Gen 1: 2004-2005 Gen 1 Throwing Code 23 Turns over but won't start!!! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By michael4012

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 05-11-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Gen 1 Throwing Code 23 Turns over but won't start!!!

Hi, ZX10R.net!!! New Gen 1 Member here Thanks for having me! I have been reading all over online for months on zx10s and figure that I could Hopefully find out my problem HERE if anywhere...
BUT I do have very weird peculiar problems with almost everything that I touch...so fair warning!
So, I purchased a 2005 ZX10R in Magma Red that has been used across the country as a 1/4 mile drag bike and kept inside. The Previous owner dropped a valve racing it because of the Airshifter "which I have removed" Then for a replacement he purchased a "small" ported head and amidst his mechanic finishing up building the bike his mechanic died. I see it online for sale and I go purchase the bike and was informed that Everything was done besides the fact that they simply couldn't get the fuel to the Injectors and doesn't know why. So, I go home pull the tank & pump out to discover that there was a broken wire on the side of the fuel pump. So, I ordered a new Battery, Fuel pump and cleaned the housing out.. The bike turns over great, lights come on, horn works etc...but I couldn't get any lights to power up on my Power Commander V. So, I then removed it to eliminate if it in case it were a bad PCV and installed a stock ECU...No Dice. Then I installed my ECU with a Shnitz tune...No Dice! Bike ONLY throws code 23 for Cam Position Sensor or Open Wiring. So, I tested the Cam Sensor with a multimeter to discover that it was in fact on the lower end of Specs which is 400-460ohm mine was @ 417ohm. So, I purchase a used OEM Cam Sensor and it tests
@ 447ohm plug it up and then test all the way by the ECU and am only losing 3ohms...The cam position wire looks Great from front to back! Someone Please Help me I've tried everything I know!!!
Also on a side not I feel that I should mention the fact that I noticed that the kickstand swings up and hits the the bottom of my shifter bracket " Right where the rubber boot meets the shifter linkage". The Kickstand Switch and Speed Sensor were bypassed...So, I installed proper insulated water proof connectors and installed the correct OEM plugs for both. The bike is having an issues staying in Neutral without moving the bike and I believe what it is doing is
preventing fuel from the Injectors because the Cyl ID doesn't know where the pistons are because of the "Cam Sensor" and that is the only reason that it won't allow fuel to Injectors.
I feel that the problem has to be an Electrical Issue of some sort and sure am hoping from some Insight from people much wiser than me on this subject!!!

Thanks in advance for ANY Help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-12-2019, 12:28 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

The head has been swapped out & you don't know the skill level of the mechanics, good you checked the resistance and wiring, its a chance that the sensor is not picking up the cam ie it is to far away from the pin on the exhaust cam, it needs to be close. Use feeler gauges to check the gap and shot for 0.1mm. If the engine is running and the ECU losses the position of the cam shaft it will keep working by last known position until the ignition is turned off but when ignition is turned back on the ECU has no memory of the cam shaft position so says fuck you stops the fuel and throws code 23. Are you getting any other codes?? The kick stand could be triggering the fuel cut on the shifter. I don't know what make shifter it is so on a paddock stand put the kick stand up so it cant trigger the shifter and see what happens, unplug the side stand switch "bridge it" then see what happens.
MikeMacZX10R likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-12-2019, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thanks michael4012 for the quick response...This is True about the mechanics and Hmmmm I'll have to try and go bridge the Kickstand switch and give that a go! Yes, Code 23 is the Only code that she is throwing. Once I figured out how to enter dealer mode 2 then I saw code 11 as well as 23 but I believe that I took care of code 11 when I made up the wires and installed OEM plug connectors from another harness for the kickstand switch as well as the Speed Sensor plugged up and just have them sitting there for the moment. The shifter that you asked about is just the OEM foot shifter. They made a metal bracket that the airshifter mounted to. I sure was hoping to find some obvious problem on this beast that has been overlooked. . . as I'm ready to go do some wheelies!
So, I've kinda of just been going over the Harness, checking Pins, Plugs and reading online when I can. I ride 2 stroke dirt bikes and this is a whole different ball game but I bought her and now I need to fix her! So, unfortunately I'm learning as I go kinda deal.
Has anyone ever had trouble from a Gear Shift Sensor but no code being thrown for it?? The bike will show Neutral on the gauges but then while turning over not and "sometimes I can turn it over 10 times others it does it the first time" then when I push down on the shifter it will show Neutral back on the gauges without actually changing a single gear physically...So, it leads me to believe that all of this had something to do with the Airshifter? Also, I should mention that the chain is left loose at the moment because the stretch was shorted so that it would fit in the back of a truck and I plan to go back to a stock wheel base down the road but it ran an 8.84 in the 1/4 NA with only a strapped front end, lowered and an airshifter with 185lb rider + now it has this "Small Ported Head" and I'm Light so it should be fun!
Any Ideas or things that I may not have checked will be appreciated!!! I'm going to bridge that kickstand swithc right now and see if it will light the candles some how!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-12-2019, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Both ECUs throwing Code 23 instantly

I want to go ahead and also mention the fact that I have 2 ECUs that both throw Code 23 instantly and a Power Commander V that does not light up when installed so I went back with the ECU that was on the bike with the Schnitz flash. As long as the bike is in Neutral on the gauges "It is ALWAYS in Neutral anyways" it will turn over fine...
New tested Battery, all Grounds cleaned, Fuses checked, Wiring checked...hee'eellllp LoL also I'm trying to upload a pic of it for ya'l but ever time that I drag and drop it just dissapears no matter where I extract it from. . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cam position sensor, code 23, turns over, wiring issue, won't start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in