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thumbs up

Dj Devil - its the Black with green accents, 2015.

Update -

Took some advice from C3L1CA and tried the ZARS DCTC weekend this past weekend. Loved it! There were lots of great instructors out there who made sure we always had something to work on in order to be safer and more efficient riders. Even taking one session at ZARS really helps you understand that you know nothing about riding a motorcycle correctly. After two days out there on that short techincal track, my legs and body were destroyed!

Archer - I've been reading a forum thread about the Woolrich flash pacakge and had some questions. I'm guessing you would be using this setup?

Reading that you're an EE gives me confidence to make the trip up and pay you a visit. Just need to figure out some logistics and pricing. Hoping to get it all squeezed in before BIR August 8th and 9th. Will shoot you a PM with my contact information.

Again, thanks for all the welcoming advice and information. I've stumbled into a great group of people both here in the forums, as well as out on the track.

Take Care -

Alex
post #9 of 11 Old 07-15-2015, 01:47 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Glad to hear you liked the ZARS track day! I've never personally done one but heard great things about them.

Archer got me one of the Woolich packages and its pretty sweet. Its a little more overwhelming than say a powercommander 5 but there is a lot of maps on the map share site and Archer is a great resource.

Depending on how much you mod your bike the flash and race tools package doesn't really cost all that much more, possibly less if bought all new, than if you bought all the equivalent power commander stuff.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-16-2015, 07:51 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp247365 View Post
Archer - I've been reading a forum thread about the Woolrich flash pacakge and had some questions. I'm guessing you would be using this setup?

Reading that you're an EE gives me confidence to make the trip up and pay you a visit. Just need to figure out some logistics and pricing. Hoping to get it all squeezed in before BIR August 8th and 9th. Will shoot you a PM with my contact information.
Sounds good. I am able to drive it down and help with the install and setup if you want too. Shoot me a few extra bucks for gas and we'll be golden. If you have any questions, shoot me a message or see my signature block for contact info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in